Great games that haven't stood the test of time

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Hungry Horace

Post by Hungry Horace » Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:43 am

Hello all!

First post and all that.

I'll nominate Durrell's Saboteur series (1 and 2). At the time, I thought my Spectrum surely could not push itself any further, and games could get no better. This was the peak!

And then, almost two decades on, I realise that I was naive.

The gameplay is as sluggish as two pensioners screwing, the main sprites have dismal animation, and the combat is shoddy. It's almost impossible to kill the robot guards in Sab 2 with her weak flying kicks.

I ask you. These are supposed to be NINJAS, yet they get killed by a small guard dog. At least she could fall about 300 feet and only lose a fraction of health.

I might jump off Canary Wharf and blame Sab 2 when I break every bone in my body. 'Sick ninja game causes man to fall to death'
Get your own Gamercard Sig.

Szczepaniak

Post by Szczepaniak » Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:47 am

Super Mario Bros. on the FC/NES. The first brown hued one. Sure the scrolling may still be smooth today, but it's incredibly boring especially when compared to the sequels like SMB3, which is still enjoyable.

Then again, I never liked the original SMB even back in the day. I had too many other far more enjoyable FC titles to be playing. ;)

Ash

Re:

Post by Ash » Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:01 am

Szczepaniak wrote:Super Mario Bros. on the FC/NES. The first brown hued one. Sure the scrolling may still be smooth today, but it's incredibly boring especially when compared to the sequels like SMB3, which is still enjoyable.

Then again, I never liked the original SMB even back in the day. I had too many other far more enjoyable FC titles to be playing. ;)
John, you're insane. There may not be much variety or colour but SMB is still a pure test of platforming perfection. It's all about timing the jumps right and if you know the game off by heart you can do it blindfolded. Some may say that's a bad quality but it makes the game special to me. To think that I can always go back to it and have everything feel instantly familiar is great.

Hungry Horace

Re:

Post by Hungry Horace » Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:03 am

Ash wrote:
Szczepaniak wrote:Super Mario Bros. on the FC/NES. The first brown hued one. Sure the scrolling may still be smooth today, but it's incredibly boring especially when compared to the sequels like SMB3, which is still enjoyable.

John, you're insane. There may not be much variety or colour but SMB is still a pure test of platforming perfection. It's all about timing the jumps right and if you know the game off by heart you can do it blindfolded. Some may say that's a bad quality but it makes the game special to me. To think that I can always go back to it and have everything feel instantly familiar is great.
True, but Warp Zone ruined the SMB games. I mean, you could skip right to the end. Rubbish!

(NOTE: good-natured joke)

Morkin

Re:

Post by Morkin » Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:48 am

Hungry Horace wrote:

I'll nominate Durrell's Saboteur series (1 and 2). At the time, I thought my Spectrum surely could not push itself any further, and games could get no better. This was the peak!

I had a go at Saboteur some time ago & came to the same conclusion. I think I gave it ten minutes & that was enough for me. I still want to give it another go though. :?

Hungry Horace

Re:

Post by Hungry Horace » Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:59 am

Morkin wrote:
Hungry Horace wrote:

I had a go at Saboteur some time ago & came to the same conclusion. I think I gave it ten minutes & that was enough for me. I still want to give it another go though. :?
I'm the same. I keep going back to SAB 2 as I find it oddly compelling; especially the 128K version, with the catchy music. I like to guess where I'll land after randomly leaping from the hanglider.

Also, I'm still trying to find the hidden area with the crate that gives you infinite energy. I know it's there, but I have no idea where it is, and I want to find it myself and not have to resort to a map.

How very sad of me.

TheShend

Re:

Post by TheShend » Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:06 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote: Yup, both fighters are good, but in my humble opinion, Street Fighter III: Third Strike is the true daddy now...
Why o/\\o

I'll be making a thread :D

Szczepaniak

Re:

Post by Szczepaniak » Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:35 am

Ash wrote:John, you're insane. There may not be much variety or colour but SMB is still a pure test of platforming perfection. It's all about timing the jumps right and if you know the game off by heart you can do it blindfolded. Some may say that's a bad quality but it makes the game special to me. To think that I can always go back to it and have everything feel instantly familiar is great.
I wasn't knocking the game per say, I can see why it shifted systems back in the day. The fact that you can learn the game off by heart is one of it's (and sequels) biggest charms. You eventually learn where every 1UP is, and which blocks give the most coins, and you can literally run full pelt through the entire game.

It's just that when you've been spoiled by SMB3, and other platformers that took it further, the urge to play this diminishes somewhat. I only play it for a couple of minutes for nostalgia's sake now, before going back to say SMB3 on the FC, which I can still play all day long and enjoy.

Heh, I guess it just highlights the diversity of taste of among retro fans. ;)

romanista

Re: Great games that haven't stood the test of time

Post by romanista » Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:43 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:My choices would be GoldenEye and Street Fighter II. For their time they were revolutionary, but go back to them now and uurrghh.

Any others to add to the list?
goldeneye is still lovely though, with the n64 being unbeaten as control device..

i would say: most of the early psx 3d games..horrible now, while the saturn still has great game sto replay fromn the early era, the early psx games, were to much experimenting with 3d , or 'we have to do 3d, because it is 96

Monkey

Post by Monkey » Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:16 am

My choices would be GoldenEye and Street Fighter II. For their time they were revolutionary, but go back to them now and uurrghh.

Any others to add to the list?
Street fighter 2? Are you mad! It plays as good as ever!! Anyway my chioce would be the legend of zelda. IMO dull and lifeless, but the music is still great.

muse hunter

Post by muse hunter » Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:36 am

Goemon 64, Fatal Fury, streets of rage 1-3, and super tennis are a few which i believe have failed to stand the test of time, great back in the day, today, well they aren't worth my time. Those who mention street fighter 2 on this tread must be insane, its still one of the best 2D fighters ever. fact.

Kubrick

Post by Kubrick » Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:51 am

That's crazy talk, SoR/BKII is still great! I was playing it just a few days ago, along with Golden Axe. :)

Not the type of game you can play all day/night, as it gets boring after a while (same as any "walking" game), but it's still a great way to kill an hour or two (especially with 2 players).

And GoldenEye is still a masterpiece. Perfect Dark is the horrible, dated one you're all thinking about :wink:

Gilderoy Lockheart

Post by Gilderoy Lockheart » Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:50 pm

Saw the name of the game in another thread, but a different variant,
for me Citadel on the BBC (and castle quest for that matter) just don't have 'it' any more, I can remember spending days if not weeks playing Citadel when it first came out and loved it, played it again recently and walked away in disgust at how tragically it played.

Some other beeb classics have lasted sooo much better, mainly the acornsoft arcade conversions it has to be said however.

I also booted up kick off on the ol amiga the other day after other places were extowing the virtues of sensi soccer and again (although this is probably due to my terrible reflexes in me old age) it seemed so differnt, almost unplayable.

Have to agree with the other post with regards to jet set willy, totally overrated from the off in my opinion, surely Chuckie Egg is king of the 8-bit platformers.

Szczepaniak

Re:

Post by Szczepaniak » Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:08 am

muse hunter wrote:Goemon 64, i believe has failed to stand the test of time, great back in the day, today, well it isn't worth my time.
I loaded it up recently actually (for that RS thing), and I still prefer it to Mario 64, the diversity of tasks and objectives, plus the multiple characters is still so refreshing. I can forgive the visuals too, since they're meant to be blocky and quirky, it was never aiming for realism.

As for another game that hasn't stood the test of time? Virtua Racing on the MD. Yeah, it may have been fast and smooth back in the day, but today, not only is it virtua(lly) unplayable, but it is hopelessly boring as well.

Only 3 tracks? No thanks! I'd rather go play Mario Kart on the SNES again, it may be unrealistic, but at least the 1 player mode has some much needed variety. The racing in Virtua Racing just feels... like there's nothing there.

I think I managed to force myself to play for at least 15 minutes on it, before having to switch the MD off in disgust. And to think, they were charging what? £70 for it due to the chip inside? Shocking.

You know what? This topic is really cathartic. ;)

romanista

Re:

Post by romanista » Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:51 am

Szczepaniak wrote:
As for another game that hasn't stood the test of time? Virtua Racing on the MD. Yeah, it may have been fast and smooth back in the day, but today, not only is it virtua(lly) unplayable, but it is hopelessly boring as well.

Only 3 tracks? No thanks! I'd rather go play Mario Kart on the SNES again, it may be unrealistic, but at least the 1 player mode has some much needed variety. The racing in Virtua Racing just feels... like there's nothing there.
John, Virtua Racing on the MD may have been dated, but virtua racing (the coin-up) hasn't dated that badly, as its drawing distance is unrivalled, and the game is still great, see stu campbell's glowing review.. http://worldofstuart.excellentcontent.c ... virtua.htm