What was your favored joystick on your 8 bit or 16 bit comp?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

paranoid marvin

Re:

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:36 am

Jonathan wrote:Zipstick all the way, though the Competition Pro comes a close second.

I really can't be doing with joypads though, they're completely unusable.
Joypads are ok for certain games.
The dual-shocks are better for driving games than a joystick ever was,but they're analogue and perhaps don't count
Also I couldn't imagine playing Mario World without a pad

For all games pre-1990 and virtually all arcade games,there's no substitue for a joystick
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

necronom

Re:

Post by necronom » Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:28 am

Jonathan wrote:I really can't be doing with joypads though, they're completely unusable.
I totally agree if you are talking about non-analogue joypads. The main reason I didn't even consider getting a console (until the Dual-shock PS came out) was because of the unusable control method. It's almost as bad as using keys, but with added pain.

Mantas

Post by Mantas » Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:52 am

I always used the Quickshot 1 joysticks on my C64 and thought they were ok. My friend had a Cheetah joystick for his Speccy which I didn't like. Then one day I got a Quickshot 2 Pro (the red one with the microswitches) which I always thought was the best there was - although the clicking could get rather annoying. About a yeat ago I found the Sega Megadrive 6 button arcade stick and I have to say that this is an excellent joystick. I can get very precise responses from it which is really crucial when playing games like IO or Blackhawk. Sometimes if you're lucky one of the buttons acts as a space bar which is useful. It also has a metal base so its nice and solid. Best bit is that it can be used on any 15 pin computer or console port. I'd recommend anyone to track one down and try it.

Antiriad2097

Re:

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:48 am

Mantas wrote:15 pin computer or console port.
Shirley you mean 9 pin :roll:

I often stick to dpad input on my dual shocks :oops:
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Mantas

Re:

Post by Mantas » Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:59 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Mantas wrote:15 pin computer or console port.
Shirley you mean 9 pin :roll:

I often stick to dpad input on my dual shocks :oops:
Er...............probably. I couldn't be bothered to get up and count them.

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:40 am

Both the old types of Atari joysticks where pretty good, the competition pro was ace, in fact I've still got mine and I'm sure I've got a zipstick lying around somewhere. I also had one that I thought was a quickshot 5, the stick was cr*p but it had a huge firebutton on the base, it had the stick on a base and then another base in front for the other fire button, does anybody else remember this?

lavalyte

Post by lavalyte » Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:41 pm

I thought the SunCom Tac-2 was really good... very sturdy, no internal switches to wear out, metal shaft, two fire buttons on each side.

It was even better when I wired another button into it with autofire. That made dropzone even better.
'I have nothing but the greatest respect for other peoples' crackpot beliefs' - Sam The Eagle.

Maolstrom

Post by Maolstrom » Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:44 am

The Star Cursor for amiga/atari etc. T'was made in Australia and kicked the mighty booty!

I have an ad from an Aussie amiga mag, but can't work out how to post it :)

Edit: Thanks to Antiriad2097 for the image posting help!

"Honest men do an honest days work, or I destroy their village!" - Skeletor