Is there still a market for point and click adventures?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:48 pm

I think DOTT and Monkey 1 are the only games I've completed without a walkthrough

Indy/Atlantis was ok up until the final Atlantis stage,which was rock hard

Having said that,pretty much all of the Sierra adventures were impossible without a walkthru guide
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:50 pm

I did Space Quest 1 and Larry 1 without walkthroughs

paranoid marvin

Re:

Post by paranoid marvin » Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:09 pm

SirClive wrote:I did Space Quest 1 and Larry 1 without walkthroughs

didn't you find it annoying though that if you didnt pick up an object earlier in the game,you could get to a point were you couldnt proceed,and couldnt go back and pick the item up?

Lucasarts sorted that major problem out
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Utini

Post by Utini » Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:37 pm

So many posts, so many good points!

First, I love Point and Click's - they're my favourite genre, and I've played all of Lucas Arts and Revolution's output to completion without using cheat sheets. If these companies continued to make them, I'd buy them without question!

The problem, I think, stems from the fact that this type of game is now relatively easy to do - you just have to look at the travesties that are all those "flash" adventures like Dark Fall - high production values, zero entertainment value - for evidence of that, and hence zero profitability - and that gives the whole genre a bad rep.

I hope revolution keep pumping out Broken Sword adventures, and I'd love it if they did a sequel to In Cold Blood... and A LucasArts Star Wars Point and Clicker would be heaven on earth for me :D
Hey, Sweden!
They're not Swedish Mac, they're Norwegian!

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:19 am

Nobody mentioned the MYST series. This was/is basically a point and click style game.

I suppose you can say Myst went kind of 3D’ish.

paranoid marvin

Re:

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:51 pm

GarryG wrote:Nobody mentioned the MYST series. This was/is basically a point and click style game.

I suppose you can say Myst went kind of 3D’ish.
Myst ws a completely different kind of point-n-click game IMHO
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

MattC

Re:

Post by MattC » Sat Jun 17, 2006 11:00 am

SirClive wrote:I love that kind of game and only stopped buying them when the difficulty became that hard that I wasn't getting my moneys worth.
Sam and Max was probably the point that I said F*** this for a game of soldiers, what twisted weirdo would think of doing that without a walkthrough!!
I got through that game without cheating and I'm not a twisted weirdo hardly at all!

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:27 am

Its still hanging in there. The Runaway was released last year with a sequel due this year.

Very similar to the broken sword games and a sequel is due later this year.

Won't blow you away but definitely worth a punt for fans of the genre. I think you can still pick it up online.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

Demonblaze

Post by Demonblaze » Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:10 am

I totaly disagree with what was said abut Monkey Island 3. Yes Monkey Island 4 was disapointing especially the 3D graphics (although it did have redeaming features) but I loved 3. The humour was spot on (murray is equally as cool as stan) and banjo-dueling is like the pentultimate hilly-billy massacre! But as for Lucas Arts doing another adventure game... never going to happen. I mean they cancelled both Full Throttle 2 and Sam N Max 2 and Tim Schafer is off doing his own thing. Unless they sell the IPs for their games we'll just have to make do with fan games. And the same goes for Sierra.

I applaud revolution for sticking with the genre and experimenting with ways of keeping fresh, just wish the adventure company/dream catcher would stop releasing titles (most are mediocre at best) as they just seem to cement the idea that the genre isn't worth taking back.

By the way check out http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/ for some good home-made adventures.

The Penultimate Ninja

Post by The Penultimate Ninja » Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:34 am

I really enjoyed Phoenix Wright on DS. The DS is perfect for point and click games, and I'd love to see the old lucasarts games done properly for it..

They can be played via a conversion of SCUMMVM for DS, but last time I saw it running there were a few little problems like having to pan the picture because the interface didn't fit on the screen all at once, it was disappointing.

thundercat

Re:

Post by thundercat » Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:19 pm

FatTrucker wrote:Its still hanging in there. The Runaway was released last year with a sequel due this year.

Very similar to the broken sword games and a sequel is due later this year.

Won't blow you away but definitely worth a punt for fans of the genre. I think you can still pick it up online.

I really wanted this game. I remember looking on gameplay and it said it was a year away, so i eventually got it. just searched around some well known places - Amazon, Play, Gameplay, CDWow and nothing :( there was only one on ebay too. i love point and clicks and first got into them in the broken sword 1 and 2 games properly i had played the likes of discworld with rincewind but never really played them untill broken sword. i didnt like sleeping dragons fudged controls and hoping the 4th will be point and clicky like they say, the fan game broken sword 2.5 is looking cool too!