Great games that haven't stood the test of time

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Darran@Retro Gamer

Great games that haven't stood the test of time

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:23 pm

My choices would be GoldenEye and Street Fighter II. For their time they were revolutionary, but go back to them now and uurrghh.

Any others to add to the list?

Meh

Post by Meh » Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:27 pm

Perfect Dark - it may have wow'ed back in the day (though I always thought it was tosh), but Jesus FACE it's horribly dated now. Tried playing it in co-op via emulator on a lovely big HD telly, and it still looked terrible...

The guns are still damn satisfying, though.

andy vaisey

Post by andy vaisey » Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:15 pm

I remember being all excited about Xenon II on the Amiga. Great sounds, graphics and rave reviews...

I played it again a few years ago and while still being a polished game, I have to ask: what was the fuss really about? A bog standard shooter? You bet... :|

The Universal

Post by The Universal » Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:03 pm

Have to disagree with SF2 im afraid, it plays exactly as it ever did, its just our memory of it has been tainted by so many sequels.

Virtua Racing on the megadrive is my tip for most badly aged game, paid seventy quid for it at the time, now it looks and feels like a bugged demo, an 18 wheeled truck has a smaller turning ark. And having to change views to complete tracks in top times was wierd then and unbelievable now.

Tomb raider hasnt aged well either, the original Saturn version feels really clumsy now and there is a huge delay betwen joypad and on screen movement that somehow I missed at the time.

should the question be which ages worst 2D or 3D I wonder?
Just where is Mickey T?

Darran@Retro Gamer

Re:

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:06 pm

The Universal wrote:Have to disagree with SF2 im afraid, it plays exactly as it ever did, its just our memory of it has been tainted by so many sequels.
Ah, so you're saying Mike that Street Fighter II was never that great in the first place ;)

The Universal

Post by The Universal » Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:45 pm

Yup, It was just unique, the most defined characters since Gauntlet, and a tighter fighting style than previously seen, coupled with special moves made it playable, not necessarily good. The pioneers arent always the greatest. (I know there were other one on one beat em ups previously), it just showed what could be done, look to World Heroes or fatal Fury to see the true best of that genre at that time, they still hold up now.
Just where is Mickey T?

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:06 pm

Have to agree with Daz on Street Fighter 2. I bought the SNES version on Saturday, I'm used to the sped up Champion Edition on the Mega Drive - the SNES version was SOOOOOO SLOOOOOOOW. I turned it off, put it in a box probably never to be played again.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Re:

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:06 pm

The Universal wrote:Yup, It was just unique, the most defined characters since Gauntlet, and a tighter fighting style than previously seen, coupled with special moves made it playable, not necessarily good. The pioneers arent always the greatest. (I know there were other one on one beat em ups previously), it just showed what could be done, look to World Heroes or fatal Fury to see the true best of that genre at that time, they still hold up now.
Yup, both fighters are good, but in my humble opinion, Street Fighter III: Third Strike is the true daddy now...

The Universal

Post by The Universal » Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:14 pm

Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:06 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have to agree with Daz on Street Fighter 2. I bought the SNES version on Saturday, I'm used to the sped up Champion Edition on the Mega Drive - the SNES version was SOOOOOO SLOOOOOOOW. I turned it off, put it in a box probably never to be played again.
I rest my case Mr Jones. And youre right about third strike :?
Just where is Mickey T?

andy vaisey

Post by andy vaisey » Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:00 pm

[controversy]

Jet Set Willy

[/controversy]

LeeT

Re:

Post by LeeT » Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:06 am

andy vaisey wrote:[controversy]

Jet Set Willy

[/controversy]
Very good choice sir!

Okay so it was innovative at the time and set the wheels going but I can go back to the likes of Dynamite Dan wheras I have no urge whatsoever to play JSW or its cash-in sequel.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:11 am

Have to say, nah... SF2 (arcade) and Goldeneye are still great! :P
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Meh

Re:

Post by Meh » Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:12 am

RetroBob wrote:Have to agree with Daz on Street Fighter 2. I bought the SNES version on Saturday, I'm used to the sped up Champion Edition on the Mega Drive - the SNES version was SOOOOOO SLOOOOOOOW. I turned it off, put it in a box probably never to be played again.
Were you playing the PAL version? Capcom really didn't give a censored in those days...

tssk

Post by tssk » Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:08 am

Druid (C64) A great Gauntlet variant at the time playing it again revealed how they squeezed so much in one load.

The narrowest play area in living memory.

Trust me, if you think SquareEnix 'widescreen' PAL games are squashed...

FishyFish

Re:

Post by FishyFish » Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:22 am

andy vaisey wrote:[controversy]

Jet Set Willy

[/controversy]
I don't know about that - Jet Set Willy remains my favourite game of all time* - there's just something about it that draws me back. Alright, the gameplay mechanics may be pretty basic, but they're as tight and intuitive as ever. Plus, with all the people making new versions, it's always possible to play new variations.

* I will admit that it's not the BEST game I've ever played, but it still remains my favourite nontheless.