Golf Games

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

sirclive1

Re: Golf Games

Post by sirclive1 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:18 pm

Space_turnip wrote:PGA golf 3 on the Mega Drive was, and remains, one of my all time favourite games. Incredible depth, great graphics, loads of stats, 8 courses - great game.

Only golf game to beat it would be Tiger Woods 2004. Every Tiger Woods games before or after didn't quite hit the mark, but with 2004 everything came together brilliantly.

I remember an old Golf game on the speccy, where everything was top down view, but the name escapes me (the graphics were basically the course laid out from above, and then a line appeared showing the direction you were hitting the ball in - any help here would be good!); Neo Turf Masters is great fun (albeit only on the PSP comp) and I loved PGA european tour on the PC too; had some incredible graphics, and I thought it was far better than Links which always seemed too serious to me.
I agree with both your choices , pga 3 and also pga european tour are still awesome , and tiger woods 2004 (xb) is the best golf game on modern consoles.

Your speccy query could be either Royal Birkdale by Ocean , Pro Golf , or Nick Faldo Plays the open .
Luxor the moonprince - Doomguard Slayer

sirclive1

Space_turnip wrote:PGA golf 3 on the Mega Drive was, and remains, one of my all time favourite games. Incredible depth, great graphics, loads of stats, 8 courses - great game.

Only golf game to beat it would be Tiger Woods 2004. Every Tiger Woods games before or after didn't quite hit the mark, but with 2004 everything came together brilliantly.

I remember an old Golf game on the speccy, where everything was top down view, but the name escapes me (the graphics were basically the course laid out from above, and then a line appeared showing the direction you were hitting the ball in - any help here would be good!); Neo Turf Masters is great fun (albeit only on the PSP comp) and I loved PGA european tour on the PC too; had some incredible graphics, and I thought it was far better than Links which always seemed too serious to me.
I agree with both your choices , pga 3 and also pga european tour are still awesome , and tiger woods 2004 (xb) is the best golf game on modern consoles.

Your speccy query could be either Royal Birkdale by Ocean , Pro Golf , or Nick Faldo Plays the open .

sirclive1

sirclive1

Post by sirclive1 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:23 pm

Sorry for the triple post , damn slow pc playing up , can posts not be deleted anymore ? :x

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:29 pm

I have only played Links a long time ago on the PC, and also Zany Golf(which I thought was fun!). Did anyone else like Zany Golf?

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:24 am

I did a feature about Golf games way back in Episode 6 of Weekend Gamer TV which included Golfamania on the SMS through to PGA on the Megadrive and on to the first Tiger Woods Wii game TW07.
Personaly I would never go back to playing a golf game with a pad. TW09 might look fantastic on the PS3 but the Wii controls are so spot on now playing it on anyhting else is a waste of your time.
Get up off the sofa and swing that club on the Wii, if you like Golf games you will love these golf games...

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:18 am

Opa-Opa wrote:IPersonaly I would never go back to playing a golf game with a pad. TW09 might look fantastic on the PS3 but the Wii controls are so spot on now playing it on anyhting else is a waste of your time.
Get up off the sofa and swing that club on the Wii, if you like Golf games you will love these golf games...
I can second that opinon!

Having owned TW09 on the Wii, I'll say it's a fantastic game .... the only reason I don't have it is because I sold the Wii and games (it'd buggered up, and I needed some dosh :oops: )
The swing motion is very realistic, but also for crap golfers (like myself) very unforgiving at times :lol:

TheDude18

Post by TheDude18 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:40 am

World class leaderboard on the C64 is a classic and well worth revisiting

Mario Golf on the cube is good fun with some well designed courses and mini games

As Opa has allready mentioned, Tiger Woods on the Wii is superb and once you get used to the swing mechanic there's no going back

One game no one seemed to like (bar me) was Virtual Golf on the PC. I think is was the first golf game rendered in full 3D, and you could walk around the whole course if you wanted to.

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:47 am

I think I might give the new Tiger Woods a go, if they've got rid of that annoying "swing-with-the-thumbstick-and-always-hook-or-slice-it" control method.

I really enjoyed TW07, even if there were a few odd characters on there. That Predator course was very cool, loads of options, competitions and courses to keep me occupied.
I just hated that control method.

My favourite older game is probably Actua Golf 2 on the PS. Hilarious commentary, the best line being "He's in the bunker! Brighton beach!"
Really Mr Alliss? A pebble-filled bunker with extra rusty can and used johhnie hazards?

Seadog74

Post by Seadog74 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:50 am

Nick Faldo Championship for the amiga was a fave of mine.
Zany Golf has already been mentioned.
Quite liked the Actua series on the playstation.
Tiger Woods on the Gamecube.
How about Pro Golf Simulator from Codemasters for an oldie, never played it tho.
Never played the Outlaw Golf series either.

station

Post by station » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:21 am

Played Ace Golf on Gamecube for ages. Might dig it out again for the Wii

crusto

Post by crusto » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:52 pm

EvilArmourKing wrote:So, does this mean that NO ONE liked Arnold Palmer's Tournament Golf on the Megadrive?

There must be at least one fan :o
I loved it, but when pga came out it blew it away imo. Much more depth and better, more realistic gameplay.

Eat your nans pants

thl

Post by thl » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:40 pm

I'm familar with the PGA Tour Golf series for the Mega Drive which was decent. Since I picked up Golf (NES), it's the only golf game that I settle with.