If you could only have 1 machine for the rest of your life

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

mile

Re: If you could only have 1 machine for the rest of your life

Post by mile » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:30 am

i would have said the speccy, but i'd prolly be the amiga 500, not just for the games, but for delux paint 4. i could spend ages drawing a mans head exploding.

neuromancer

Post by neuromancer » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:10 am

For me it would have to be the Atari 8-bit; not for the library of games, but for the fact that it's got to be versatile in many ways to justify being the only machine I can have for the rest of my life - for me basically that means a machine I can program as well as play other people's games on.

I certainly spent more time coding on my old 130XE than I ever did playing games - not that I ever managed to finish any of the games I wrote - I was working on a database and an art package for it.

If we're talking pure gaming then I'd plump for an original Xbox (but with a large hard drive conversion).

moominpapa

Post by moominpapa » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:36 am

I too would have to say the PS1 console. It has my favorite RPG's with Final Fantasy's 6,7,8,9 and Tactics. My favorite fighter with Tekken 3. My favorite version of Doom also appears on the PS1 and some great conversions of early pccdrom classics like Wing Commander 3. There are also some great racers like Ridge Racer and Grand tourismo.

The PS1 was the first machine I played that bought arcade graphics into the home and made my jaw drop to the floor.

crusto

Post by crusto » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:18 pm

PC Engine, cos its the best machine ever invented.

Eat your nans pants

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:36 pm

If I could only pick one machine then it would most likely be the Sega Saturn, just for the immense quality that's available out there on import. I can safely say if I only ever owned this console for the rest of my life then I would be a very happy gamer.

The PS3 would actually be a close second at this point, as it would play all my old PS1 games and it's pretty amazing library it already has. If the PS3 has the kind of shelf life I'm thinking it's going to have then it would most likely become my first choice.

Budly Moore

Post by Budly Moore » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:14 pm

Easy, Xbox 360, plenty of retro games, plus modern games, and achievement points would provide long lasting challenges once I perfected/completed them all.

russgalleywood

Post by russgalleywood » Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:24 am

A tough one this as others have said!

I would love to say my old BBC just for Elite but not quite.

Would love my Spectrum, just the sheer range of games available!

But then again the Amiga 1200 gave a great deal of fun at that awkward turning point from 8 to 16/32bit.

Reluctantly I'd probably have to say the 360, just because it also has a good range of game types and to be honest I'd take it just for XBLA games (Sensible Soccer mostly), if only I could sneak the Speccy in too.

Has anyone on here got a big suitcase with a hidden compartment in it? ;)
:)
Russ
'What's a Ftoomch?'