Is there ever a time to say enough is enough?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

junkmale

Is there ever a time to say enough is enough?

Post by junkmale » Mon May 29, 2006 6:37 pm

On Saturday i received (via a very affable eBay seller) a lovely CDi 350. You know the nice portable one with the built in monitor.
This brings my total of CDi players to 5. As i looked around my games room i just had a thought. I've got so many consoles/computers now and literally thousands of games for numerous systems...is there ever a right time to say enough.
If i live to be a 500 i will never ever find the time to play everything or even to take a good look at everything.
I have consoles that i've never even taken out of boxes let alone used. Never mind the thousands upon thousands of games i have on emulator discs.
The big question is...when does a hobby become an obsession?
Anybody out there have similar feelings? :cry:

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue May 30, 2006 3:37 am

That certainly seems to be an obssession !

I used to be a bit like you mainly when i lived at home. Bought tons of crap off ebay, just because i 'had to have it'. In the end i never did anything with most of it, yeah it looked great on the shelves but it was an expensive way of making my shelves look good (in my eyes).

Thats why i love emulators, dont have to have all these computers/leads/tapes hanging about all over the place. Also get married ! That helps as most wives wont let you have all that stuff all over the place or get your mates round to say 'you sad ******* !' that'll also get you back into reality !

I can understand people having different retro computers but whats the point in having 5 CDi players ?

As for all the consoles you have which you havent even taken out of the boxes that is very strange ! Once the retro booms over then most of these wont be worth that much anyway !

It will be difficult to slow down but in time you can do it ! I used to have a few systems (no way as many as you) and tons of Speccy games etc but i hardly used them and they were just taking up space. I used to be a proper 'hoarder' and hated getting rid of stuff but i have now got over my problem !

You can do it !

GetDexter

Re: Is there ever a time to say enough is enough?

Post by GetDexter » Tue May 30, 2006 6:54 am

junkmale wrote:On Saturday i received (via a very affable eBay seller) a lovely CDi 350. You know the nice portable one with the built in monitor.
This brings my total of CDi players to 5. As i looked around my games room i just had a thought. I've got so many consoles/computers now and literally thousands of games for numerous systems...is there ever a right time to say enough.
If i live to be a 500 i will never ever find the time to play everything or even to take a good look at everything.
I have consoles that i've never even taken out of boxes let alone used. Never mind the thousands upon thousands of games i have on emulator discs.
The big question is...when does a hobby become an obsession?
Anybody out there have similar feelings? :cry:
No.
As requested by the Tw@t himself - his account was Hijacked and has had a change of password.

Sorry Dexter!

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Tue May 30, 2006 7:01 am

The only spares I ever bothered keeping were for the Dreamcast, because that console's known for going a bit shonky sometimes, but I'd never consider having four back-ups for a system!
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Robbo

Post by Robbo » Tue May 30, 2006 10:31 am

Sounds obsessive, but then most collecting can be if not kept in check. I collect too, but I only collect systems I owned as a kid (for nostalgia)... I don't generally add to those collections except on the 'latest model', or in my case, games for the PS2 or PC. If I am curious about machines I may not have owned in the past as a child, I use emulation.

I too cannot understand why someone would have FIVE CDi machines, but then again everyone has their own tastes and ways of doing things so a gentle nudge to remind any obssesive collector just to be careful is all that is required here. :wink:

I guess collecting needs to be controlled or it can become an addiction like anything else...

Mantas

Post by Mantas » Tue May 30, 2006 12:20 pm

When I discovered a few years ago that I could collect the old systems, I was in heaven. I could actually own machines that I'd only read about as a kid. So I started buying pretty much anything I could find. I had grand plans to own the whole Commodore, Atari, Sega, Nintendo, Spectrum range along with the odd Neo Geo, PC Engine etc. However, as the flat got fuller and I found myself spending loads of time running from boot sale to boot sale and loads of time online, I saw that I was going about it all wrong. I decided to collect only the machines I had played on or owned as a kid (like the C64, ZX Spectrum and the Emerson Arcadia) plus a handful of machines I had always wanted (like the Amiga, Mega drive, Neo Geo) instead of getting everything under the sun. I also decided to collect only the games I used to play plus some of the classics and the great games that I never had the chance to see or play, for each system. Finally I made the conscious effort to spend less time at boot sales and online and actually enjoy what I have been collecting.

This has been working well for me as I feel I have struck the right balance between collecting and playing. I recently spent 60 hours on the excellent Skies of Arcadia and I know I wouldn't have been able to do it if I was out hunting for yet another console or game that would just sit on the shelf gathering dust. Don't get me wrong though, I still have loads of games that I've only checked if they worked and that's it and I doubt I'll ever get the time to play em, but I do make more time available to play what I have.

I'd suggest trimming your collection down to 1 of each machine. Have look through your games library and root out the games you feel you only got to have a look at and get rid of them. Then only buy a new game when you've actually finished one. That way you'll feel a sense of accomplishment instead of feeling guilty (which I think you are a bit) about having so much stuff. You can also try setting yourself a limit on how much you spend every month. This way you can buy whatever you want for the lets say £50 you've set aside but you don't go over it.

I'm note dictating to you what to do, I'm mearly saying what I did and what worked for me.

junkmale

Post by junkmale » Tue May 30, 2006 4:27 pm

It is VERY difficult to know where and when to draw the line and there is a story behind the 5 CDis but its one for another day!
The thing is, would i part with any of them...not a bit of it and if i noticed a 360 going for the right price i'd probably go for it as well..sad but true.
We have probably all been in the situation where you visit your local charity shop and there is a spectrum +2 with a host of games just sittin there for a fiver. I don't believe that there are any of us on this forum who could leave it behind...if we are going to be honest. In Northern Ireland you still get those sort of bargains in charity shops.
At the end of the day, however it is a fanancial drain but hey its a hobby like any other...and i still would give a year of my life for a nice PCFX or an Apple2GS.
Its a bit like record collectors i suppose who will buy a Spanish copy of a single which is absolutely identical but just says made in Spain on the cover?
Good point though about setting a monthly total and trying to stick to it.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue May 30, 2006 4:35 pm

A lot of the thrill is in the buying , especially if you couldn't afford them when they were new
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

mel the bell

Post by mel the bell » Tue May 30, 2006 5:40 pm

i find the thrill is indeed buying

finding stuff cheap is the thrill of the chase
not paying through the nose on egay
finding something in a charity shop and not being able to leave it :P
On 2003-12-08 20:15, cyborg wrote:
You're all corporate bitches if you buy a console - face it. Unless it's a Phantom - in that case you're just stupid - because even if it did exist it'd be crap

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed May 31, 2006 6:20 am

Dont get me wrong theres a good chance if i saw a cheap Speccy in a charity shop with games i would probably buy it, BUT as i have a Speccy already i might just get this one if it was cheap to flog on ebay , make 20 quid and treat the missus to a meal type of thing.

I wouldnt just buy it up and store it in a pile with 5 identical ones . That is very strange and obsessive specially if you arent ever gonna use it.

The first step is you realise you have this strange buying addiction ! Next step is to cure it !!!

Like i say years ago i used to horde tons of stuff, hated getting rid of some stuff and looking back i'm gutted i did get rid of certain things but at the end of the day if you arent storing it to sell in years to come at a profit or you hardly use it and its in a box doing nothing then that is quite strange !

khisanth

Post by khisanth » Wed May 31, 2006 9:14 am

I have a very similar story to most people. I collected most consoles/computers simply to have it. A few i have bought because I really wanted them and do actually use them.

but got to the point where I have nearly all the computers and consoles i want, but have no room to put them on display let alone make use of. There are a few machines I still want, but these are harder to find and more expensive. My gf is getting a bit fed up of it all and as we are getting married the collecting has to go on hold! with a bigger house I will be able to display them.

Gameswise I have bought the games I want and the games I think I should own so whilst I have a fair few its not loads and loads. I dont collect EVERY game for a system, only the rare or decent ones.

Duplicate wise I only have 1 spare of some systems, some computers die easier than others (zx spectrum being the most fragile i found). but I do get the urge to buy a C64 breadbin case whenever i see them! Five of the same machine is a bit obsessive. :wink:

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Wed May 31, 2006 12:32 pm

I don't tend to duplicate. When I bought a Speccy 128, I gave the Speccy+ to a mate. I got an extra C64 in a joysticky type gadgety thing in some mix up and gave that to a friend. I have just been offered a couple of N64's but already have one so will probably stick one on ebay and give the other away.

mel the bell

Re:

Post by mel the bell » Wed May 31, 2006 1:49 pm

psj3809 wrote:Dont get me wrong theres a good chance if i saw a cheap Speccy in a charity shop with games i would probably buy it, BUT as i have a Speccy already i might just get this one if it was cheap to flog on ebay , make 20 quid and treat the missus to a meal type of thing.

I wouldnt just buy it up and store it in a pile with 5 identical ones . That is very strange and obsessive specially if you arent ever gonna use it.

The first step is you realise you have this strange buying addiction ! Next step is to cure it !!!

Like i say years ago i used to horde tons of stuff, hated getting rid of some stuff and looking back i'm gutted i did get rid of certain things but at the end of the day if you arent storing it to sell in years to come at a profit or you hardly use it and its in a box doing nothing then that is quite strange !
ive always collected / hoarded stuff

used to be keyrings, adam ant stuff
then records, tapes, cds, videos

now its computer stuff, consoles and streets stuff oh and dvds :P
On 2003-12-08 20:15, cyborg wrote:
You're all corporate bitches if you buy a console - face it. Unless it's a Phantom - in that case you're just stupid - because even if it did exist it'd be crap

Lindopski

Post by Lindopski » Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:01 am

I am the same mate , I have probably about 6 Amigas of various type now , but I lend them out to people , my mate currently has two of them for example, and I recently got one back off another friend who wanted to use my Octamed collection.
I have two Acorn Electrons I know of and I think I have 2 BBC Micros and about two or possibly three commodore 64s and a couple of Vic20's.
I dont have them all setup at the same time , but im sorted for spares.
I never get rid of anything either much to my g/f annoyance.
I even bought a ps1 off ebay last week as I couldnt be arsed rooting through the attic to find one of the other two lol.
everything is coming out of there soon though ,I dont want them getting damp.
I am trying to diversify a little now though , most of the things I have are machines I have played on or owned during my youth.
I fancy trying new territory such as colecovisions et al.
Retro when it wasnt cool

psj3809

Re:

Post by psj3809 » Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:05 am

mel the bell wrote:and dvds :P
Yeah my last 'obsession' was dvds. Used to buy tons, watch them once and leave them on the shelf. Bit of a waste.

Now i do collect classic films i've always loved and would go back to a few times but i've managed to cut down my dvd buying a lot !

Think thats mainly due to online rental places now, at the end of the day many films i would watch once and never again. Was with Britannia for years, prices werent actually that good but it was cool getting a new video through the post every week or two.