Gaming TV

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

preownedgames.co.uk

Gaming TV

Post by preownedgames.co.uk » Fri May 26, 2006 3:35 pm

Why are TV programmes about gaming so rubbish ?

I ised to love gamesmaster when I was younger, you'd think that somebody would have done something as good in the last 15 years but nope!

That one with the 3 girls (bits ?) was quite good but was on at a stupid time, gamezville on sky is a complete joke and that thing dominik diamond did last year was funny but not didn't have much substance.

Do you think it's just really hard to make good gaming TV or are the TV companies just not giving it a chance ?
Preowned Games - Buy games that other people are bored with.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Fri May 26, 2006 3:37 pm

Was Bits really any good? Just seen that you can get DVDs of series 4 & 5, but don't know if they are worth a tenner each?

necronom

Post by necronom » Fri May 26, 2006 5:14 pm

I really liked Bits. It's probably my favourite gaming show.

Ash

Post by Ash » Fri May 26, 2006 6:07 pm

Bits was crap. Two of the women (Alexs and Emily Newton Dunn) really knew their games but the show itself was cheap, tacky and full of factual errors.

Always preferred Gamesmaster myself.

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Fri May 26, 2006 9:42 pm

Gest gaming shows I can remember off the top of my head

1. Gamesmaster

2. Bits
3. Cybernet

Miles behind - Everyone else.
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

GetDexter

Post by GetDexter » Sat May 27, 2006 1:39 am

I liked Cybernet a lot. Presenters, if they are good, can push a program along nicely but Dominik Diamond never really worked for me on Gamesmaster. Cybernet just had games, games and nothing but games....except for an annoying American voiceover :D
As requested by the Tw@t himself - his account was Hijacked and has had a change of password.

Sorry Dexter!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat May 27, 2006 3:27 am

Nobody going to bring up Consolevania and its BBC spin off Videogaiden?

Best gaming show there's been for years.

If you go back to Gamesmaster now, its not actually very good. I've been watching them and for the most part they're awful.

Bad Influence surpassed it, but its aimed at a very young audience. If you can get over that, its a pretty decent show with some interesting articles.

I've never seen Gamepad, Violet Berlin's latest show :(
Last edited by Antiriad2097 on Sat May 27, 2006 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Sat May 27, 2006 3:29 am

Violets shows have been good over the last few years but are not on a very good channel.

Never heard of Consolevania or Video Gaiden though?

Antiriad2097

Re:

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat May 27, 2006 3:46 am

SirClive wrote:Violets shows have been good over the last few years but are not on a very good channel.

Never heard of Consolevania or Video Gaiden though?
Videogaiden only aired on BBC Scotland. It was possible to stream them from the BBC website too, but I just had a look and t appears to have been pulled. Not sure if the second series will be the same or if it'll go national. There were torrents around at the time...

Consolevania is one of several downloadable gaming shows I watch.

The 1Up show is generally well regarded and I also thoroughly enjoy Player 1 vs Player 2.

Lets also not forget our very own Opa-Opa's Weekend Gamer, Danny's Independent Video Game Specials and Yakumo's Retro Core
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Morkin

Re:

Post by Morkin » Sat May 27, 2006 4:21 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:Nobody going to bring up Consolevania and its BBC spin off Videogaiden?
Consolevania for teh win ! :lol: I've been watching their show since the first episode & everything about it just feels right & appeals to my sense of humour. I also watch the 1up show & it's not too bad either.

The Last Ginja

Post by The Last Ginja » Sat May 27, 2006 5:14 am

I like(d) Gamer.tv on Bravo, quite informative and the reviews were good, but I haven't seen it on the listings for a while so I'm not sure if it's been canned, or just taking a break.

necronom

Re:

Post by necronom » Sat May 27, 2006 5:54 am

GetDexter wrote:I liked Cybernet a lot. Presenters, if they are good, can push a program along nicely but Dominik Diamond never really worked for me on Gamesmaster. Cybernet just had games, games and nothing but games....except for an annoying American voiceover :D
I used to watch Cybernet when Lucy Longhurst presented it. As soon as the annoying American started I never watched it again.

retro mania

Re:

Post by retro mania » Sat May 27, 2006 12:01 pm

The Last Ginja wrote:I like(d) Gamer.tv on Bravo, quite informative and the reviews were good, but I haven't seen it on the listings for a while so I'm not sure if it's been canned, or just taking a break.

I watched it today it was an E3 special it was pretty good with equal wii and ps3 coverage much better than g@mers on rapture tv the E3 coverage was a joke.

Elgin_McQueen

Re:

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Sat May 27, 2006 12:13 pm

necronom wrote:
GetDexter wrote:I liked Cybernet a lot. Presenters, if they are good, can push a program along nicely but Dominik Diamond never really worked for me on Gamesmaster. Cybernet just had games, games and nothing but games....except for an annoying American voiceover :D
I used to watch Cybernet when Lucy Longhurst presented it. As soon as the annoying American started I never watched it again.

I didn;t like the guy, though you could get used to him after a while. You just never knew when the hell the show was gonna be on tv that annoyed me.
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

Frank Chickens

Post by Frank Chickens » Sat May 27, 2006 4:33 pm

4 Computer Buffs
Database
The Computer Show
Micro Live

..so many good ones at the time, sigh.

Since then:

Games Master (S1)
Bad Influence
Consolevania
"A cynic is what an optimist calls a realist"