Best Disney game

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

SexyWayne

Re: Best Disney game

Post by SexyWayne » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:46 pm

i'm gonna go for the snes version of aladdin, way way better than the md version imo

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:00 pm

Rinoa wrote:I'm actually going to vote for something more recent; Kingdom Hearts 1 & 2.
Ho ho, why does this not surprise me? :lol:
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Zetr0

Post by Zetr0 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:04 pm

I was quite taken by Aladin on the Megadrive, it really showed both a great well written game as well as show-off the megadrives capabilites.

More recently however I did get involved with Kingdom Hearts, however it did waine a fair bit after a few hours of play..... okay.. okay.... about 20 hours of play.....

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:24 am

Tough call since I have several favourites - I'd probably go for Aladin (Megadrive) overall as it was excellent back in the day and still looks, sounds and plays great even now.
A couple of my other favourites are Duck Tales (Nes, Gameboy), Toy Story (Megadrive), Castle and Land of Illusion (Megadrive and Gamegear respectively) and Quackshot.

The Kingdom Hearts games look intersting, but I've only played the beginning for the second one. Nothing seems to really happen for the first few hours and I got bored and stopped playing. I know it gets better but talk about a slow starter!
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

David

Post by David » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:58 am

Aladdin (Megadrive)
Duck Tales, Chip n Dale Rescue Rangers (NES)

JennyTablina

Post by JennyTablina » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:13 am

Ooh

16 bit: Mickey and Donald in World of Illusion (MD)

Fantastic little game with some stunning animation and graphics for its time. Still looks lovely to this day. Plus its one of few games (bar maybe Capcom's SonSon) that has a co-op mode that really works for me.

Other notable Disney Games: Aladdin (MD), Donald Duck: Quack Attack/Goin' Quackers (DC, PC and GC), Castle of Illusion (MD)

I'ld love a compilation of the 16 and 8 bit Disney games. I'm sure theres money to be made from a Disney Retro collection: yet I've never seen Disney try to make any money off these older games, shame really : (

Kingdom Hearts is okay: the first game is great but the battles get a bit annoying after a while and the second game takes FOREVER to get past the first chapter. Which in itself is confusing because the first chapter revolves mostly around characters that were not in the first game and some characters that appear in the GBA game Chain of Memories. If your a fan of Squares more recent FF games and Disney character sightings are enough to keep you going then its work a go.

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:40 am

Duck Tales on the Gameboy for me too. I remember skiving in the college library to play it! A joyful game :) World of Illusion on Megadrive a close second for me. Looked lovely and I thought the co-op was great.

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:03 am

I do like the soundtrack for Duck Tales on the NES. Year 200X's cover of the Moon theme is amazing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQmH0NbPCxY

Trixta

Post by Trixta » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:14 am

SexyWayne wrote:i'm gonna go for the snes version of aladdin, way way better than the md version imo
Aladdin on the snes is a capcom game. The megadrive version was made by disney (i think).
psn- jason_trixta
wii u - trixtaa
twitter - @jason_trixta

Grizzly

Post by Grizzly » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:45 am

Trixta wrote:
SexyWayne wrote:i'm gonna go for the snes version of aladdin, way way better than the md version imo
Aladdin on the snes is a capcom game. The megadrive version was made by disney (i think).
it was from virgin interactive, and i prefer the mega drive version.
I write for...
Check us out for news, reviews and features on the blackest of consoles.Image

Holpil

Post by Holpil » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:12 pm

I think both games have their charms, I like the fluidity to the snes version, it plays like a more acrobatic prince of persia but more intuitive & easier to get into, and the chunky sprites are well animated too. Virgin interactives version has some great sprites with loads of detail & frames to them and it plays out like a more traditional sidescroller, plus it's more challenging!

bonerlaw

Post by bonerlaw » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:41 pm

Castle of Illusion, Aladdin and Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2 (if they count!)

thl

Post by thl » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:50 pm

Aladdin (MD/SNES)
Duck Tales (NES/GB)
Castle of Illusion (MD/SMS)
Lucky Dime Caper (SMS)
Magical Quest (SNES)
Quackshot (MD)
World of Illusion (MD)

Pinhead7

Post by Pinhead7 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:32 am

Castle and Land of Illusion. Is that because they are great or just nostalgia?

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:32 am

Mickey Mania (Mega-CD)
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac