Who gets collection urges?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

famicom69

Re: Who gets collection urges?

Post by famicom69 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:02 pm

I get urges all the time, need to keep an eye on my money though. This week I've been pouring over various arcade classics for the Game Boy and the Neo Geo Pocket Color. I really want to play Turf Masters and the Ghosts 'n Goblins mini game in SNK vs. Capcom: The Match of the Millennium.

BellyFullOfHell

Post by BellyFullOfHell » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:36 pm

I used to have mad collection urges, and for five years I had the collection to go with it. Then my relationship, and life collapsed, and I lost the lot. The shooter part of my Saturn collection went to Darran from RG as a matter of fact, for about half of what it was worth. If you're reading, have you still got it all Darran? Now, as long as I've got access to the games I grew up loving, I don't mind how I play them. I'd love to own some of the original stuff again, but on the other hand I look back at paying out £350 for a Waku Waku 7 cart and wonder what I was on at the time. The Taito and Capcom comps pretty much rendered the Saturn dead unless purely for collecting purposes and the SNK games have been pimped out so many times it's not even funny.

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:11 pm

yes, but sadly real life has caught up with me.

My collection is at around 50 games now. Not that any of them are bad mind you.

I sold my dreamcast/ps2 and ps1 collection off, and nearly all my neo geo aes collection. Crying inside, but thats what happens when you live beyond your means

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:14 pm

why cry,like i pointed out in the does it matter to have a high value game thread,it doesn't really matter,once you have them,thats it,what do you get out of it?,nothing,only other people dying to get the same so they can be like you.

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:22 pm

Fred83 wrote:why cry,like i pointed out in the does it matter to have a high value game thread,it doesn't really matter,once you have them,thats it,what do you get out of it?,nothing,only other people dying to get the same so they can be like you.
figure of speech, but im selling games that mean somthing to me hence gutted to be selling them. For me though i still do care about having the couple fo rarities, it add to my small collection nicely

Neilos626

Post by Neilos626 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:31 am

I'm so impulsive its a nightmare. I moved recently and during the move found an old warhammer figure, just the one. This then spurred me on to start collecting again and I now have over 50 figures, these I've collected in the last 4 weeks :shock:
Flux Capacitors wanted email MartyMcFly1985@greatscott.net

SoupDragon

Post by SoupDragon » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:52 am

I definately get urges but I try not to let them take over me like they have in the past lol I do collect things like Dreamcast & Speccy games, Wendy's burgers toys and the odd figure but the itch isn't as big. I'll grab 'em if I see them but I won't spend hours trawling auction sites like I used to :lol:

Mr Vengeance

Post by Mr Vengeance » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:09 pm

speedlolita wrote:
Mr Vengeance wrote:
speedlolita wrote:Only collection urges I get now is for stupidly expensive stuff, which is great because I don't even go in game stores anymore. :lol: :lol:
Well then you're missing out because you're becoming elitest.
Nah, going for PCBs now.

I'm just hard pressed finding stuff that I actually play in shops. That said, I should get a Wii again because I want Sin and Punishment and various other Wii games. For 360 though, it's just SSFIV and PS3 for BlazBlue.
No offence man, but I think you are all over the place with your games buying right now. You've probably had every system ever and sold them off and then rebought them again. You won't go into a shop but you're buying up a load of PCBs now? You sold your import Xbox last week too. Now you want a Wii again?

Time to slow down a bit mate. Buy some stuff for the more regular platforms and just chill a bit buying and selling and acquiring all sorts every five minutes.
retrojc wrote:yes, but sadly real life has caught up with me.

My collection is at around 50 games now. Not that any of them are bad mind you.

I sold my dreamcast/ps2 and ps1 collection off, and nearly all my neo geo aes collection. Crying inside, but thats what happens when you live beyond your means
I have over 400 games, acquired over... oh, I'd say over the last 12 years or so, the majority of them. Thing is, I could afford them all at the time I bought them, and they were all bought with money earn't - not on credit cards. I have thus bought within my means, and I think that you are right to offload them games if you couldn't afford to get them at the time and you ended up in debt. Wise move.

I think this thread has exposed a more negative side to gaming - that of people buying up stuff that they could not afford, because they got obsessed and lost control of themselves - possibly through addiction to games. I look at some of the collections in the photo thread and thing how the censored you guys could afford to have all those games. I think I have a fricking massive collection, bought mostly from shops I worked in with a staff discount, and when these games were in sales, etc. That there's guys on here with collections far bigger than mine, I'm absolutely amazed at it - how they managed to pay for it all. Surely something had to suffer as a result?

I really think its importand not to let gaming get out of hand chaps, and I think Fred83 is very much on the ball here with his thoughts. If you are merely having games to brag about on the internet, get rid and go and "play" some games for a change.
Nintendo DS games: 41

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:28 pm

well,what i liked here was people just bought the stuff,pure and simple,they putted money where their mouth was :).

Mr Vengeance

Post by Mr Vengeance » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:30 pm

I still thinks there's a good deal of buying for the sake of buying going on here though, and not a lot of playing. I am perhaps a bit guilty of this myself of late, but I get around to all my games eventually after a binge. I don't just sell them on for my next purchase that i'll never use properly...

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:35 pm

sometimes.
Last edited by Fred83 on Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr Vengeance

Post by Mr Vengeance » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:40 pm

Can't argue with the theory of supply and demand

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:41 pm

Mr Vengeance wrote:Can't argue with the theory of supply and demand
true,if theres a profit to be made,so be it,i bet you wouldn't sell your geo games below cost!.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:47 pm

I am addicted to buying PS2 games I think. I have spent maybe a little more than I should, around £350 this year but I have got around 50 games for all of that and am slowly playing through them.

I have completed, God of War, God of War 2, Red Faction, Red Faction 2, Darkwatch, SOS The Final Escape, Need for Speed Underground, Ace Combat 5, Jak and Daxter, God Hand and Metal Gear Solid 2 off of the top of my head.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

Mr Vengeance

Post by Mr Vengeance » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:59 pm

Fred83 wrote:
Mr Vengeance wrote:Can't argue with the theory of supply and demand
true,if theres a profit to be made,so be it,i bet you wouldn't sell your geo games below cost!.
No I wouldn't mind at all making a few bob off them! With the Euro weakened, they have become more valuable. Oh, and apologies for earlier, I think I paraphrased you incorrectly, I think I was thinking of what someone else had said....
nakamura wrote:I am addicted to buying PS2 games I think. I have spent maybe a little more than I should, around £350 this year but I have got around 50 games for all of that and am slowly playing through them.

I have completed, God of War, God of War 2, Red Faction, Red Faction 2, Darkwatch, SOS The Final Escape, Need for Speed Underground, Ace Combat 5, Jak and Daxter, God Hand and Metal Gear Solid 2 off of the top of my head.
If truth be told, I think there's a lot of people addicted to buying PS2 games on here. I think they feel that they're great little bargains, but if truth be told, is a rubbish game bought for a quid worth the money if you're never going to play it? And if you do this a lot, you can see that there could be a lot of money wasted on PS2 games, even though they appear to be cheap. I've seen some seriously censored games bought by people on here recently, just to bulk up their numbers.

Twice lately I have had to catch myself on buying DS games. First, I bought games about a month ago that I took back, then the other day, I almost bought a sh!t game for €12 just because I felt it was in some way collectable - I was just buying it for the sake of it :roll: I've now put that money to one side for something worthwhile.

There's a lot of wasting of money going on in the gaming community, the thing is, you got to know when its happening to you and act accordingly. There's no harm in the odd binge or mistake, but sometimes things can get out of hand, and when that happens, people can get very resentful of their collection - then it goes on eBay and then they regret it afterwards :roll:

Everything in moderation as they say :)