Time distorts the memory...

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:28 am

Yeah good point, i still get that feeling 'a bit' the last 15 years or so

When my mate had a Gameboy i had never seen these before, then seeing him change the cartridge and put in another game, it was so brilliant !

Being a fan of american football the first time i saw Madden on the Megadrive, wow oh wow !

First time i saw GTA i was blown away but for me the big thing was Doom on the PC. I had a megadrive at the time, one of my mates had the first PC amongst our group and seeing Doom was just stunning. Funny when you look back !

I still get some of those feelings with todays games but not often, but yeah back then seeing games which were coming out, damn it was so exciting. Obviously being younger back then did help but the preview section in magazines for the games coming out, damn it was an exciting time !

superstarbeejay

Post by superstarbeejay » Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:11 am

It's funny thinking about this right now after playing the fight night 3 demo.

I was absolutely gobsmacked by it. I remember thinking I haven't been this blown away by the initial moments of a game since...

the after burner arcade cab, Head over heals, Quake, John Madden on the Mega drive, as someone mentioned, or Metroid prime.

Funnily enough I still think all those are still great enjoyable games.

Randall Flagg

Post by Randall Flagg » Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:29 am

I was blown away by the original Tekken, the realistic look and super fast 3D. Looking at it again the other day gave me a good laugh, I couldn't believe how blocky it looked, Also I didn't really notice how much better looking each Tekken got but looking at the original compared to Tekken 3, they're miles apart.

The same goes for the tombraiders, how much lara improved between TR1 and TR chronicles.
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image

SpecChum81
Location: London, a small village on Mars, just outside the capital city, Wubble!!

Post by SpecChum81 » Fri May 11, 2007 8:52 am

Hmmm.

I've always played my Speccy and Megadrive games since I first got them I've regularly fired them up in the years since.

As they've always been played, my memory has always remained pretty fresh.

I'm not one of these who have boxed up their games only to rediscover them years later, I've always had them set up and played them very regularly.

I don't think time didtorts the memory as such, but as we grow and our tastes change, things will always seem better or worse than when we first saw/heard/read/played them.

Now with emulation, I've always got the games at the click of a mouse 1) to save on wear and tear on my original systems and 2) to get get my regular retro fill.

But I do take the point on Arcade games I haven't played for years. Some haven't aged well, and some just become easy, when as a kid they seemed really hard.

Interesting points raised in this topic though...
Press Play On Tape

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri May 11, 2007 9:03 am

Randall Flagg wrote:The same goes for the tombraiders, how much lara improved between TR1 and TR chronicles.
Mrs Ant wanted to play a Tomb Raider this week, so I picked up Legend for my PS2 at the weekend.

She didn't like the controls, so she's gone back to play the original. Still looks pretty good and she never even mentioned any change in quality - she just accepted that ths is how it is. Still surprisingly playable which is more than can be said for many 3D games of that period.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

sleeper77

Post by sleeper77 » Fri May 11, 2007 9:37 am

Matchday. I forgot how slow the game was. I keep on thinking it is on the speed as Pro Evo. It was still by far the best football I had for my CPC. Anyone remember European 5 A Side Soccer?

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Fri May 11, 2007 10:20 am

That's the 3rd post of yours i've read so far that references Mrs Ant, are you on a mission?
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri May 11, 2007 12:09 pm

Elgin_McQueen wrote:That's the 3rd post of yours i've read so far that references Mrs Ant, are you on a mission?
What can I say? She's on my mind, I've hardly seen her the last couple of days :oops:

And she's going through one of her gaming spells :D
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Sat May 12, 2007 5:13 pm

I suppose it's acceptable then. :D
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.