Nintendo Wii - under £150 (pissibly)

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Mad Gerald

Nintendo Wii - under £150 (pissibly)

Post by Mad Gerald » Thu May 25, 2006 8:50 am

Nintendo Japan has revealed that Wii ‘will not exceed Y25,000’ – meaning a possible sub-£150 price point when the console arrives in the UK.
A straight Yen to Sterling conversion puts the quoted price at around £120, but the console could see a higher price point in Europe.

The platform holder’s financials also revealed a Wii sales target of eight million by March, and 17 million software units in the same period.

Nintendo’s net profit for the year up to March 2006 rose 12.5 per cent, thanks to strong worldwide DS sales, with a similar increase in net profit to Y98.4bn. The firm also boasted of 16m DS and DS Lite units sold worldwide.

- Source: MCVUK.com

Officially a crap gamer - but one that works for SEGA

revgiblet

Post by revgiblet » Thu May 25, 2006 9:04 am

Well, I'd be very surprised if they just do a straight Yen to Sterling conversion. We normally get shafted when it comes to console prices. I'd reckon that if it stays at is we'll be looking at somewhere between £170-£200 which would still make it the cheapest next gen console on the market.

I'm sure there's a stupid mentality in the UK which says "That games console is half the price of the other one, therefore it must only be half as good".

If the Wii is released at only £120 then even I might be tempted to invest on launch day.
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

preownedgames.co.uk

Post by preownedgames.co.uk » Thu May 25, 2006 9:21 am

If we're having a sweepstake i'm going for £149.99
Preowned Games - Buy games that other people are bored with.

CraigGrannell

Re: Nintendo Wii - under £150 (pissibly)

Post by CraigGrannell » Thu May 25, 2006 9:22 am

Mad Gerald wrote:Nintendo Japan has revealed that Wii ‘will not exceed Y25,000’ – meaning a possible sub-£150 price point when the console arrives in the UK.
Are taxes added to Japanese prices? I know some people have been talking about $249, which would probably end up as £179 in the UK, once you take into account VAT and currency cushioning. Personally, I reckon they should aim for £149 and make the console an impulse buy.
revgiblet wrote:I'm sure there's a stupid mentality in the UK which says "That games console is half the price of the other one, therefore it must only be half as good".
There's also the mentality that games machines shouldn't just play games. I remember a terribly depressing incident in GAME where two blokes bullied their teenage friend out of buying an NDS, because it was a "toy" (said potential purchaser said "but the games look great—I used to love Super Mario Kart"), and suggested he should get a PSP, because it's cool and because (and I quote) "you can play DVDs on it". It's pretty shocking listening to GAME staff selling PSPs to potential customers in the local branches, too. They've never once mentioned the games.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Mad Gerald

Post by Mad Gerald » Thu May 25, 2006 9:26 am

CraigGrannell wrote: Are taxes added to Japanese prices? I know some people have been talking about $249, which would probably end up as £179 in the UK, once you take into account VAT and currency cushioning. Personally, I reckon they should aim for £149 and make the console an impulse buy.
I have no effing idea matey LOL - I just copied it from the MCV site. £179 does sound more possible - £149 Chrimbo 2007??

£179 is still a good price. Perhaps £179 with a demo disc of Wiimote control mini games.

preownedgames.co.uk

Post by preownedgames.co.uk » Thu May 25, 2006 9:26 am

CraigGrannell wrote:
revgiblet wrote:I'm sure there's a stupid mentality in the UK which says "That games console is half the price of the other one, therefore it must only be half as good".
There's also the mentality that games machines shouldn't just play games.

And that polygon counts make good games!
Preowned Games - Buy games that other people are bored with.

Mad Gerald

Post by Mad Gerald » Thu May 25, 2006 9:33 am

preownedgames.co.uk wrote: And that polygon counts make good games!
I think that only applies to gamer geeks.. I bet if you ask General Public and Major Ity they'd have no idea WTF you were talking about.

All they care about is - How many games are on the shelves. The more games for a console, the better the console*

*See Sony

retro mania

Post by retro mania » Thu May 25, 2006 11:37 am

I'll be getting a wii on launch day just because its so different. Then I'll either get a 360 or a hd tele.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu May 25, 2006 12:12 pm

I reckon the Rev will come in at around £200 no matter how much I'd like it to be sub £150.

Have you ever known a console company not to rip off early adopters here?
Last edited by Antiriad2097 on Thu May 25, 2006 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

C4

Post by C4 » Thu May 25, 2006 2:08 pm

CraigGrannell wrote:Are taxes added to Japanese prices?
Yes, but only since 2004.

I'm hoping Wii will launch in the UK at £130, the same price as the GameCube had for its UK release.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Thu May 25, 2006 3:35 pm

Generally (and it's true with both 360 and PS3), the UK price is a third more than the US price.

$250 (the "will not exceed" price for the US) is almost exactly £175 under that conversion. The Japanese one comes to £150 if you add 33%.
Have you ever known a console company not to rip off early adopters here?
Ninty with the cube? That said, the DS-Lite has the biggest markup of any current machine at 47% above US.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

mel the bell

Post by mel the bell » Thu May 25, 2006 4:14 pm

im a late adopter anyway :P
i always wait for console prices to drop :)

by the way, nice typo in the title...........both wii and PISSably :P
On 2003-12-08 20:15, cyborg wrote:
You're all corporate bitches if you buy a console - face it. Unless it's a Phantom - in that case you're just stupid - because even if it did exist it'd be crap

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Thu May 25, 2006 4:14 pm

It'll almost certainly be £199.99

still cheap for next-gen gaming
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Lindopski

Post by Lindopski » Thu May 25, 2006 4:45 pm

£120 notes and ill have one
Retro when it wasnt cool

Antiriad2097

Re:

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu May 25, 2006 5:21 pm

mel the bell wrote:im a late adopter anyway :P
i always wait for console prices to drop :)
Me too, but if the UK prices weren't OTT in the first place I might not...
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.