some gamecube advice please

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Scapegoat

Re: some gamecube advice please

Post by Scapegoat » Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:06 am

Gamestation in Leeds were selling new 3rd party GC controller (Logic 3 iirc) for a fiver. The cables were way too short, but I picked up a couple of extention leads from http://www.dealextreme.com/ for pennies.

I've managed to get a few GC games (hate Resi type games) so I'm in the market for those intending to sell... :D
HADDOCKEN!

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:32 am

I use Logic3 GC controllers. I don't know about the current versions but the one I use is pretty robust and I have no problems with it. Plus, it works in the first slot in the Wii's GC controller ports which some people are having trouble with.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:36 am

Donkey kong jungle beat, the kind of fun playing on the wii should have been.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:30 pm

killbot wrote:Rarity doesn't always equal expense though - Tomb Raider Legend and Splinter Cell Double Agent were both released around the same time as Twilight Princess and in numbers almost as low, but while the latter commands £30+ price tags the former two can be had for a tenner apiece.
This is what I don't understand. Why are those games still so expensive for GC? Its not like they were exclusives, you can pick up versions for other platforms for a couple of quid. GC games always cost at least double the price of other versions.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

killbot

Post by killbot » Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:30 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
killbot wrote:Rarity doesn't always equal expense though - Tomb Raider Legend and Splinter Cell Double Agent were both released around the same time as Twilight Princess and in numbers almost as low, but while the latter commands £30+ price tags the former two can be had for a tenner apiece.
This is what I don't understand. Why are those games still so expensive for GC? Its not like they were exclusives, you can pick up versions for other platforms for a couple of quid. GC games always cost at least double the price of other versions.
Not always, the likes of Turok Evolution, Prince Of Persia and Call Of Duty aren't unduly expensive. Tomb Raider Legend and Splinter Cell Double Agent (and indeed Twilight Princess), however, were among the very last Gamecube releases and therefore were released in low numbers. IIRC there wasn't even going to be a GC version of Tomb Raider - it was released months after the other versions.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

SexyWayne

Post by SexyWayne » Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:54 pm

Why am I the only person to have mentioned Zelda - Four Swords Adventures??? has nobody else played this little beauty??

I take it Twilight Princess still fetches a fair bit then?? I bought mine new at time of release, It cost me nearly 50 quid then :shock:

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:02 pm

blimey resi zero still quite a lot then :o

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:40 am

SexyWayne wrote:Why am I the only person to have mentioned Zelda - Four Swords Adventures??? has nobody else played this little beauty??

I take it Twilight Princess still fetches a fair bit then?? I bought mine new at time of release, It cost me nearly 50 quid then :shock:
It still sells for around the £40-£50 mark on ebay. I've even seen sealed copies on BIN's at around £80-£90.

Personally, given all that, I wouldn't mind paying £20-£25 for a copy if I saw it used and in good condition in gamestation or GAME.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:10 am

paranoid marvin wrote:
Mire Mare wrote:
tuddy wrote:I highly recommend a wavebird- I have a white one I use to play virtual console games.
There was a white Wavebird? I've not seen one of those. Is it official Nintendo tuddy? Got any pics?

Think I had a white one also- got it pretty much day 1 it came out -was gutted when it didnt have rumble , as no one had mentioned this missing function.
What coolour are they usually?
They're an uninspiring battleship grey colour. There was also a far nicer looking silver version too.

@Mayhem .. .. .. Club Nintendo Japan you say .. .. They always get the good stuff!! :evil: I just had a look on Play Asia and found this >> Image Is that the one you mean? I didn't know those existed until you said. Pretty cool.

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:42 am

Megamixer wrote: It still sells for around the £40-£50 mark on ebay. I've even seen sealed copies on BIN's at around £80-£90.

Personally, given all that, I wouldn't mind paying £20-£25 for a copy if I saw it used and in good condition in gamestation or GAME.
I can't believe it goes for this much!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/THE-LEGEND-OF-ZEL ... |294%3A200

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/THE-LEGEND-OF-ZEL ... |294%3A200

The wife has played through this & I'm pretty sure it's in good condition so she wouldn't be averse to selling it. I'll ask her this evening if she wouldn't mind parting with it & for how much.

I'd much rather someone off here got it than go to the rigmarole of EvilBay.

I might have a bit of a mini-clearout this evening & post on off topic.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

SexyWayne

Post by SexyWayne » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:59 am

I just couldn't bear to part with my Zelda collection, I have all the proper Zelda games as originals, and there's no way I could flog them off for a bit of extra cash, although I could do with a box and manual for Majora's Mask.

When I say proper Zelda games I mean the Nintendo console releases

NES: Legend of Zelda and Zelda II
Gameboy: Oracle of Ages & Seasons and Link's Awakening DX & B&W
SNES: Link to the past
N64: Ocarina & Majora's Mask
GC: Collector's Edition, Windwaker & Ocarina Master Quest bonus disc, Twilight Princess & Four Swords Adventures
GBA: Link to the Past and Minish Cap
DS: Phantom Hourglass

Out of the above I can't play the NES, SNES or DS releases because I don't own the hardware :lol: one day.... I'll get round to buying them, but TBH I prefer playing the handheld titles via emulation, bigger screen etc..., I'm yet to play Phantom Hourglass, so when I do finally buy a DS I hope it's worth the wait

helmetfan02

Post by helmetfan02 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:13 pm

If i was going to make some suggestions i would say to get the following

Baten kaitos
battalion wars
eternal darkness
f-zero gx
harvest moon,a wonderful life
billy hatcher and the giant egg
mario kart,double dash
mario party 5
metroid 1 and 2
paper mario, the thousand year door
pikmin 1 and 2
all the gamecube resident evil games
skies of arcadia legends
super mario sunshine
smash brothers melee
tales of symphonia
legend of zelda,collectors edition,the wind waker,4 swords adventure,twilight princess
super monkey ball 1 and 2

i have included twilight princess but if you own a wii i wouldnt bother with it as its cheaper to get the wii version

the resi evil games i have included but if you own 2,3,4,veronica on any other systems i wouldnt bother either, zero is a camecube exclusive, as is the remake of the 1st game. if you have a ps2 dont bother with monkey ball either as they put both games on 1 disk for the ps2.

skies of arcadia is superb and is worth buying even if you have the dreamcast version as they added extra things into it, it can be pricey though, the cheapest i found a secondhand copy of the game was for £20 at cex, it is worth double that however in my opinion.\

there are also ports of the sonic adventure games released for the dreamcast, they are not the most popular games with critics but i have found memories playing both, especially the first one, there is also a collection of some of the mega drive ones, i think its called sonic mega collection.

also dont bother with unofficial memory cards, stick to the gamecube ones and try and get the larger capacity black ones where possible.

can anybody tell me what they think of the following games

p.no3
donkey kong jungle beat
final fantasy cc

the games above represent a list of some of the best exclusives for the system, some of the games are quite pricey, be ready to fork out between £20-£30 for some of the games on the list

hope this helps

killbot

Post by killbot » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:18 pm

Twilight Princess is a weird one. It's cheaper on the Wii and the machine is (marginally) technically superior, so it should be a no brainer to go for that version. But I found (and I know I'm not alone) that the motion controls weren't hugely well implemented. Even something as simple as making Epona jump seemed beyond me. So I gave up and bought the GC version, and enjoyed it much more.

The Wii version, IMO, was a quick and dirty port that was in no way optimised to make the most of the hardware and was only done because otherwise - with Super Mario Galaxy and Metroid Prime 3 not due for months - there would have been no big-name first-party franchise available at launch.

Then again, my brother loves it.

PS - as for P.N.03, I love it. It's very easy but that's missing the point - it's kind of like the original NiGHTS, in that the aim is not to complete it but to do so with as big a score as possible. It's quietly magnificent and one of the GC's best kept secrets.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

SexyWayne

Post by SexyWayne » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:24 pm

helmetfan02 wrote:i have included twilight princess but if you own a wii i wouldnt bother with it as its cheaper to get the wii version

if you have a ps2 dont bother with monkey ball either as they put both games on 1 disk for the ps2.
The Wii version of Twilight Princess is arse backwards tho, because they had to make Link right handed, so the game map is reversed :? and the controls are crap too

If you can put up with the load times on the PS2 version of Monkey Ball then fair play, but the Cube versions are lightning fast and look and play a lot better too

helmetfan02

Post by helmetfan02 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:32 pm

i didnt think that the wii remote controls for zelda where terrible but i dint finish i didnt get that far and i can see that they could be quite irritating, the wii was sold last year so i could by an xbox, there are not enouth top quality games for the wii and nintendo dont have to bother as people are buying the console as it is the current fad.

i would like to play madworld and house of the dead overkill but i will wait till i can pick one up for about £40 in the future, if they released a new skies of arcadia or shenmue for the system, or a jet set radio then i would run out and buy another one instantly.

apparently its starting to slip in japan, mainly due to a lack of decent games from what i can gather, there will be a new fad around the corner and when it arrives that will be the end of the wii

thanks for pno3 advice, i will probably buy it as i like to try and get my hands on any interesting games i dont own for a console i own. thats why i wanted to know about those games on the list.