I'll go with a PSP - which version?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

MediaCult

I'll go with a PSP - which version?

Post by MediaCult » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:39 am

I think I'll choose the PSP as the new handheld to buy.

I've read somewhere that some versions can't be hacked because of update (>2.0) firmware - is that true?

Also: Which version of the PSP should I get? Is the old one a bad choice now (since it goes for a fair price sometimes at auctions)?

And: Could someone provide reliable links to hack the machine for a beginner? (to make it able to emulate etc.).

Or: Wait a minute - have they stopped making games for the PSP? Newest games I can see are from 2008.
MobyGames profile: http://www.mobygames.com/user/sheet/userSheetId,131075/
PSN/Microsoft/Wii U/STEAM nickname: MediaCult (feel free to add me).

Romulous

Re: I'll go with a PSP - which version?

Post by Romulous » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:36 am

MediaCult wrote:I think I'll choose the PSP as the new handheld to buy.

I've read somewhere that some versions can't be hacked because of update (>2.0) firmware - is that true?

Yes and No, depending on the firmware installed, some firmware versions used to require a special copy of Lumines or grand theft auto to enable you to downgrade, almost all firmwares can be downgraded with the aid of a Pandora battery.

Also: Which version of the PSP should I get? Is the old one a bad choice now (since it goes for a fair price sometimes at auctions)?

I think it's really down to personal choice, i have an original 1.5 phat US PSP other than the weight difference i see no reason to go for a slimline PSP - but then again i dont own one, maybe this answer is better reserved to someone that actually does

And: Could someone provide reliable links to hack the machine for a beginner? (to make it able to emulate etc.).

Honestly, google is your friend, failing that PM me.

Or: Wait a minute - have they stopped making games for the PSP? Newest games I can see are from 2008.
There are plenty of new games out this year already, perhaps you are looking in the wrong places.
Failure isn't about falling down, failure is staying down.

Romulous

James A

Post by James A » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:04 am

The original PSP that ive got the D pad on its really poor and almost unplayable and tbh the joysticks not up to much on it either. Haven't tried the newer ones yet but somewhere down the road ill be getting a newer one.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:05 am

Get a PSP 2000 without question! Best D-Pad by far, much better screen, great battery life and you can run CFW on it.

Scooby1970

Post by Scooby1970 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:49 am

As above poster, PSP2000 is an excellent version of the machine, everything about it is perfect. No microphone but if you need it for Skype they are cheap enough to buy. Screen is excellent on 2000, and battery life and d-pad are excellent also.

:) Mark

MediaCult

Post by MediaCult » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:36 am

It's only needed for gaming. Is this the same as PSP lite or? Damn, this version thing is getting me confused. Also, this is preferable to the PSP3000?

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:46 am

Yes the PSP 2000 is the slim and lite version. Don't get a 3000.

MediaCult

Post by MediaCult » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:18 pm

James A wrote:The original PSP that ive got the D pad on its really poor and almost unplayable and tbh the joysticks not up to much on it either. Haven't tried the newer ones yet but somewhere down the road ill be getting a newer one.
I have an offer from someone selling the orig. I asked him about the pad and he said he couldn't really see what I meant as he thought it was fine. What is exactly wrong with it? I saw someone in here critisize the PS2 pad when using emulation for other consoles so perhaps it's an expert matter or?

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:26 pm

The original dpad is ok as long as you don't need consistent diagonals. For basic 4 way movement its alright. Mine is an original and I'm happy enough with it. Its not perfect, but then few controllers are. Pick any pad/system and you can pick flaws in it.

Still, given the choice, I'd go for a 2000 now for the TV out at least, the originals don't have that. Probably never use it, buts its nice to have the option. I'd avoid the new models as the screen is really messed up.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:36 pm

The Slim and Lite I have is highly recommended. I've not had any problems with it - and if you're into retro just go to a few good ebay stores and get all the imported compilations. (NB: Avoid Bubble Bobble Evolution - horrible, horrible psp remake)

Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:48 pm

MediaCult wrote: And: Could someone provide reliable links to hack the machine for a beginner? (to make it able to emulate etc.).
PSPiso.com is a forum dedicated to that sort of thing.
For all your mad retro gaming needs, regular content on a daily basis!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Lorfarius

WildWillyWilson

Post by WildWillyWilson » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:10 pm

PSP 2 rumoured to be coming out this christmas, supposed unveiling at E3 in June.

No UMD (digital downloads), twin analogue sticks and touch screen.

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/PSP/Play ... sp?c=12612

Maybe worth hanging on? At least till E3 to see if its announced....

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:20 am

WildWillyWilson wrote:PSP 2 rumoured to be coming out this christmas, supposed unveiling at E3 in June.

No UMD (digital downloads), twin analogue sticks and touch screen.

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/PSP/Play ... sp?c=12612

Maybe worth hanging on? At least till E3 to see if its announced....
You think so? wait 8 months for a machine that will be at least twice the price with very little software choice?

I say pick up a PSP now! they are great value and there's a lot of cool games being released this year. I'm currently hooked on Gran Turismo 2 and Metal Gear Solid, does handheld gaming really get any better than that I ask? :)

I guess you will be wanting to play a lot of retro on it so I would skip the original PSP as it's going to be a constant battle with the pad, but with the 2000 model it's really loose and responsive.

I actually think it was me who leveled a complaint at using the PS2 pads for emulation, I personally don't rate them and there are much better D-pads out there (Sega Saturn Mk 2 for instance ;) which is incidentally a perfect pad), the PSP 2000's pad is however the finest D-pad Sony have ever made, much better than their home console efforts.

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:06 am

I have so many great games for mine, almost all picked up for less than a fiver.

The trouble is, now that I've completed God of War I CAN'T STOP playing Football Manager & none of the other games are getting a look in.

Honestly, I've got Wrexham up to the Championship, it's taken up weeks of my life.

I'm dying to play Outrun, Twisted Metal, Lumines, Ghosts & Goblins, Lego Batman & a load of retro compilations but they're all gathering dust on the shelf because of this stupid addictive game that is no more than playing a spreadsheet.

Phew, glad I've got that off my chest.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

JennyTablina

Post by JennyTablina » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:01 am

Go for PSP 2000, try to avoid the 3000 if possible as it has an AWFUL interlaced screen

The 2000 initally wasnt hackable but I think it is now but I'm not entirely sure. Though;

[soapbox]I would say at least try to buy some games for the system. The PSP is a great system but ultimately is failing because Sony doesnt push it enough and the vast majority of users tend to just hack their PSP and download games (this is the reason why PSP2 is going for a closed download store solution)[/soapbox]

Other than that: it's a good system, be sure to check out the following;

Loco Roco 1 and 2
Patapon 1 and 2
Lemmings
Megaman Powered Up (well I liked it at least : < )