Will at set top box ever replace a console in your house?.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

thevulture

Will at set top box ever replace a console in your house?.

Post by thevulture » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:08 am

With all the Will it/won't it work? surrounding Onlive, peoples concerns over games going Download ONLY-PSP GO for example.

I`m curious as to how people feel about having ONE box doing everything and just HOW far off,is it?.

I`ve had...Issues with my ISP more times than i`d like-so would NOT be wishing to have everything piped through one route-you loose that, you loose everything. :cry:

Also, likes of the nuon,sonys psx( PS2 with HDD, digital video recorder etc) died on their arse.

The phantom? was just that.

The DC-Enabled Pace set top box never appeared.

Has the technology and infastructure moved on enough for it to become a reality?.

AmigaJay

Re: Will at set top box ever replace a console in your house?.

Post by AmigaJay » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:37 am

Well the rumours of the Apple set-top box won't go away, which will basically be a ipod touch for the TV, dl games, web browsing, online, films etc etc i hope it has some serious controllers, should be good and with Apples support i'll probably pick one up when it gets released.

Kaptain_Von

Post by Kaptain_Von » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:54 am

The idea of having one set top box and one company controlling all that I see, hear and play just leaves me cold. At the moment we have consoles that I use and consoles Mrs Von and Von junior use. For TV we have Sky and a Freeview box. If you go down the set top box with everything route you are likely to end up duplicating services that you do not actually want. For example: Von Junior wants the latest Nintendo Wii2 but that is tied in with say Virgin media as the TV and internet provider. I prefer the XBox720 but that involves Sky as TV and internet provider so straight away I'm paying for two ISPs and two TV providers. I want to be able to choose my ISP, TV provider and consoles and have them all work independently of each other if I so wish. Also, that way if your 'box' breaks you don't lose everything, you can still watch 'Britains got (no) talent 57' even if you cannot play 'Generic First Person Shooter #2523: The revenge' and vice versa.
Cue the music, fade to black...
----------------------------------------------------------
http://kaptainskonfessions.blogspot.com/

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:05 pm

So, let me get this straight? You want a console that's also a media centre and digital TV receiver/recorder?

Such a beast already exists in the shape of a PS3 with a Play TV adaptor. Suffice it to say that it's not been much of a hit. Trying to cram so much functionality into the one box is usually a recipe for the ergonomics to go out of the window.

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:08 pm

It's the future

:lol:

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:25 pm

Apple had a crack, back when multi-media was the next big thing-3Do onwards, with the Pippin.

Nothing ever came of it and it soon faded away.

The Mac has had numerous attempts at being taken seriously as a gaming machine, but fizzles out soon after.

So, i wonder IF the fortunes of the iphone etc are enough to turn it around for apple.

I mean, prior to the wii....The Mighty N was having nothing but Gravy in the Hand held market, but it`s home machines-N64, then GC were being crushed by opposition.

Doing well in one field is by no means assurance of doing so well in another.

Rinoa

Post by Rinoa » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:37 pm

I hope it fails miserably. For me it would take a lot of the fun and joy I get out of gaming. I really enjoy collecting games and consoles, I also love receiving a brand spanking new game on release date and tearing the seal off. All this will go if everything turns to download-only. No limited edition cases or anything. I think a part of my enjoyment of gaming would die.

liveinabin

Post by liveinabin » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:04 am

I really don't see this happening any time soon. Sure, there'll be cable boxes with 3D hardware acceleration, but they'll never match a thoroughbred Games machine. People are clearly happy with the console system and are prepared to pay for them, so that's how it's going to be, I'm sure, for a long long time.

Still, I do love the media capabilities of my PS3. It's as close to a modded Xbox as anything 'over the counter' has got yet.

zerocool

Post by zerocool » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:33 pm

I like things the way they are, so much choice on offer it's untrue... beware! One platform to rule them all, and in the darkness bind us. :lol:

fordie020376

Post by fordie020376 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:32 pm

In Four Words-

I FOOKIN HOPE NOT! :D
Image ImageImage
Fordie

fordie020376

Post by fordie020376 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:35 pm

liveinabin wrote:I really don't see this happening any time soon. Sure, there'll be cable boxes with 3D hardware acceleration, but they'll never match a thoroughbred Games machine. People are clearly happy with the console system and are prepared to pay for them, so that's how it's going to be, I'm sure, for a long long time.

Still, I do love the media capabilities of my PS3. It's as close to a modded Xbox as anything 'over the counter' has got yet.
I Could Not Agree More :)

Incidently, me and my kids played your LBP Speccy Level the other day and it was brilliant!!!

Well done liveinabin!!!!!
Image ImageImage
Fordie

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:46 pm

I think we will see a set-top-box / Console split. I can see there being a market for both.

Yes you will be able to download to your console, but you wouldn't need to.
Why not visit my ramblings at Garry's Gaming Blog

liveinabin

Post by liveinabin » Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:54 pm

fordie020376 wrote: Incidently, me and my kids played your LBP Speccy Level the other day and it was brilliant!!!

Well done liveinabin!!!!!
Yay. Thanks so much! Heck, I've been so stuck in Fallout 3 (and life) that I'd clean forgot about LBP. I really must make another level someday.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:16 pm

Arnt consoles a bit like set top boxes anyway?

Spooky

Post by Spooky » Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:50 pm

Rinoa wrote:I hope it fails miserably. For me it would take a lot of the fun and joy I get out of gaming. I really enjoy collecting games and consoles, I also love receiving a brand spanking new game on release date and tearing the seal off. All this will go if everything turns to download-only. No limited edition cases or anything. I think a part of my enjoyment of gaming would die.
I completely agree with you. Owning a game, with its box, art cover, instructions, etc... is also part of the fun! I just love to look at my games collection, trying to decide which one I'm going to play...
I really don't think OnLive will be that big a thing, so I'm not too worried... yet!
Translator for Pix'n Love Publishing:
The History of Sonic (Spring 2012)
Gunpei Yokoi biography (Q2 2012)
The History of Mario (Q2 2012)

http://www.pixnlovepublishing.com