c64 recommendations

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

thesubcon3

Re: c64 recommendations

Post by thesubcon3 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:27 pm

Some of my favs from back in the day...

Bruce Lee
BC's Quest for Tires
Pitfall II
California Games
Summer Games
Winter Games
Yie Ar Kung Fu
WWF Micro Leagure ProWrestling
Leaderboard Golf
Wizard of Wor
Spy vs Spy (All 3)

I'll stop there for now...

CatherineMcClarey

Post by CatherineMcClarey » Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:39 pm

My husband liked the arcade-type C64 games that have been mentioned thus far a lot more than I did; I was more into the RPG and strategy games. Electronic Arts' Seven Cities of Gold and Heart of Africa were two of the first games we bought for the C64 (at an after-Christmas sale in 1987). I loved the Bard's Tale series (and even my spouse played that, partly because we didn't own that many games at first), but I remember I had to download character "trainer" software (over my 2400k cartridge modem and dial-up connection, which was cutting-edge for 8-bit computers at the time, but still infuriatingly slow), because BT2 & BT3 were so buggy in their v1.0 releases. Centauri Alliance and Dragon Wars, both also from Electronic Arts, were similar to the Bard's Tale series. I played Origin Systems' Ultima series (III, IV, and V) as well, and played the music from those games while ironing in the basement (where the last of our C64s spent its "pensioner" years before we finally sold it off at GenCon Milwaukee). Probably my favorite C64 RPGs, though, were SSI's "Gold Box" series of games based on the 1st-ed. AD&D rules. I played all of the games in that series that were released for the C64 -- until SSI announced that Gateway to the Savage Frontier would be their last C64 "Gold Box" release. I had liked being able to transfer characters from one game to the next within a series (from Pool of Radiance to Curse of the Azure Bonds to Secret of the Silver Blades, for example), so I switched platforms to the IBM PC at that point. Once the later "Gold Box" games added AdLib/SoundBlaster sound support to the MS-DOS versions, they weren't too bad, but I really missed the old C64 SID chip 3-voice music when playing the MS-DOS versions of the early "Gold Box" games. (I'm currently playing the MS-DOS version of Curse of the Azure Bonds via DOSBox, with Tandy sound effects enabled -- which is better than plain "PC speaker" sound effects, but still doesn't include music. :( )
(P.S.: I'm citing the U.S. publishers of the games I remember, since those were the versions we played.)
"Just one more turn . . .!"

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:08 pm

Were do I start

All the Dizzys
UCM
rescue on fractalus
Bruce Lee
the staff of karnath
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

Rapidmollusc

Post by Rapidmollusc » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:51 pm

...did gribbly's day out get a mention here...that's worth a look

Waz

Post by Waz » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:35 pm

You're spoilt for choice, I reckon, but a few of my personal faves:

Wizball - the C64 version is easily the best (it was the original one). The control method is just right, the music is stunning and atmospheric and you really feel like you're in a different world, plus the fact you have to get the right mix of coloured drops for each level adds to the challenge nicely.

World Games - possibly the best of the Epyx Games series, due to the different events and also the fact that none of them rely on any form of joystick waggling. The cliff diving and caber toss are right up there, notably the excellent music in caber toss, but full of playability they all are. Oh, and the little animations in each when you fail just make it even more superb.

Skate or Die - Another multi-event classic and a precursor to many a Tony Hawk game, this was EA's equivalent of the Epyx Games series. Superb title theme by Rob Hubbard, and the downhill jam is immense fun even in single player mode.

Kikstart II - possibly the best budget game out there. Not only did you have 24 courses to race on, complete with all new hazards, and split screen two player mode, but you also had a construction kit, so you could make your own fiendish courses too - expanding the game no end!

Proof of Destruction - Another piece of Shaun Southern genius. It looked like Gridrunner but was much more colourful, the glass smash effects of when you hit aliens meant that precision not just endless firing was required, and it was fast and frenetic with a killer bassline driving you on.
Warren Pilkington (Waz)
Former contributor to Zzap! 64, Commodore Format and HVSC
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/zawtowers/
Twitter: @zawtowers

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:27 pm

Waz wrote:Proof of Destruction - Another piece of Shaun Southern genius. It looked like Gridrunner but was much more colourful, the glass smash effects of when you hit aliens meant that precision not just endless firing was required, and it was fast and frenetic with a killer bassline driving you on.
Seconded, POD rocks ... quite enjoyed the Amiga version which was free with an issue of one of the magazines ... CU Amiga I think.
Soon you will have forgotten all things: soon all things will have forgotten you. (Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 7)

azure

Post by azure » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:38 pm

Has anyone tried the Prince of Persia for C64?

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:25 pm

azure wrote:Has anyone tried the Prince of Persia for C64?
Yes:
http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =2&t=31073&
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.