Recommend me PSP games

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

MikeHaggar

Re: Recommend me PSP games

Post by MikeHaggar » Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:08 am

zerocool wrote:Apparently Sony are working on a way to transfer your old UMD games to the new PSP GO... via a special cable or something.
Nah. More like a 'send your game to Sony and get a download back' thing AFAIK.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:43 am

killbot wrote:The best PSP game I've played is the one where you walk to GameStation and trade it in for a DS.

Chortle.
Well thats a shame as there's some truly amazing stuff on it.

XFile2708

Post by XFile2708 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:12 am

killbot wrote:The best PSP game I've played is the one where you walk to GameStation and trade it in for a DS.

Chortle.
Each to their own I guess - I've owned both and for the style of games I prefer the PSP wins hands down...

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:19 am

I like both but for a decent screen size and better looking games, the PSP can't be beaten. I'm not a graphics censored but it is nice to have the likes of KOF, Street Fighter etc. running on a handheld.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:10 am

It's almost painful watching a company trying to torpedo a great handheld. My Slim and Lite is a great bit of kit - I have loads of excellent (cheap!) retro collections and a some great new games - but the future looks dodgy now. I've watched as the UMDs disappear from the high street, as the only dedicated mag (albeit a poor one) goes bust, and as a rival handheld from the same company now splits the market.

Nintendo at least understand that software is the key - go into any gamestation and you see literally 200 DS titles. The PSP doesnt need another iteration of its hardware - it need tons of easily buyable software.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:31 am

Timothy Lumsden wrote: The PSP doesnt need another iteration of its hardware - it need tons of easily buyable software.
Hear Hear :D

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:43 am

Timothy Lumsden wrote:It's almost painful watching a company trying to torpedo a great handheld. My Slim and Lite is a great bit of kit - I have loads of excellent (cheap!) retro collections and a some great new games - but the future looks dodgy now. I've watched as the UMDs disappear from the high street, as the only dedicated mag (albeit a poor one) goes bust, and as a rival handheld from the same company now splits the market.

Nintendo at least understand that software is the key - go into any gamestation and you see literally 200 DS titles. The PSP doesnt need another iteration of its hardware - it need tons of easily buyable software.
Very true. I don't see how making PSP software downloadable-only for this new hardware iteration is going to help expand their market. If anything, it'll just limit it to the existing userbase who are 'in the know' and alienate those who aren't perhaps as tech-savvy. As long as UMD games are around then I'll buy for the machine as I really like it but I have no interest in not being able to physically hold a game in my hands.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:55 am

I'll still primarily stick to getting boxed UMD games simply for having a physical product for my collection. Download only through the PSN would be a headache for me (literally) as I spent most of Sunday trying to get the damned software to work properly on my PC.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:00 am

I'm so excited for Gran Turismo PSP it's untrue! It came as a total surprise for me. It looks like it's pushing the PSP harder than any other game, and I guess we now know why GT5 is taking so long.

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:02 am

ShadowMan wrote:I'll still primarily stick to getting boxed UMD games simply for having a physical product for my collection. Download only through the PSN would be a headache for me (literally) as I spent most of Sunday trying to get the damned software to work properly on my PC.
Glad it's not just my PC that the PSN store reduces to treacle!

killbot

Post by killbot » Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:07 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:

Chortle.
Well thats a shame as there's some truly amazing stuff on it.
I've played loads of games on the PSP and if I was being generous I'd struggle to describe more than half a dozen as 'amazing'. Loco Roco, God Of War, Patapon, the GTA games... after that I'm beginning to struggle.

I find it strange that a group of people who hooted with derision when the DSi was released - accusing Nintendo of cashing in with another incremental improvement - and who have long stated their absolute opposition to download only distribution models seem to be, in the main, cautiously optimistic about a handheld which A. is an expensive incremental improvement over extant hardware and which B. boasts a distribution model based exclusively on downloads.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:12 am

I don't want to turn this into a DS vs PSP thread I so much preferred the PSP to the DS (not to say it's not a great handheld because it is amazing) I ended up trading mine in as any game time I had was spent purely enjoying the PSP games, there are some real cracking games for it and now support is better than ever we shall see some great stuff emerging.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:22 am

The way I see it, the DS has far more software but you have to sift through countless tins of utter tripe to find the truly good stuff. Even then, there admittedly are probably more decent games for the system than the PSP.

The PSP however simply offers more to me by having a decent-sized screen (tiny screens don't do any favours for the eyes), vastly superior visuals and games that I never thought I'd have on a portable machine such as Tekken, God of War, proper 3D GTA's etc. Granted, this is all superficial stuff but I guess it just depends on what you want to play. I'd rather buy Valkyrie Profile Lenneth on the PSP say than the recent DS game if I could only choose one for example.

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:37 am

My wife has a DS which she absolutely loves & plays on LOADS.

I have a PSP which I absolutely love & play on LOADS.

Neither of us would really want the other machine as we've both got the handheld console that best suits us.

Simples.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

michaelf

Post by michaelf » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:33 am

I have a PSP and a DS. I go through phases of spending lots of time on one, then the other. I'm currently enjoying PSP gaming goodness.

It seems that my PSP library's already been mentioned in the first few posts, however I have been going onto the PSN Store (directly via my PSP, as the web-based version doesn't seem to like my Mac) and I've recently downloaded Super Stardust Portable, which is a great update of the Amiga classic.

I've also downloaded some old PSOne games, which I'm having fun with: Crash 1, Magic Carpet & Command & Conquer.

I'd like to see Sony spend some serious money on quality games being released, though it appears that they've recently lowered the dev costs so we may get some in the future (aha ha ha).