The Edge: 8-Bit software house in IP troll scandal.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

CraigGrannell

Re: The Edge: 8-Bit software house in IP troll scandal.

Post by CraigGrannell » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:55 am

Future currently pays Langdell nothing at all for the Edge mark, and Langdell is also involved in active IP infringement regarding the Edge logo.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:11 am

CraigGrannell wrote:Future currently pays Langdell nothing at all for the Edge mark, and Langdell is also involved in active IP infringement regarding the Edge logo.
Thought so, it makes really fascinating reading, you just wouldn't believe someone could get away with this kind of stuff for so long.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:16 pm

FatTrucker wrote:Looks like they've finally bitten the wrong dog.

EA are suing them for infringement on every mark they own, citing non use and fraudulent submissions and statements.

If EA win, then it seems every company they've (Langdell) shaken down would have a route to claiming damages. Looking at the history I would imagine it will be a pretty long que.
Now that's what I call a result. I can only guess that he's now looking at a list of countries that don't have an extradition treaty with the UK or US with an eye to another relocation. :lol:

tssk

Post by tssk » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:36 pm

You might be interested in the article about Langdall vs Future Publishing over at http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/06 ... dge-trial/

Some of it is amazing.
Not a lot has been heard from trademark champion Tim Langdell in a while. The lawyer-happy supreme owner of the word “edge” was the palm-faced talk of the town in 2009 and 2010 (never better covered than by the excellent Chaos Edge), but his antics have been a little more quiet of late. This is likely to do with his not doing particularly well in his increasingly ludicrous attempts to claim ownership of a noun. And in the latest ruling, from Future Publishing’s case against Edge Interactive Media Inc., Edge Games Inc, and Dr Timothy Langdell, it’s observed that the nontrepreneur’s evidence was “absurd”, and he had even gone so far as to invent people to sign his witness statements. And so much more besides. Read on for an extensive breakdown of the judge’s conclusions. It’s a remarkable tale.

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:30 am

I spent hours reading all that stuff on Chaos Edge a couple of years back, this whole saga is baffling and very interesting to read. Utter utter bellend.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:58 am

What a properly deluded w@nker. :shock:

Find this thread truly fascinating reading, many thanks to all for all the knowledge contained within this. :wink: :D :D :D

Diagnostically, this man is obviously utterly within the paranoid-delusional realm with a high level of psychopathy, edging well into the realms of paranoid-schizophrenia. Add middle-aged bitterness into the mix, it goes on to enter a f*cking nuclear realm of insanity.

AlleyKat

Post by AlleyKat » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:23 am

The stuff about him presenting discs, supposedly created in 1991, containing the Edge name in a font identical to the magazine, but actually and obviously created using windows 95 was incredible. :lol:
speed/missile/double/laser/option/?

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:38 am

He can feel free to sue the bloke out of U2 however :P
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

Pixiu

Post by Pixiu » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:21 am

AlleyKat wrote:The stuff about him presenting discs, supposedly created in 1991, containing the Edge name in a font identical to the magazine, but actually and obviously created using windows 95 was incredible. :lol:
Almost felt sorry for the judge having to sift through his ever more farcical lies.

Loved the way he claimed Future were lying about what was said in correspondence, but refused to present any of the correspondence as evidence, and yet made such a fuss of accusing Future of lying that the judge required all correspondence to be submitted whether he liked it or not... only to demonstrate once again that he was full of sh1t. :lol: WELL PLAYED, DOOFUS!
"A farmer doesn't bother telling a pig its breath smells like sh*t."

killbot

Post by killbot » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:40 am

His website is still claiming that Future are using the Edge name under licence from him. What I didn't know until recently is that he's been doing this for years and his threats of litigation are the reason why the PlayStation conversion of SoulEdge was released as SoulBlade over here.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

joefish

Post by joefish » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:09 am

'Allegedly'?
In Speccy circles, we've known about this for years. Bo Jangebourg was a brilliant programmer who got hosed. It's about time the idiot who did it got reamed by a big corporation. Sadly, that seems to be the only way this ridiculous and fraudulent farce will ever be exposed.
Last edited by joefish on Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:53 am

Apparently as a result of the EA action he is (or was) being stripped of most of his Trademark assets.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:25 am

Did he ever release that "Mirrors (a new game from) Edge?" game?
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

killbot

Post by killbot » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:07 am

the_hawk wrote:Did he ever release that "Mirrors (a new game from) Edge?" game?
Dunno, but I've always found it amusing that he was so desperate to ride the coat tails of what turned out to be one of gaming's biggest commercial flops of recent years.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:40 am

killbot wrote:
the_hawk wrote:Did he ever release that "Mirrors (a new game from) Edge?" game?
Dunno, but I've always found it amusing that he was so desperate to ride the coat tails of what turned out to be one of gaming's biggest commercial flops of recent years.