Sonic & Sega All-stars Racing

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Mayhem

Re: Sonic & Sega All-stars Racing

Post by Mayhem » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:28 pm

Apparently the demo was made before a lot of the optimisation went into the game (time frames and all that), so it will be much better in the finished release. Of course it's a pity it had to happen because people sadly will think the demo is indicative of the final game... which I'll be waiting for and assessing on its own merits.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

PacSuit

Post by PacSuit » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:11 pm

joefish wrote:Oh, SEGA are bound to make a disaster of the release game - they always do.
If their past form is anything to go by, the race will start, you'll punch the accelerator button, then just as the car leaps off the line the game will pause with an un-skippable pop-up message saying 'To make your car go forward, press the accelerator button'.

Every race.
You do know, Sega is just publising the game. Sumo Digital is making the game.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:22 pm

Yeah but Sumo and Sega are very close, Sega would have had very close input to how the final product turns out.

I really want to download this but I'm on 99% of my broadband limit used so I can't for a day or so. It's not so good to hear about this framerate problem though I'm a bit more relieved after what mayhem said.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:04 am

That information comes direct from someone at Sumo Digital btw, so it's perfectly legit and I trust his words. It seems he spent a fair bit of time yesterday trying to reassure people online as pretty much the same comments were cropping up everywhere...

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:25 am

I really enjoyed the demo, the graphics were bright and colourful the music was catchy and the game plays fine. It took a few goes to get used to the handling but it soon became clear what to do, I even got used to the slightly annoying announcer :) The weapons don't seem to make much difference though.

The only real issue I had was the difficulty which seemed pretty high, but that might not be a bad thing. It played like a less cheaty mario kart with better graphics and characters, the finished product may not be a classic but its got to be better than mario kart wii.

Loftgroover

Post by Loftgroover » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:07 am

That information comes direct from someone at Sumo Digital btw, so it's perfectly legit and I trust his words
ive seen SOL saying that...but call me a cynic. Programmer of game saying 'its not that crap honest guv' is not exactly convincing.

Tho if it turns out to be true I will be picking it up...people moaning about the difficulty tho makes me chuckle :lol:

PacSuit

Post by PacSuit » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:39 am

Loftgroover wrote:
Tho if it turns out to be true I will be picking it up...people moaning about the difficulty tho makes me chuckle :lol:
Sigh, gamers these days, with their Savestates and their lack of spirit.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:01 pm

Raced as Sonic, took me three goes to place first in the one track available. Not sure about the power sliding though, it's definitely not as tight as Mario Kart, so it's going to take a little readjustment for each track on the right line to go through...

PacSuit

Post by PacSuit » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:49 pm

Mayhem wrote:Raced as Sonic, took me three goes to place first in the one track available. Not sure about the power sliding though, it's definitely not as tight as Mario Kart, so it's going to take a little readjustment for each track on the right line to go through...
I thought it was Outrun 2 style drifting?

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:11 pm

Yeah, that's what threw me to begin with, you have to allow for a little sway outside of your original line when taking corners via that method.

SexyWayne

Post by SexyWayne » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:46 pm

I spent about half hour on the demo earlier and TBH I didn't notice any major framerate issues but I wouldn't expect a demo to play 100% perfectly either, the only issue I have with the demo is that it must tell the 360's fan to go into Dyson mode :evil:

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:02 pm

Finally got round to playing this and I love it! The slowdown is a bit of a pain but I would still buy it just because it plays so well. Definitely gonna pick it up now having played the demo.

Sir Hilary Bray

Post by Sir Hilary Bray » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:19 pm

Nice to see something positive said.

So is it available for non gold members yet? if so, I'll dig the cable out, and download the demo.

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:30 am

They don't deserve sales if they release poor demo's - thats really pointless. What next?

"Lets release cr*p adverts - they will get the punters keen..."

Gee....

I have to say, this release has disaster written all over it, with a capital D.

It won't be better than Mario Kart, so why bother?

And lets be honest, how many good kart games can you name? (I'm no expert I must add but....Mario is the only one I can think of...)
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.