Burnout series - favourite installment POLL

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

What is your favourite installment of the Burnout series of racers?

Burnout
6%
Burnout 2: Point of Impact
25%
Burnout 3: Takedown
39%
Burnout 4: Revenge
16%
Burnout Legends
No votes
Burnout Dominator
No votes
Burnout Paradise
14%

Total votes: 69

neuromancer

Burnout series - favourite installment POLL

Post by neuromancer » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:54 pm

I've finally obtained Burnout 2 for the Xbox and have been having a blast with this, after an admittedly shaky start as my first encounter with the Burnout series was the superlative Burnout 3. Having put many hours into B2 (although nowhere near as many as I've poured into B3) I'm no longer able to say which title I prefer - the more traditional racing focus of the earlier title, or the mayhem of the third incarnation.

I can say that I haven't really got to grips with the fourth revision - perhaps it's the grittier washed-out sun-bleached graphics, but more likely it's due to the bizarre snooker-with-cars gameplay.

I haven't had a chance to play the original version, or any of the later ones in the series, so I'm wondering which version everyone feels is the best (in whatever way you want to read that - most fun, most adrenaline-pumping, greatest graphics even...)

Some graphical reminders of the titles:

Burnout

Burnout 2: Point of Impact

Burnout 3: Takedown

Burnout 4: Revenge

Burnout Legends

Burnout Dominator

Burnout Paradise

Last edited by neuromancer on Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

SirClive

Re: Burnout series - favourite installment POLL

Post by SirClive » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:58 pm

Paradise comes close, but Burnout 3 is one of those games that I cannot praise enough. It is at least in my second string of best games ever and definately pushing for a first team place.

neuromancer

Post by neuromancer » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:02 pm

SirClive wrote:Paradise comes close, but Burnout 3 is one of those games that I cannot praise enough. It is at least in my second string of best games ever and definately pushing for a first team place.
Funnily enough SirClive it was seeing your encounter with the MX5 cab Ridge Racer in the WG Search for the Great British Arcade which reminded me that I'd forgotten to continue my hunt for Burnout 2 on the Xbox.

The first few races in B2 seemed tame and a bit stale after the excesses of Burnout 3, which I absolutely love, but after unlocking the Oval Racer (the main car from from Daytona in all but name) the game really has come alive for me - you should've seen the grin on my face whilst I was drifting around the mountain roads of Crystal Peak last night :D

Rinoa

Post by Rinoa » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:04 pm

Burnout Paradise is by far my favourite! After clocking up over 80 hours of play, it's still loads of fun. From single player to online, I've never enjoyed a racing game as much as this.

station

Post by station » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:06 pm

As it went through the series, it got more bloated. Burnout Paradise was buying into the whole 'achievement' thing getting rewards etc. I think that game's for reward/achievement point whores as I can't really see much of a game in it, although pulling off a huge series of stunts is extremely satisfying.
I played the first two with my missus on the PS2 and we had a good laugh for a few hours, but Revenge was the best game out of the lot. :)

If you like these games, try 'Flat Out 2/Ultimate' on the XBox/360, it's a superb crash/smash/race game.

killbot

Post by killbot » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:13 pm

Burnout 2 for me. I know 3 is the one that gets the accolades, but myself and my friends were actually disappointed with it. Paradise? I played it for about ten minutes before getting bored.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:14 pm

station wrote:As it went through the series, it got more bloated. Burnout Paradise was buying into the whole 'achievement' thing getting rewards etc. I think that game's for reward/achievement point whores as I can't really see much of a game in it, although pulling off a huge series of stunts is extremely satisfying.
I completely disagree. I can get loads of fun in BOP just driving round the island at high speed on my own. It is true sandbox driving.

Rinoa

Post by Rinoa » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:19 pm

killbot wrote:Paradise? I played it for about ten minutes before getting bored.
When I first played Burnout Paradise I wasn't keen either. It took me a while to get used to the whole open-world system, especially as my favourite before that was Burnout Revenge. I'd give Paradise more than 10mins. Something "clicked" for me after a while and I loved it from there on.

xcalibur

Post by xcalibur » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:21 pm

burnout3 wins it for me but legends on the psp comes a close second its got to be the best looking racing game on psp.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:22 pm

Paradise is a fantastic game. I really don't go for the races that often - just drive like a loon as fast as poss!
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

beanz

Post by beanz » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:33 pm

Burnout revenge for me.

Can't stand Burnout Paradise....I play/played the hell out of Revenge and paradise feels like a step backwards.

sscott

Post by sscott » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:59 pm

Takedown on XBOX then Paradise on PS3. Both awesome games!

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:56 pm

It's Revenge for me - the only current generation (ish) game I've got a whole 100% completion of!
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Space_turnip

Post by Space_turnip » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:03 pm

Paradise had me enthralled for a long time - but after a good few dozen hours it's appeal has gone some what, although i would still say it is a masterful piece of programming and a gorgeous game.

Dominator and legends (on the PSP) are awesome, however there's something not quite right about them. Controls don't seem quite responsive enough.

Burnout and Burnout 2 were great - but it's hard to go back to them now.

Revenge was great; but it was just an update.

Which leaves Takedown. One of the best games ever, imo, and a game I can quite happily play for long stretches even now. The graphics, the speed of them especially, still leave me in awe.

The Angry Jock

Post by The Angry Jock » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:08 pm

Paradise is the only one I've really played, put about 20 minutes in on the first one. Paradise is a hard game to get into but if you stick with it you get rewarded, I've easily put in 200hours+, the online experience is amazing.
Retropassion reborn
sscott wrote:I fuck1n love the fuck1n Internet and all its fuckin fu(kball opinions. I fuck1n like this fuk(her, I don't fuccckin like this fuckeeer. It's not out yet, that isn't gonna gonna stop me! No sir! and so onnnnnnnnnn........