Top 5 games you lost most hours on...... !

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

harlequ1n

Re: Top 5 games you lost most hours on...... !

Post by harlequ1n » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:45 pm

woody.cool wrote:
harlequ1n wrote:Doom I & II (PC/360) I think I beat those two once or twice a year since 2002 when I bought my 1st computer. Would like to play some XBLA deathmatch if someone fancies some shotgun to the face.
Looks like I'm gonna have to sort out an XBOX Live GOLD sub and get Doom on my 360 then ;) Once this is done, I fancy some deathmatch Doom "shotgun to the face" stylee action :D
Whenever you please man :D I'll be waiting.

Tabe

Post by Tabe » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:38 am

Hmmm...

Mine would be:

Ultima 4 (Apple II)
Age of Empires II (PC)
IO Silver (Apple II)
Pokerstars.com (PC)
Tetris (multiple)

Tabe

Mighty_Zol

Post by Mighty_Zol » Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:53 am

Strategy games tend to be my biggest time vampires
Added together, I think the civilization series has by far stolen most hours of my life.

I've had some pretty epic sessions of Heroes of Might and Magic 3 over the years so that probably gets second place.

I wouldn't be surprised if Tekken 2 was quite a big one - over my uni years I played this a ridiculous amount. The game actually kept a record of the number of hours played (or at least was switched on for) and it was quite a frightening number.

Beyond that, I'm not really sure - could be Elite, Frontier or X3 reunion. Or maybe all those 15 minute blasts of Final Fight or Target Renegade would amount to a fair few days if I could add it all up.

Now that I start thinking about the total time i've spent playing these games, it gets a bit depressing really...

StickHead

Post by StickHead » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:53 pm

All this talk of strategy games reminded me of a game that ate more of my life than Morrowind and Oblivion put together: Settlers 2. The most relaxing game ever made. It took me 14 hours of game time to complete one of the maps - and I loved every second.
The Joy of STicks - YouTube - Blog - Twitter - Facebook
New Developments and old inspirations in Atari ST gaming.

Andykiwi

Post by Andykiwi » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:35 pm

Civilization II - maybe over 500 hours
Might & Magic 6 - Mandate of Heaven - maybe over 500 hours
Pharaoh - maybe over 200 hours
Might & Magic 7 - For Blood and Honor - maybe over 100 hours
Tomb Raider and Tomb Raider II - maybe over 100 hours each

I wish I knew exactly how long I spent on them, but I wasn't timing myself. :lol:

lavalyte

Post by lavalyte » Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:33 am

Cadaver (amiga) (Wrote a walkthrough)
Impossible Mission(C64)
Bubble Bobble (c64) (wrote a walkthrough/strategy guide for every level, sent it to ZZap, forgot to take a copy, never saw it again)
Zelda 64 (N64)
Zelda WindWalker (GC)
'I have nothing but the greatest respect for other peoples' crackpot beliefs' - Sam The Eagle.

Roo

Post by Roo » Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:45 am

Animal Crossing (GameCube) (estimated 150hrs since 2004)
F-Zero X (estimated 100hrs since 1998)
Banjo-Kazooie (estimated 100hrs since 1998)
Mario Kart 64 (estimated 80hrs since 1997)
Crazy Taxi (estimated 50hrs since 2000)

Doddsy

Post by Doddsy » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:40 am

If you counted up all the 8player games played on Chaos since 1985 I think this would be the most played game.

My others would be and strangly they are mostly recent games. So this kinda tells you the way modern gaming is going.

Fallout3.
GTA III, IV, San Andreas, Vice City.
Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 counting all add on packs
Oblivion.
Outrun 2
Duke Nukem counting all the add on packs for PC.

SpiffierRabbit

Post by SpiffierRabbit » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:48 am

Just looked at my Ikaruga save! Only 231hrs logged on it!
Star Wars Knight Of The Old Republic - Can play that game over and over.
Super Street Fighter 2 X
Quake 3

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:11 am

Elite, Dungeon Master, Morrowind, Fallout 3, Dawn of War (and expansions).
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

Ridgeracer

Post by Ridgeracer » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:25 am

Hmm, tough to call, but it would prob be like this...

1) WoW
2) Halo 3
3) Super Mario Kart
4) Ridge Racer 6
5) FF7

Sokurah

Post by Sokurah » Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:20 am

Burnout Paradise
Counterstrike
Doom
Quake
Command & Conquer.
Website: Tardis Remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games. All freeware for PC & Mac.
Twitter: Sokurah

Sepp Salerno

Post by Sepp Salerno » Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:50 am

Tetris
Tekken 3 (At about 16 yrs old...it was about all we played, and is still good for a few hours)
Dead Space (I've playd it every which way)
Super Mario Brothers
Grand Thieft Auto IV (I know it's a real souless play, and for me, the actual game is dull, but once you've unlocked the whole city, you can just rock around killing anything that moves after a hard day at the office.....something I have done til my eyeballs burn)

FlyHighKid

Post by FlyHighKid » Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:33 pm

1. Guild Wars (PC) - back when I bothered with Xfire I had it at around the 400h mark, though I did play Guild Wars before I even knew of Xfire so yeah, definately number 1.

2. Pokemon Emerald (GBA) - before I sold it off I remember my save file said it was around 260h.

3. Worms Armageddon (PC/360) - Hours of fun. When I got pissef off at the campaign, I would even play the 2 player mode with myself and never got bored. Overall at least 200 hours wasted.

4. Counter-Strike: Source (PC) - Roughly 100 hours I spent on this game. Though the funny thing is, I spent most of the time playing zombiemod because I was bored of sucking on the deathmatch and gungame servers.

5. Space Invaders (PC/360) Over the years I played so many versions of this I've lost count. Most of them were brilliant indie games, now I wish I remembered the exact names :oops:
Image Image
psj3909 wrote:What next, Scary Movie better than Schindlers List ? What is everyone smoking.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:53 pm

Hard to think of a top 5 tbh.

1: Phantasy Star Online, man did I rack up the hours in this one. Hundreds of hours! back in the day before I had an ISP for the DC it cost me also hundreds of pounds too by paying for Dial up with BT lol, but to me it was money well spent. Never had an online experience quite the same as this.

2: PGR series, between PGR 2 and 4 I have also put in an insane amount of hours. I would say with PGR 2 I've spent well into the hundreds again and even now I'm still not bored with it.

3: Streetfighter 2. I was a lucky kid! lucky to have a mate who imported this game on the SNES from the US just in time for our school summer holidays. What a storming summer that was! We spent a good year playing this game 2 player, superb times.

4: GTA: VC One summer back in the early 2000's I played this game to death. I was determined to get a 100% clear rate, and it became almost an obsession. I was hooked, hours upon hours spent in the game world pissing about and discovering secrets etc. Loved it!

5: Gran Turismo 1/2: Another driving game series I got hooked to. Completed the first game 100% more than once lol, very nearly finished the sequel too. I still continue to play these games thanks to the PSP, GT2 in particular gets a lot of hours from me.