Gaming TV

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Opa-Opa

Re:

Post by Opa-Opa » Sun May 28, 2006 4:27 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Lets also not forget our very own Opa-Opa's Weekend Gamer, Danny's Independent Video Game Specials and Yakumo's Retro Core
Thanks for the vote of confidence ;) best get on and finish the second lol

Madjock

Post by Madjock » Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:28 am

I liked Bad Influence, had some good features, decent enough reviews (kids instead of journalists) and overall a decent program.

I've got the DVD's (someone kindly encoded them) and have put a few on uknova, if anyone's a member there.

kiniki

Post by kiniki » Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:25 am

What was the name of that Sky One show that had people battling 'Gladiators'?

Hosted by Bob something?

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:30 am

If any of you have Sky, tune into channel 193 (Rapture TV) at 7.30pm on a Tuesday for G@mers.

On G@mers they review latest games and consoles and as of recent there has been interviews with developers & some E3 coverage.

Also the lass is fit!

You can also get Cybernet on Rapture TV but I can't remember what time or day!

merman

Re:

Post by merman » Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:15 am

kiniki wrote:What was the name of that Sky One show that had people battling 'Gladiators'?

Hosted by Bob something?
Games World hosted by Bob Mills...
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Antiriad2097

Re:

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:53 am

merman wrote:
kiniki wrote:What was the name of that Sky One show that had people battling 'Gladiators'?

Hosted by Bob something?
Videators, weren't they?

Terrible, terrible show. Brought gaming television to all new lows. So bad I couldn't bear to watch more than the briefest of snippets, despite it being the only game show on prime time telly :(
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

monkey puzzle

Re:

Post by monkey puzzle » Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:04 pm

merman wrote:

Hosted by Bob something?
Was that that program that used to come on in the early nineties staring Jet from gladiators and big boy Barry (whose mate was David Walliams) or am I thinking of something else?

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:05 pm

How about RG doing a feature on homebrew Games TV. I'm sure Opa-Opa and Danny would be happy to answer a few questions about there efforts.

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Sat Jul 15, 2006 4:20 am

I might ;)
Working on E3 now, Had a great idea the other night but making it work might be a bit harder than I thought with my equipment lol

John

Re: Gaming TV

Post by John » Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:51 am

preownedgames.co.uk wrote:Why are TV programmes about gaming so rubbish ?

Do you think it's just really hard to make good gaming TV or are the TV companies just not giving it a chance ?
It's not hard, but the TV network executives (who are mostly ex-Kraft Foods, Proctor & Gamble executives), have no idea about gaming and how to market it.

South Korea has two competing video game TV networks, they actually can get it right.

These execs think that the same creative and marketing tactics that apply to chocolate milk can apply to gaming, which is why a majority of gaming TV is horrid.

Here is my ideal gaming TV network:

1. Daily gaming news with morning/evening satellite news feeds from Tokyo, Seoul, L.A., NYC, London. Add in some professionalism and correspondents who actually know gaming and you might have the industry watching.

2. One to two hour video game documentaries professionally produced from these international outlets. No documentary should ever be put in a 30 minute commercial time slot.

3. Live gaming tournaments broadcasted from these international outlets.

4. Extensive hardware/software review shows. I'll never forget "The Screen Savers" episode where they showed how to hack an Xbox live on the air. RIP TechTV.

5. Saturday morning video game cartoons for the kids.

6. Live panel talk shows that bring in industry guests, and host on-air with viewer calls, emails and instant messages.

7. All on-air personalities must have a habbit of playing video games for more than two hours a week. I'm tired of these hosts and other emacited "sweetie darlings" who looked like they got scraped off an MTV casting couch and are waiting to cash-in daddy's trust fund. :x

Any other gaming TV programming ideas out there?

- John [/b]

Madjock

Post by Madjock » Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:17 am

Some nice ideas in there,

G4TechTV had some good shows, before it went wrong (the TechTV bit getting dropped).

The Screen Savers
Daily evening entertainment, focusing on tech and gaming, get some intresting presenters with real knowledge (I'm sure looking around at various magazine journalists, finding some who can present)

Icons
Focusing on various parts of the industry, great developers, publishers, gaming icons.[/b]

Scapegoat

Post by Scapegoat » Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:29 am

I'm suprised no-one mentioned Thumb Bandits (as I remember it being quite good).

Cornelius

Post by Cornelius » Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:03 am

I used to love Gamesworld when I was small. This was back when my brother sold his NES and we had no console in the house. I loved watching the game footage on that show and wished I could play them... It wouldn't be until 1996 that I was allowed to get a SNES.

I loved Cybernet as well. There was a period when we got it in Irish here. It was great! Not enough Nintendo love though.

Another Irish show was done but it was rubbish. It was just this annoying Dublin kid who appeared once a week and talked about his new football game on the Playstation 2. That was very short lived. I don't even remember the name of it :shock:

There's another show on Sky One called Gamesville. It had some alright things and some awful things about it. Those two presenters are very annoying. The game guru was okish. I liked that one time where he talked about Gradius and Parodius.

There was also Head to Head with Violet Berlin on The Childrens Channel(TCC). I always remember the 2 player starwing game there and how it was impossible to get further than the second level because of a giant Slippy appearing with the words ''Time Up!". There was also an older version of that show which had a guy dressed up as Mario and gave out giant beer coasters (as coins!) to whoever won a round. At the end the guy with the most giant beer coasters was deemed the winner!

Anyone remember when the Italian Game Network used to be good?? Remember ''Retromania'' where Bettina Pieri talked about a retro game in English and then said the same sentence in Italian? Remember the show which had Samba De Amigo competitions? It was a great channel on Sky Digital... Pity the spirit of it is dead now :cry:

Antiriad2097

Re:

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:34 am

Scapegoat wrote:I'm suprised no-one mentioned Thumb Bandits (as I remember it being quite good).
Thumb Bandits was just a watered down Bits.

The Thumb Candy one off documentary was not bad though.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Kenz

Post by Kenz » Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:18 am

I rather liked Bits ... So much so that it made me make THIS:

Ahh, good times. :D
http://www.psytronik.net/ - New games for retro gaming systems!
http://www.binaryzone.org/retrostore/ - Binary Zone Retro Store!
http://psytronik.blogspot.com/ - Psytronik Software Blog now online!