Master System Converter Controller Compatibility

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

chrislondon

Master System Converter Controller Compatibility

Post by chrislondon » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:12 pm

Hi Guys,

Pretty quick question that i'm hoping someone knowledgeable can answer. I recently bought a master system converter for my mega drive and i'd like to know if its possible to use a master system controller with it rather than a mega drive controller (to get the authentic feel ;-). If so, how does it work? Does it just plug into the regular mega drive controller ports?

nokgod

Re: Master System Converter Controller Compatibility

Post by nokgod » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:30 pm

Don't have a Master System, or convertor, so not 100% sure, but if its nine pin (same as the MD) i'm sure you'll just be able to plug it in and play!!

Welcome to the forum, by the way..... :D
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:49 pm

Just tried my MS converter with a MS2 pad and it works perfectly. So yes it does work!
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

chrislondon

Post by chrislondon » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:52 pm

Thanks for the fast replies. This is a really helpful forum, especially since I've only just got into retro gaming. I recently had the urge to play my mega drive again and now I've been bitten by the bug. Buying all the games I wanted as a kid. Sorry for rambling off topic, thanks for the help.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:50 pm

I use a Mega Drive pad in my Master System, so I don't have to stand up to pause games. Laziness, it's a virtue!
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

ninjabearhug

Post by ninjabearhug » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:19 am

There's a few games that only work with an SMS pad, and also a few games that won't work on a convertor. I don't think any of the Codemaster's games work through the convertor, although I've never tried Fantastic Dizzy through it. Cosmic Spacehead and Micro Machines definitely don't work though.

chrislondon

Post by chrislondon » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:47 pm

that's interesting to know. What's the reason? is it the way the internal pcb is wired or something else? I'm currently looking for a master system controller on eBay but its proving difficult to find one in good condition :-)