Time distorts the memory...

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Randall Flagg

Time distorts the memory...

Post by Randall Flagg » Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:51 am

I often find when I revisit games on emus that they're not quite how my mind insists they were when I originally played them...

Good example, I remembered Jetpac (UPTG) having a physics engine for momentum in air while you were jetpacing around the screen. Replaying it I find that theres no physics there at all. Push the jet button and you go up, let it go and you plummet! Not that it isn't still one of the finest computer games ever made!!!!

Also does anyone remember "Treasure Trap" on the Amiga. It was like a 16bit Alien8 except set on an sunken ship. You had to grab treasure and escape the sunken wreck. The sea critters in with you looked excellent and one fish in particular (I called it the buzz saw fish) swam around slowly and then in a cloud of movement devoured anything it came into contact with (to the sound of a buzz saw).
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image

necronom

Post by necronom » Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:29 am

Also does anyone remember "Treasure Trap" on the Amiga.
I do. I never managed to finish it, but I did get quite far.

I put a piece of plastic film (used for overhead projectors) on the screen and drew over the map, then put blobs of blu-tak on the locations I had cleared. It was important to plan your route, so I needed the map. I still have it somewhere with blu-tak still in place :)

I got a few screens from the end, but couldn't quite make it all the way without losing all my lives :(

DonkeySpank

Post by DonkeySpank » Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:33 am

I know what you mean about the non-existent JetPac physics-engine. I "remembered" this too, and was slightly surprised when I later discovered it never existed in the first place! And then, a few months ago, I bought one of the Retro compilations for the Xbox which included Joust - I found to my delight/bewilderment that it was the Joust "physics/gravity-esque" engine that I was thinking of and not JetPac at all!
Ho-hum.
Love both games though.
But not as much as Mr.Do.
Mr.Do - he loves you.

Randall Flagg

Re:

Post by Randall Flagg » Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:46 am

necronom wrote:
Also does anyone remember "Treasure Trap" on the Amiga.
I do. I never managed to finish it, but I did get quite far.

I put a piece of plastic film (used for overhead projectors) on the screen and drew over the map, then put blobs of blu-tak on the locations I had cleared. It was important to plan your route, so I needed the map. I still have it somewhere with blu-tak still in place :)

I got a few screens from the end, but couldn't quite make it all the way without losing all my lives :(
I never managed to get very far but enjoyed the game due to the similarity of the viewpoint perspective to UPTGs Filmation engine. And the Buzzsaw fish always cracked me up. Still play it now.
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image

andy vaisey

Post by andy vaisey » Thu Dec 15, 2005 2:46 pm

I would like to comment on whether or not "time distorts the memory" but I can't remember if it does or not. If I do remember I'll probably forget to post here... ;)

Actually, I can usually fire up an old favourite and remember what happens where and when, examples being where enemies come onto the screen in Slap Fight (C64) and which ones drop stars, or where items are located in Last Ninja.

Although, I could swear that the original C64's Paradroid (not speedier Heavy Metal versions or the like) was a lot faster all those years ago than it is...

Randall Flagg

Post by Randall Flagg » Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:13 am

I was quite suprised that after not playing Sabre Wulf for about ten years, the first time I flashed it up on emulator I still remembered my route through the game and managed to complete it on the third go, Likewise I still remembered the layout of the house in aticatac
Retrotechy.

Hungry Horace

Post by Hungry Horace » Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:01 am

Time may distort the memory in some ways, but in others it remains as sharp as a razor.

I had a crack at Speccy Deflector a few months ago, which I have not played for at least a decade. A friend and I would spend evenings meticulously working out the mirror path and keeping detailed notes. I lost the notes, but found put that I did not need them. After a decade, I was able to whack up to about level 10 in a matter of minutes. Same with the old Amiga 'dungeon RPG' titles like Dungeon Master, Eye of the Beholder, etc. I seem to still be able to navigate the mazes from memory, without even knowing I knew the way after all this time.

Also; does anybody else find that they can remember old pokes and cheats from the old times? MOTHERF*CKINGKIWIB*STARDS anybody?
Get your own Gamercard Sig.

Wil

Re:

Post by Wil » Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:23 am

DonkeySpank wrote:Love both games though.
But not as much as Mr.Do.
Mr.Do - he loves you.
Heh! I found that Mp3 on the net as well. Mr.Do!'s my fave game of all time.

planetmatt

Post by planetmatt » Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:27 am

I remember being able to complete the Atari Decathalon 1500m on the 2600 without getting out of breath or feeling arthritic aches in my wrist. I dont know about memory, but time + fast food - exercise = distorted health.

DonkeySpank

Re:

Post by DonkeySpank » Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:41 am

Wil wrote: Heh! I found that Mp3 on the net as well. Mr.Do!'s my fave game of all time.
:wink: Love that tune. AND I love Mr.Do of course! Just had a quick blast of it on MAME, dammit marjorie i really DO love that game!! :D

revgiblet

Post by revgiblet » Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:20 am

This happens to me all the time. I don't remember Midwinter 2 being as sluggish as it appears now, for example.

Same with F-19 Stealth Fighter or Syndicate.

Ish

Post by Ish » Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:53 am

I don't think its just dilution of memory. Looking back I'm pretty certain that when I played games in the 80s my imagination filled in the gaps left by the technology.
www.videogamejunkie.co.uk - musings on old videogames

Randall Flagg

Post by Randall Flagg » Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:51 am

Thats exactly it!

If you picked up a good 8 bit game in the eighties then you were too dazzled to ask yourself any questions. Your memory simply recorded that this was a very good game. I mean, who had even heard of a physics movement engine in the early eighties?

Now we're all used to these thing yr brain must simply assume that it was all included because its still sat in yr memory labelled as "a good game".

And wierd mystic space monkey brain rays/mind control do the rest........
Retrotechy.

Marlon

Re:

Post by Marlon » Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:59 am

Hungry Horace wrote:Also; does anybody else find that they can remember old pokes and cheats from the old times? MOTHERF*CKINGKIWIB*STARDS anybody?
Ah yes, the ole' Amiga "New Zealand Story" cheat...Anyone remember what game "Jammmm" was a cheat for?

Hungry Horace

Re:

Post by Hungry Horace » Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:03 pm

Marlon wrote:
Hungry Horace wrote:Also; does anybody else find that they can remember old pokes and cheats from the old times? MOTHERF*CKINGKIWIB*STARDS anybody?
Ah yes, the ole' Amiga "New Zealand Story" cheat...Anyone remember what game "Jammmm" was a cheat for?
Amiga Batman.

I claim my five pounds. I will settle for a mince pie.
Get your own Gamercard Sig.