LOST SAVES

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

SexyWayne

Re: LOST SAVES

Post by SexyWayne » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:35 pm

ShadowMan wrote:Equally as bad was playing the 24 game for the PS2, which has a nasty glitch which will make it impossible to finish the game which crops up roughly 2/3 of the way through the game.
i'm playing 24 atm, what's the glitch you mention?? anyway to avoid it??

killbot

Post by killbot » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:19 pm

I once lost a 20 hour Lord Of The Rings: The Third Age save (the card also had a Tiger Woods save on it that I'd put a similar amount of time into). Now I keep two memory cards in my Gamecube and every time I finish playing a game the first thing I do is copy the save file to slot B, so I always have a backup.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:04 pm

Worst I've lost was 17 hours of Jet Force Gemini on the N64, whilst I was looking for the last few Tribals. The game just froze on me, I had to reset and upon powering it back up I found that all 4 of my save files had been wiped. :x

The title screen was still the new one you get (with the team wearing the armour and jetpacks) after you confront Mizar for the first time though :x

I was really enjoying that game as well, one of Rare's finest, but I've never had the motivation to play it again since.
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:29 am

SexyWayne wrote:
ShadowMan wrote:Equally as bad was playing the 24 game for the PS2, which has a nasty glitch which will make it impossible to finish the game which crops up roughly 2/3 of the way through the game.
i'm playing 24 atm, what's the glitch you mention?? anyway to avoid it??
Its this one (copied from IGN):

"Bug/Glitch: When you get to 4:28 pm and the mission ahead has Chase shooting from the water tower. Chase then goes into the building to shoot the men inside except there are no men. There is only one guy.

Fix/Solution: You have to do this level on the first try. When you start the mission take a few steps out and then manually save. Then go to the Water Tower and snipe all those guys. When you go back down to the door to answer the door, don't go in. Manually save your game again and when it's done PULL OUT YOUR MEMORY CARD then unpause your game. There should be dozens of guys in the room this time. If you get killed or fail the mission then put your memory card back in and load it again from there on you should bypass this glitch. In short:

1. Playstation is turned off
2. With game disc and memory card in place, turn on Playstation
3. Load the game (it should be at 4:28). If its not, more about that later
4. The cutscene with Jack and Tony begins
5. Remove the memory card
6. The following message will appear: "Warning, memory card removed . . . Use save game option to manually save progress & re-enable autosave?"
7. Press X for 'OK'
8. Re-insert memory card
9. Watch the cut scene
10. "Previously on 24" dialog box appears. Press X
11. Play the game as usual. If done properly, many men will enter the building during gameplay
12. Save when you have completed the mission.

If your memory card is at 4:41 . . .
Go to 'restart mission' and do a save during the cutscene. You will overwrite 4:41, and be back at 4:28"
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

kebabage

Post by kebabage » Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:10 am

This one isnt related as such, but on an early Tomb Raider game I got quite far and fell off a cliff - I happened to save game instead of loading :lol:
Everytime I loaded the game, lara would fall to her death!
Giant Hairy Cabbages!

James A

Post by James A » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:12 am

Similar to the one above ive had Call Of Duty 2 autosave on the level when you have to snipe the mortars from the tower just as i was being blown up by one. Every time you booted the save up you died straight away.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:23 am

Accidentally deleting my FF8 save file which had around 50-60 hours playtime recorded. I had many FF8 files on the same card so I just chose the wrong one to delete in a moment of tragedy.

Other than that, it has to be falling victim to the Soul Calibur 3 corruption glitch which I didn't find out about until after it had ruined my Chronicles of the Sword data. Luckily, the rest of the game data (unlocked characters, custom creations etc.) were still there but with my CotS data ruined, I couldn't get to the end and unlock all the best custom parts.

I tend to back up completed PS2 saves on official memory cards and have any current data that I'm using on a third party card. A bit extreme and geeky perhaps but it's more secure than filling up a 16MB card and having it all disappear.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Confessor

Post by Confessor » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:30 am

I just discovered that my DukeNukem 3d on pS1 save blocks have misteriously disappeared. I've been playing it for weeks with no problems, saving and loading the game. Last night I was amazed to see after the Load option "Empty/Empty/Empty". Checkin' the memory card without the game I've seen a blank space covering just the six blocks needed to save. I really don't know why it happened but I'm a bit angry as I was about to finish the first episode and don't wanna start anew... :twisted:

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:31 am

i noticed,if you did use 3rd party memory cards on the ps1,some of your game saves would dissappear

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:20 pm

Fred83 wrote:i noticed,if you did use 3rd party memory cards on the ps1,some of your game saves would dissappear
Cheap flash memory? Kinda worrying since I don't have any official PS1 cards. Need to get some...
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:24 pm

Used to happen to me all time.Thought was a fault in the game or just bad luck.Then when i used my official sony one.The game saves worked fine.Have to stress though this is a 1 in million chance of happening,it didn't happen with all the games.
Last edited by Fred83 on Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:29 pm

Still, I don't like the idea of relying on GAMEware memory cards - I already had a brand new PS1 card from there that never worked when it was fresh out of the box!

Titan

Post by Titan » Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:36 pm

I recently misplaced my Gamecube memory card, so that's a lot of data gone :(
If its in the house somewhere I have no idea where, have looked everywhere...

Was right in the middle of playing through Wind Waker as well <_<

SMASH BROS FRIEND CODE: 1075-2488-1508

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:13 pm

30 hrs.Xcom:Terror from the deep.Psone.Game save would ALL to often Corrupt data or game would just lock up.Ohh,Bugger! :cry:

Now?here i am,2 generation`s of Playstations later....Having exactly the same issues with Fallout 3,Bioshock,Oblivion.Progress eh? :lol:

gman72

Post by gman72 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:59 pm

Commander Jameson wrote:Lost 60 hours of Final Fantasy 7 when my PS1 Memory Card died.

Lost 120 hours of Battlefield 2, still not entirely sure how. Never went back to it, bought Battlefield 2142 instead which I've now racked up 240 hours on.
120 hours!!!! Bless my pants, Jameson. That deffo makes you the biggest loser.
Yeah, Lost Saves. A really crap part of modern gaming.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD