iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch game recommendations

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

itlgames

Re: Post your iPod Touch games here

Post by itlgames » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:21 pm

Hi, sorry to ask, but anyone who has tried "Alone", would you mind to share your honest rating? I am getting some bad ratings on UK and US, no comments, just 1/5 and 2/5 star ratings, and no idea why! If I could get some feedback from that people I could try to improve it, but I'm totally clueless...
Last edited by itlgames on Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:38 pm

That's bonkers! I just added a review and rated it for you.
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

itlgames

Post by itlgames » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:02 pm

markopoloman wrote:That's bonkers! I just added a review and rated it for you.
Thanks for your support!

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:32 pm

ooh! The C64 app is free today :D
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

itlgames

Post by itlgames » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:08 am

thanks for the discovery! got it, we will see, as rating seems very low.

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:24 am

Don't pay any attention to ratings on the App Store. Most of the ratings seem given by angry people, and the overall rating is always lower than you'd expect because most people only rate apps when they delete them.

C64 isn't perfect on iPhone by any means, but as a paid-for app I rated it 3/5 on iphonetiny.com, and as a freebie, it'd be hard to complain.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

itlgames

Post by itlgames » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:09 am

Yeah, actually so far it seems running like the real thing as far as I can remember, didn't have one but a friend of mine had. Controls are tough in landscape mode.

itlgames

Post by itlgames » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:42 am

Jupiter Lander remembers me when games were difficult...

itlgames

Post by itlgames » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:16 am

Funny you said that Craig about rating system, it's true the iPhone/iPod Touch OS will ask you to rate the game when you delete it, it actually allows you to tap the stars there, and of course, if you are deleting the game...

That makes me wonder, would you guys be annoyed if after i.e. 20 times you have played a game, you get a popup to suggest rating the game? with options "Yes", "Not now", "Don't ask again" or something like that.

I think that could improve quality of Apple rating system, I wonder if Apple should do this natively on the OS, otherwise they can detrimental apps.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:35 am

I would be happy with a 'please rate' popup, but only if it was after enough plays to make a judgement (10 to 20 sounds realistic).

I am playing Angry Birds at the mo. It can be damned annoying!!!

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:37 am

Frankly, the rating system is utterly stupid. Apple should bundle it directly into the App Store app. There should be a rating section that you can go into and provide ratings for all your unrated apps, whenever you want to.

Then again, App Store reviews are no better than any other online resource of this kind (see also: Play, Amazon)—everyone's either THIS IS TEH BESZT THING EVAR or I HATE THIS IT IS THE WORSST THING IVE EVER sEEn. Unless something has hundreds of reviews and ratings there's no real way to make any kind of judgement from those ratings.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:10 am

I find the rating system almost useless as a guide. You see people complaining for banal reasons such as only getting x-amount of levels on a lite version of a games. Personally the best thing is try the lite versions/free versions and if you like it buy it - or check out some of the more level headed review sites.

I also cant help but think that developers of similar games leave each other neg feedback to make their own version seem better. I'd like to think it doesnt happen, but I'm too long in the tooth to believe that it doesnt....

itlgames

Post by itlgames » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:27 am

Well, I am a iPhone/iPod Touch games developer myself, and I wouldn't think about leave negative feedbacks in purpose in other games!! Don't think there is really any benefit, but I agree the thought of someone doing it crossed my mind as well, as developer I have given away lot of promo codes, and as those promo codes only work on the US store, there is where I have worst rating... few 1 star ratings and a comment saying "just awful" ... something like that really can put you down after a whole year of hard work!

sirclive1

Post by sirclive1 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:02 pm

Just got - Crystal maze - its great ,its based on the tv show , and basically it's a very nice collection of mini games , some you use the ipod (tilt etc) and some the touch control , so far all the games have been at least half decent and at 59p its a bloomin steal. Its another one to keep me busy when travelling. Fab.
Luxor the moonprince - Doomguard Slayer

eggman1973

Post by eggman1973 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:16 am

I can't believe that I just sat here and read through all 15 pages of this thread! But anyway, here are my favourite iTouch games...

Baseball '09 - arcadey take on the sport, with some depth in terms of team rosters. Nice presentation and easy to play.
Depict - fun Pictionary style game, with cool 8-bit graphics.
Flight Control - one of the first games I got, and still played on a lot...
GTA - China Town Wars - sublime; controls a little tricky sometimes, but this really is good.
Space Invaders Infinity Gene - great update to the franchise, really fun to play!
Moonlight Mahjong - it's mahjong, and it's great.
Moron Test - not retro in the slightest, but damn fun. Silly too.
Real Racing - best racing game on the iTouch.
Rolando 1 & 2 - superb platformers.
Touch Cricket - about as good as cricket could ever get on the iTouch!

Not all retro-inspired games, but they've kept me happy for ages, and I'm now gonna have a look at Alone, Cube Runner, Drop7 and hope/pray for a UK re-release of Edge, which does look awesome!