Great games that haven't stood the test of time

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Szczepaniak

Post by Szczepaniak » Sun Dec 04, 2005 2:55 pm

Sadly I've never had the opportunity to play the arcade original. :(

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Sun Dec 04, 2005 2:57 pm

I would definitely say Goldeneye too. I played it at a mate's house at uni most recently and I was appauled by the fogging/sluggishness of the multiplayer that I had loved for so long!

Some things are best left alone.

Adamski

Post by Adamski » Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:56 pm

My addition to this part of the forum would be Magnetron and Quazatron.
I always remember them as my favourite games from my speccy days and thought the isometric 3D was amazing.

I also thought at the time that these two games were the epitome of deep and thought provoking for what they were.I played a recent Remake and although some of the magic is still there I couldnt quite see what must have kept them in my mind as my favourite games all this time.

The only problem I have though with why some old games dont age is that i can find myself wrongly comparing to some of the later games.Its hard not to.Its just that so much has been and gone between then and now so they're bound not to be as impressive.

This can work with alot of the older stuff and even the leap from the N64/PS1 to now is astronomical so thats why Speccy games and old consoles games,that you could have loved back then,seem a bit poor now.Its best to remember them for what they are and not to compare if you can.

The Universal

Post by The Universal » Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:23 pm

true, but there are a lot of older games from 8 and early 16 bit formats that utilised 3D better than some modern games. Driller still holds up (ST...still not sure what I am supposed to be doing), Bombuzal (ST another forgotten classic) all the d and d adventures. Platoon had some nice 3D effects on cbm 64, and Buggy Boy still feels flawless on CBM. Its more about the developers than the systems I think. Or the aspiration of the game, Stunt Car racer plays like a dog today, but hunter plays fine, same system same time one has aged badly one hasnt etc
Just where is Mickey T?

Ghostbiscuit

Post by Ghostbiscuit » Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:27 pm

Lordy: after remembering countless hours of fun on SNES Stunt Race FX, I recently snapped up a copy off eBay. Everything was going well until the game moved. Jesus! It was barely playable - the frame rate must be about 4fps. Another childhood illusion shattered.

Starwing's still great though.

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:56 pm

Space Invaders. Pac-Man. Sorry, but they're both boring. There are other contemporaries that _are_ good, like Centipede and Galaga.

roberthazelby

Re:

Post by roberthazelby » Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:44 am

NorthWay wrote:Space Invaders. Pac-Man. Sorry, but they're both boring.
Get out! NOW! ;)

I still love both of these titles. The graphics may not look much today, but they are both (especially Pac Man) so darn playable.

planetmatt

Post by planetmatt » Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:58 am

Space Invaders, Pacman, and Street Fighter 2 are still fantastic. Goldeneye is seriously crap tho. Its the graphics, they are just too muddy.

I think Resident Evil 1 is terrible now if compared to RE4 but back in the day I played it to completion and loved every second.

Of the vintage games, I would say breakout is pretty dull but hailed as a classic at the time.

The Last Ginja

Re:

Post by The Last Ginja » Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:25 pm

planetmatt wrote:Space Invaders, Pacman, and Street Fighter 2 are still fantastic. Goldeneye is seriously crap tho. Its the graphics, they are just too muddy.

I think Resident Evil 1 is terrible now if compared to RE4 but back in the day I played it to completion and loved every second.

Of the vintage games, I would say breakout is pretty dull but hailed as a classic at the time.
Agreed, played it through several times, then bought directors cut(sucker)!! Put it on very recently having completed REmake again, had to laugh..... and Space Invaders/Pacman are timless tests of skill simple as. Anyone that doesn't like them should be shot :wink:

DonkeySpank

Post by DonkeySpank » Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:27 pm

How the hell can you be a "retro fan" and dislike PacMan and Space Invaders?!?! :shock:

Kaede

Post by Kaede » Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:30 pm

I'd agree that Space Invaders is a rubbish game nowadays. And I'm shmup boy.

Another great game that sucks now is Dizzy. :x

koopa42

Re:

Post by koopa42 » Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:31 pm

DonkeySpank wrote:How the hell can you be a "retro fan" and dislike PacMan and Space Invaders?!?! :shock:
what about 50/50?

I like pacman, but can take or leave spank invaders :wink:

DonkeySpank

Post by DonkeySpank » Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:49 pm

But don't you appreciate it for what it "was", back when it was unleashed on the general gaming public it was incredible!

planetmatt

Post by planetmatt » Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:52 pm

Space Invaders was one of the first games where you could get "into the zone" and play without thinking. The heart beat sound was key to this. You need to really zen out to get high score on it.

The Last Ginja

Re:

Post by The Last Ginja » Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:58 pm

hand_solo wrote:I'd agree that Space Invaders is a rubbish game nowadays. And I'm shmup boy, with no taste
:wink:
Another great game that sucked then and does now is Dizzy. :x
:lol: