Most underated game of all time?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

RMLF

Most underated game of all time?

Post by RMLF » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:01 pm

Some one in one of the variety of topics said a good way would be to have a list of games to pull the forum together and get people talking retro again.

So what is the most underated game of all time?

Id like to nominate Herzog Zwei (Sega Megadrive) Often overlooked ( i dont hear too many sing its praises other than to mention it was one of the first RTS games and then move on), and not sure it got much critical attention when it was released over here, becuase its a sequel etc. but the game has it all Strategy, battles, great music. its bloody brilliant in two players, lots of units, transformable mecha, tanks, guns action and strategy. What else do you want. for a game thats nearly 20 years old, if not older its great!

So discuss away!
The Artist Formerly Known as Ralph Milne's Left Foot :P

Wheres Gus Ceasar when you need him?... Pah!

Ralph's Trade/Sale Thread http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=22769

crusto

Re: Most underated game of all time?

Post by crusto » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:09 pm

God theres so many you could choose from i really dont think i can.

Motoroader!

Eat your nans pants

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:31 pm

There are probably quite a few. Do you critically slated games(which turn out to be good) or ones which got poor sales, or ones which are just obscure?

Anyway I think one of the most underated games is Dragon's Breath(by Palace software) on the Amiga. A sort of strategy game where you have to build up your own dragon and taking over other people's land.

The first Dune game was a bit underated as well(it did get sort of a negative reaction in some magazines at the time). It was sort of a half strategy/half adventure game. Very different from the second game which sort of kickstarted RTS games.

crusto

Post by crusto » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:33 pm

Mega lo mania??

Eat your nans pants

Tabe

Post by Tabe » Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:54 am

How about Zombies Ate My Neighbors on the SNES?

Tabe

jadehill2001

Post by jadehill2001 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:30 am

Silent Hill Homecoming - There was nothing wrong with it (you CAN live without inverted aiming - IF you try) but the critics still gave it an average of 60-65%. It didn't sell that many either which is a shame because it's one of the best in the series.

Farenheit was also very underated - it was completely different to any game around at that time. It got a little Sc-Fi towards the end but it was still a very good game.

TMR

Post by TMR » Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:38 am

Bloody hell... that's a vast topic! Okay, how about Automata's Deus Ex Machina which was probably one of the most unusual 8-bit games ever or Revenge 2 by Jeff Minter (not the Atari 8-bit version which is a bit rough as conversions go) that seems to pass most shoot 'em up fans by for starters...?

thl

Post by thl » Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:44 am

Superfrog (Amiga)

WildWillyWilson

Post by WildWillyWilson » Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:46 am

jadehill2001 wrote:Silent Hill Homecoming - There was nothing wrong with it (you CAN live without inverted aiming - IF you try) but the critics still gave it an average of 60-65%. It didn't sell that many either which is a shame because it's one of the best in the series.

Farenheit was also very underated - it was completely different to any game around at that time. It got a little Sc-Fi towards the end but it was still a very good game.
Yeah Farenheit was a great game, 2nd half was bizarre though. Nice to see you here Jade (recognise you from PLAY forums).

Doddsy

Post by Doddsy » Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:55 am

Katzkatz wrote:There are probably quite a few. Do you critically slated games(which turn out to be good) or ones which got poor sales, or ones which are just obscure?

I agree the question is too open ended.

Although I'd have to say Super Scramble Simulator and Stryx for Amiga. Both very playable and addictive games.

For the Speccy prob The Great Space Race!

RMLF

Post by RMLF » Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:27 am

Doddsy wrote:
Katzkatz wrote:There are probably quite a few. Do you critically slated games(which turn out to be good) or ones which got poor sales, or ones which are just obscure?

Although I'd have to say Super Scramble Simulator and Stryx for Amiga. Both very playable and addictive games.

Okay, to narrow it down for furture reference, what is your most underrated game of all time?

Criteria is that you must think its underated, you can add or detract sales, reveiws graphics whatecver in making your choice. Ive left it deleiberately open ened so that can maximise responses..... not just pen it in under sales erc, as each person will have a different view.

Super Scramble SImulator.... mm i prefered ATV Simulator and or Super Ski Simulator, probably because of the amount of time spent on them, but thats the whole beauty of this thread. one persons junk is another persons gold, hence the underrated tag.

Carry on :)
The Artist Formerly Known as Ralph Milne's Left Foot :P

Wheres Gus Ceasar when you need him?... Pah!

Ralph's Trade/Sale Thread http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=22769

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:44 am

Problem is that many of us won't have played the games marked poorly in the mags

Not very retro , but King Kong is an amazingly fun game which received very average scores. Doesnt do anything too spectacular , but is fun to play
and the bits were you control Kong are enjoyable and a nice break from the FPS sections

As far as more retro games go , King Of Chicago by Cinemaware for the Amiga is one of my favourites. Whilst most people remember the more famous
ICFTD , Wings and DOTC,King Of Chicago was probably the closest Cinemaware got to an interactive movie ; whilst the action sequences arent the greatest , the storyline and choices made
available to the player make for an interesting game with lots of scope for replay

also Striker (Cult games, and pictured below)for Speccy is one of my favourite 8-bit titles , but hardly anyone else has ever even heard of it...

Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:45 am

Doddsy wrote:

good call with SSS , used to love playing this on C64 - like a serious version of Kik-Start with larger graphics
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

WildWillyWilson

Post by WildWillyWilson » Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:57 am

I always thought "The Darnkess" was a fab game which a great dark atmosphere, got it on the PS3 when it came out and keeping it because I like it so much. Anyone else a fan?

Space_turnip

Post by Space_turnip » Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:09 am

The Darkness is a great game, although it's a pretty standard FPS underneath the atmosphere. I did spend a long time watching the films on a TV set in the underground station though which was class!

My most underated game...I can't name one but there's a few:

Alpine Skiing 2007 on the PS2 and Ski Racing 2006 on the PS2. Brilliant games, really great controls and good fun. But the minority interest it appeals too clearly doesnt help it.
Elite Force 2 - most magazines seemed to give it really low scores but I found it to have a brilliantly written story and some amazing levels
Flatout UC on the 360 got average review scores, but to be honest I thought it was more fun than Burnout. Brilliant game.