The Atari ST

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

sack

Post by sack » Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:34 pm

from a purely technical standpoint the ST internal soundchip is nothing more than what the later spectrums and CPC had, but it still had some really talented folks writing for it.

You might want to grab some demos to go with the games and have a listen - stuff by mad max and big alec is fantastic. others who know the machine better (I'm a commodore lad) can possibly recommend more.
A9 00 8D 20 D0 8D 21 D0 60

Lentini2001

Post by Lentini2001 » Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:41 pm

As for demos, cant go wrong with The Big Demo, and anything by The Care Bears - Cuddly Demos especially good, and Whattaheck also.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:22 pm

This is a fantastic site for ST games...

http://www.spiny.org/medway/medway_1_10.html

telengard

Re: The Atari ST

Post by telengard » Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:19 pm

Lindopski wrote:Hello again all, it was my birthday on the 1st and I have squandered some of my funds yet again on Ebay, this time winning :O an Atari ST.
I have bid on St's about 30 times on the bay and always been outbid even when I go up to £50 so I was very chuffed to get this one for £19 odd
The actual machine is an Atari 1040 STE with Steinberg Pro 24 III Dongle :)
sounds like something to do with midi which will be cool as my current serial cable based pc to dx-7 setup is unresponsive. I hear the ST is good at midi.

Anyway I am an Amiga boy so I know little about the ST , heck I know more about the Dragon 32 than I do about the ST so what have I bought here.
What games are good , What software is good,What peripherals do I need and what are its main good/bad points.
Is a 1040 STE ok? or an old heap lol.
As someone mentioned DotC is very good on the ST. Some games I really enjoyed on the ST are

Time Bandits (awesome game)
Dungeon Master
Oids
Plutos
Rogue
Starglider
Battle Chess
Populous

The closest I've come to a DX-7 is a VST soft synth I found of it. Seems like a very cool retro synth! Connecting it to an ST sounds neat.

~telengard
My mame cabinet and 8 bit gaming room:
http://home.comcast.net/~bsturk/

rich

Post by rich » Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:31 pm

The STE is a good buy (I own several of them). There are a few games that don't work, mainly thanks to its updated TOS version, but most of them wer patched, if not officially then via the pirate releases.

As for ST gaming, there are some STE specific titles well worth a go including:

Substation (FPS style game, nice visuals)
Obsession (superb pinball game)
Sleepwalker

Then of course they were converting all the major hits to the ST/E up until around the early to mid 90s, so you can play games like The Chaos Engine, Zool, Streetfighter 2, Lemmings 2, Prince of Persia, James Pond 2, the Ishar trilogy, etc.

Around 93/94 things are starting to go pear shaped though, the Atari Falcon is released which takes Ataris focus away from the ST range, and the Jaguar is released doing similar things. The Falcon was a beautiful machine, but didn't stand a chance (still have mine though!)

The real ST scene around these times can be found in the public domain and shareware scene, as commercial support drops, the PD scene buzzed alive, and there are some amazing games and demos to be found.

If there are any games you'd like to check out from my web site (www.atari.st), drop me an email. If the history of the ST fascinates you, dig out issue 7 of Retro Gamer where you can read my 9 page article on the subject :)

Cheers,

Rich
www.atari.st

ajgreen

Post by ajgreen » Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:34 pm

I would add the following excellent ST Games to the list:

Nitro
Spindizzy Worlds
Projectyle

TMR

Re:

Post by TMR » Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:37 pm

Lentini2001 wrote:As for demos, cant go wrong with The Big Demo, and anything by The Care Bears - Cuddly Demos especially good, and Whattaheck also.
Add Ooh Crikey Wot A Scorcher by the Lost Boys to that list, a superb demo and the soundtrack is excellent.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:41 pm

Falcon was a superb flight sim for the ST
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

rich

Post by rich » Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:45 pm

Nitro - ahh, an amazing game! What is 'Oblivion' though? I consider myself very up on the ST games, but that is a new one to me :)

Some others that were great now I come to think of it:

Photon Storm (by Jeff Minter.. a sublime game!)
ECO
Starglider 2
Any of the Thalion games - Wings of Death, Lethel Xcess, Leavin Teramis, etc (lots of them don't work on the STE though!)

This is a superb site to check out: http://www.atarilegend.com

There is one very cool game you should try - Starball by Volume 11 Software. It was a PD release, a pinball / shoot-em-up style game, very much like Devil Crash. Superb graphics and excellent gameplay :)

http://www.atarilegend.com/games/games_ ... me_id=2784

Cheers,

Rich
www.atari.st

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:47 pm

Star Trek was also a good game for ST-and I dont think it appeared on Amiga
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

rich

Post by rich » Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:52 pm

"Ooh Crikey Wot A Scorcher"

Heh.. yes, a classic :) Here are some STE specific demos for you though:

Ambience Demo
Bad Taste Demo
Bedlam Demo
Big Wobble Demo
Blittermania Demo
Brain Damage
Brutal Tekkno Demo
Calimero Demo
Coreflake Demo
that make you go mmhh Part 2
Devotion Demo
Extasia STE Demo
Extreme Rage Demo
Omega's Grotesque
Imagina XMAS 92
Kulture Melk Demo
Mangadreams II
Mental Haengover Demo
Rave a lution Demo
Esion Demo
Tyranny Demo
Wizbound Dentro
YO STE

Check out http://www.dhs.nu for what is currenly happening in the ST/Falcon scene (lots of demo downloads there too).

Lindopski

Post by Lindopski » Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:45 am

This all sounds great, it will be good to get to see some of these classics for the first time.
Ill certainly dif up my copy of Retro gamer 7 , now why didnt I think about rooting through my back issues DOH! :P
another great ting is the fondness of the demo scene as I used to enjoy a lot of the demos that were about on the Amiga though I only used to come across the more mainstream ones like Red sector, budbrain, jesus on E's and the other spaceballs one, mixed with a pile of music demos.
Thalion have been mentioned a couple of times and Defender Of the Crown must be good as it seems to be more fondly remembered than the Amiga version I had , and I liked that one.
I think the St is getting posted today so should have it in a few days now.
I know it has a mouse with it which I believe are getting more scarce. I have a few old joysticks knocking about but I may buy a second hand competition Pro of Ebay as mine died after something silly like 15-16 yrs a couple of years back. and my usb version wont plug into an ST :P
Retro when it wasnt cool

SirClive

Re:

Post by SirClive » Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:56 am

SirClive wrote:This is a fantastic site for ST games...

http://www.spiny.org/medway/medway_1_10.html
Heres another link that has all the Pompey Pirates disks...

http://www.ewtoo.org/~matt/pp/

mel the bell

Post by mel the bell » Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:34 am

hmmmm

those pompey discs not downloadable?

:(
On 2003-12-08 20:15, cyborg wrote:
You're all corporate bitches if you buy a console - face it. Unless it's a Phantom - in that case you're just stupid - because even if it did exist it'd be crap

rich

Post by rich » Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:43 am

Get them from here:

http://www.planetemu.net/index.php?section=roms&dat=368

(warning, lots of pop-up ads, but the links work and it's free)