Sonic & Sega All-stars Racing

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Sir Hilary Bray

Re: Sonic & Sega All-stars Racing

Post by Sir Hilary Bray » Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:06 am

Is it a bit easier on the full version? :oops:

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:07 am

Mr Vengeance wrote:Its Sega, so its only a matter of time. No other publisher discounts their games faster than good old Sega.....
I don't think its their choice, its just no one buys them.

Space_turnip

Post by Space_turnip » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:11 am

Sir Hilary Bray wrote:Is it a bit easier on the full version? :oops:
It doesnt throw you in at the deep end like the demo. Easy cups are pretty much that, havent had a go at the harder ones yet but I imagine they'll be the same as the demo.

Loftgroover

Post by Loftgroover » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:20 am

the demo is from the middle cup I think...i flew thru them on beginner but notching it upto advance def. makes it a fair bit harder. doubt I will ever play on expert :lol:

trying to get AAA on all the missions now, have done the first 18!

loving this game...everyone buy it and get online for an RG get together :D

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:31 pm

Been playing this on the Wii and I'm well impressed with it! I gotta say the gameplay is top draw. It doesn't feel unfair in the same as as Mario Kart Wii does and the missions are great fun. I'm hooked!

The only thing that lets it down is the Monkey Ball tracks which appear to try their very best to ruin this fine game, the difficulty spike there is laughable, horrible right angle turns and a very frustrating track layout. But overall, yeah brilliant! As karting games go this is easily a 9/10 in my book.

Gonna get this on 360 for Banjo and the graphical update alone.

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:58 pm

Watched a member of staff at Gamestation playing this today (instead of serving me :roll: )...but i was entranced with what i saw. As soon as i've replaced the Wii that was nicked i'll be getting this for sure :D
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

clarance

Post by clarance » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:36 pm

Played the DS demo and it it's very much like Mario Kart DS, which I suppose isn't such a bad thing - Little clarance wants it badly.
Death may be your Santa Claus.

Mr Vengeance

Post by Mr Vengeance » Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:39 pm

Fightersmegamix wrote:
Mr Vengeance wrote:Its Sega, so its only a matter of time. No other publisher discounts their games faster than good old Sega.....
I don't think its their choice, its just no one buys them.
Yeah you could argue that, but Sega still seem to be happy days about discounting games very qickly after thry come out. Bayonetta was discounted in GAME last week and its a fairly new release. I'll give this a month and it will be reduced....
Nintendo DS games: 41

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:19 pm

I caved in and bought this today. So far it plays great and looks even better. I'm only a couple of hours in and its pretty easy so far but there looks to be plenty to do, time trial mode will probably get more use than grand prix.

pottyboy

Post by pottyboy » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:23 pm

Been playing the demo a couple of times and it's really good!

Might get this for the PS3 seeing as I have no PS3 cartoony racers (though I do have Crash Team Racing on the HD) and already have Mario Kart on the Wii :)

"And I've got a little TIP for you. Get the POINT?" - Guybrush Threepwood

Cafeman

Post by Cafeman » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:25 pm

Got it for xbox360, have played thru the Beginner Grand Prix so far and a couple of the missions, unlocked some characters and also tried out online for an hour or so. Beginner mode is noticeably easier than the demo. The demo track isn't the first easiest track. Anyway, this game isn't some me-too also-ran - it is the real deal, pretty much everything I could ever hope for in such a game. I hope there is much downloadable content and a sequel with more motifs and characters!

Online works well - you better know the tack and drift/trick constantly to keep up. The objects can give you help but somebody who is way out in the lead might be uncatchable. There are no identical characters online - if you want Sonic and someone else picked him already, you can't also pick Sonic.

I draw an analogy to the original release of Shenmue on Dreamcast. Some played it and found a drawn-out boring adventure game with lots of fading-in characters. I played it and found a SEGA game tribute, a love fest for the true SEGA fan wrapped around an adventure game with the most detailed and semi-interactive environments ever.

With S&SASR, I've read comments that pick apart the odd graphical jitter or frame rate drop. But I found an awesome SEGA game tribute, a love fest for the true SEGA fan wrapped around a really fun Kart racing game with great track designs and gameplay obviously in the mold of the excellent Outrun 2. I find the visuals, themes and track design to be excellent. If that sounds like it would appeal to you, go get it!

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:48 am

I'd love to buy this, but I just can't justify it while Mario Kart Wii has sat unloved on the shelf for about a year and a half now with less than 2 hours gameplay on it. :(

I love Kart racers, but I'm rubbish at them. Unfortunately they're most fun in multiplayer mode, but the Mrs isn't keen on 'em & anyone I play online usually wins before I've even completed a lap!

EDIT!
Cafeman wrote: for the true SEGA fan wrapped around a really fun Kart racing game with great track designs and gameplay obviously in the mold of the excellent Outrun 2. !

Stuff it - this sentence has convinced me to get it - only thirty quid in GS & I've got a load of store credit!

Cafeman, you should work on commission for Sega!
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

TheNewMonkey

Post by TheNewMonkey » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:26 pm

im really lovin this game, its all i have played since getting it thursday morning! its easily as good as mario kart wii & i have done about 200 hours on that.
cant wait for the DLC to arrive.

also the amount of americans sending me messages asking how to play as ryo hazuki in the forklift is crazy! :lol:
3DS FC 4596-9477-3816

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:17 pm

Yeah this is a great game. In the official Nintendo Mag they gave it an 75% and stated that it wasn't as good as Mario Kart Wii but that is a really biased viewpoint imo. I much prefer it to MK, it's faster, has more to do, much more varied characters, better stages and most importantly it plays really good.

BornToEnd

Post by BornToEnd » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:23 pm

Just got this on Xbox360 today.

Game is sick, yo..... Sick.