Will at set top box ever replace a console in your house?.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

clarance

Re: Will at set top box ever replace a console in your house?.

Post by clarance » Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:22 pm

Spooky wrote:
Rinoa wrote:I hope it fails miserably. For me it would take a lot of the fun and joy I get out of gaming. I really enjoy collecting games and consoles, I also love receiving a brand spanking new game on release date and tearing the seal off. All this will go if everything turns to download-only. No limited edition cases or anything. I think a part of my enjoyment of gaming would die.
I completely agree with you. Owning a game, with its box, art cover, instructions, etc... is also part of the fun! I just love to look at my games collection, trying to decide which one I'm going to play...
I really don't think OnLive will be that big a thing, so I'm not too worried... yet!
Agree wholeheartedly with these comments, but I can see this sort of thing becoming more of a force as time goes by. Just look at the music industry as it is, downloads and the like. The new generation out there don't seem to care about packaging, cover artwork and the whole concept of having something tangible in their hands with regards to music any more, and it seems to follow the same way with games. They just seem to want the product as quickly as possible, and it seems as disposable as possible.

Packaging is dead.
Death may be your Santa Claus.

michaelf

Post by michaelf » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:20 am

A STB won't replace a console in my house, but as for technology merging, I can see it happening. For example, in my house we have Apple TV. It's a little box which streams tv programmes & films (plus music & pictures) onto my tv.

It doesn't take too much of a leap forward to build in freeview capability (or have it as an optional extra), and then follow the same download content model that the App Store / iTunes currently follows. All you have to do is bundle a controller and hey ho, it's a STB + games console.

A slightly different stance on one, but perhaps a better alternative? So at least you get the control over what media you have on the device, without relying on Sky / Virgin / Freeview for your principal television needs.

I don't want my ISP or tv service provider being directly connected / affiliated to my games console for the reasons mentioned before; I want choice and independance for both.

Spooky

Post by Spooky » Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:10 pm

clarance wrote:
Spooky wrote:
Rinoa wrote:I hope it fails miserably. For me it would take a lot of the fun and joy I get out of gaming. I really enjoy collecting games and consoles, I also love receiving a brand spanking new game on release date and tearing the seal off. All this will go if everything turns to download-only. No limited edition cases or anything. I think a part of my enjoyment of gaming would die.
I completely agree with you. Owning a game, with its box, art cover, instructions, etc... is also part of the fun! I just love to look at my games collection, trying to decide which one I'm going to play...
I really don't think OnLive will be that big a thing, so I'm not too worried... yet!
Agree wholeheartedly with these comments, but I can see this sort of thing becoming more of a force as time goes by. Just look at the music industry as it is, downloads and the like. The new generation out there don't seem to care about packaging, cover artwork and the whole concept of having something tangible in their hands with regards to music any more, and it seems to follow the same way with games. They just seem to want the product as quickly as possible, and it seems as disposable as possible.

Packaging is dead.
I don't the comparison works... because music now is, for most, on an iPod or mp3 player so you can listen to it everywhere. Portable CD players were not practical, and mp3 players were like a godsend. So it's only logical that music has become more immaterial.
But I don't think it'll be the same for home consoles... portable ones, maybe (take the PSP Go for instance, or the DSiWare...).
AND, perhaps a more important factor here, having only downloadable games will mean the end of GAME, Gamestation, etc... I don't see that happening anytime soon...
Translator for Pix'n Love Publishing:
The History of Sonic (Spring 2012)
Gunpei Yokoi biography (Q2 2012)
The History of Mario (Q2 2012)

http://www.pixnlovepublishing.com

SexyWayne

Post by SexyWayne » Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:10 pm

To me it's the other way round, both my XBMC enabled XBOX and 360 have replaced my HI-FI, V+ box, set top box, DVD player etc.. all you need is a media server running on your PC and viola multimedia magic, internet radio/TV and whatever else you want is there at the touch of a remote button :D in fact the only thing that stops me having my entire DVD collection streamed to my 360 is HDD space

I'm a lazy bastard and there's nothing more I hate than having to put a disk into a machine, in fact I can't actually remember the last time I actually played a real physical music CD as my entire music collection is sitting on my PC and the CDs are boxed and packed away, even when I buy a new CD I just rip it to MP3/WMA and then it gets packed away, don't get me wrong I love having the real media/box/instructions/booklet but hate having to get off my arse to insert the discs etc, but again I hate the idea of a machine breaking down/being discontinued and losing any downloaded stuff that I've paid for such as XBLA games, as long as Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo can contiue support into future generations for DLC I'll be happy

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:08 pm

you can already play (and over pay!) for games via your Sky Box - and I've never been tempted. And you can play games on any PC - but most PC owners who like games still buy a console as well.

Manufacturers have been following the same mirage for years: a device that will do everything - but in truth most people like
a separate camera, a separate MP3 player - and this case separate consoles for gaming. The deciding factor will be social attitudes
and not technology.