Mame recommendations?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

joefish

Re: Mame recommendations?

Post by joefish » Fri May 30, 2014 6:55 am

GigaWing and Progear are but a few of the shooters described as 'bullet-hell' that I can get along with. Mainly because they have mechanisms by which you can clean up the bullets. GigaWing has its shield system, and Progear has the way when you destroy an enemy, it's shots turn into collectibles.

By the way, despite the odd name (and even more dubiously named girl gunners), you have to see Progear for the absolutely gorgeous Miyazaki-inspired landscapes and whacky tanks, trains, boats and flying contraptions.

The Psikyo shooters (Gunbird, Tengai, Samurai Spirits) also have a nice touch where the smart bomb destroys all shots on-screen. They're about the most 'bullet-hell' I can cope with, but I still go through a lot of credits playing them on MAME. I'd never get very far if I was actually putting money in, like I can with something like R-Type. Although there I consistently get to the middle of Stage 4 and get wiped out...

themightymartin

Post by themightymartin » Fri May 30, 2014 7:44 am

Ninja Baseball Bat Man. It's quite possibly the most batshit insane scrolling fighter ever! The Nerd sums it up pretty well.
Xbox Live\Steam: themightymartin
3DS Friend Code: 5000-3656-8384
Zazzle Store: YonDer Designs

Misery

Post by Misery » Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:45 am

joefish wrote:GigaWing and Progear are but a few of the shooters described as 'bullet-hell' that I can get along with. Mainly because they have mechanisms by which you can clean up the bullets. GigaWing has its shield system, and Progear has the way when you destroy an enemy, it's shots turn into collectibles.

By the way, despite the odd name (and even more dubiously named girl gunners), you have to see Progear for the absolutely gorgeous Miyazaki-inspired landscapes and whacky tanks, trains, boats and flying contraptions.

The Psikyo shooters (Gunbird, Tengai, Samurai Spirits) also have a nice touch where the smart bomb destroys all shots on-screen. They're about the most 'bullet-hell' I can cope with, but I still go through a lot of credits playing them on MAME. I'd never get very far if I was actually putting money in, like I can with something like R-Type. Although there I consistently get to the middle of Stage 4 and get wiped out...

Gigawing I think is a superb starting point for the whole bullet-hell subgenre overall. It's a pretty easy game, to be honest. Yet it's very satisfying. A normal 1cc isnt too hard to do in it.

However, COMPLETELY finishing it is a bit tougher, as that requires reaching level 7 (normally 6, with the giant boss, is the final one) and defeating the boss there. You have to fulfill certain conditions to unlock this stage (no continuing, no deaths, and something else, I forget what). That's a pretty common concept in bullet-hell games (nearly all of Cave's games do this, having some "true" endboss that is nigh-impossible to even reach and can never be fought if you've used continues at all).

Giga Wing is the one I started with, and I was freaking terrible when I first got into it. Nowadays though, the level 7 victory would be pretty easy.

If you like bullet-cancelling, there's plenty of other good games out there too, as that's a common thing in bullet-hell shmups, usually as a scoring mechanic. Smartbombs almost always clear the entire screen in these games, at least in all of the ones I play.

And now some of my own favorites from Mame. This list gets added to frequently whenever I take time to sift through the massive rom archive on this machine, trying new ones at random. Many are very obscure, some not so.

BurgerTime
Cosmic Chasm
Devil Fish
Moon Patrol
Jungler
Juno First (one of my top favorites)
Guzzler
Roc 'n Rope
Zoo Keeper
Major Havoc
Kangaroo
Mario Bros.
Route16
Pulsar
Space Duel
Space Dungeon
Star Castle
Dorodon

Mentski

Post by Mentski » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:30 am

themightymartin wrote:Ninja Baseball Bat Man. It's quite possibly the most batshit insane scrolling fighter ever! The Nerd sums it up pretty well.
I'd totally forgotten that game... I'm so making a video about that.
A beard with an idiot hanging off it, Writes about videogames when the apathy isn't kicking in.
http://www.rosetintedgamers.com - http://www.youtube.com/mentski

demon

Post by demon » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:48 am

I could easily recommend more than a hundred MAME games... let's see if I can restrain myself a bit :D

CLASSICS:
(these are my favourite oldies that never tire me, they are actually quite challenging to last longer than a few minutes)

- Donkey Kong
- Pac-Man > you'll enjoy this more after you read about the ghosts' movement patterns
- Burgertime

SHOOT'EM UPS:

- Gun Smoke > my favourite because of the unusual theme and shooting controls (if only it would support 2 simultaneous players, then it would be perfect!)
- Asteroids
- Terra Cresta
- Halley Comet

2-PLAYERS:

- Bubble Bobble
- Mario Bros.
- Pang
- Marble Madness

PLATFORMS:

- Elevator Action
- Psychic 5
- Shinobi
- Ninja Kid I & II
- Rainbow Islands

OTHERS:

- Circus Charlie
- Flicky

uchet

Post by uchet » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:29 am

I lost a couple of hours of my life last night on one game on MAME - randomly picked a game called Pang Pang (see it at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-haS5bwToM). Korean arcade game that initially seemed similar to Bubble Bobble but was way more addictive (so played through to the end).

I don't know if it was in the original arcade game but at the end of each level (after the boss fight) you get a digitised nudie woman (which was quite unexpected!).

The end is cool too - you get to fight all the bosses in sequence again.

It's not a particularly hard game (although takes a lot of continues to get through) but was totally fun to play through.

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:46 pm

Bomb Jack is my usual go to game but in recent months I've really gotten into Donkey Kong.

ArcadeMYK

Post by ArcadeMYK » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:55 am

for me with my keyboard I always seem to lean towards:

1945kIII
19XX: The War Agianst Destiny
Tengai Sengoku Blade
In The Hunt
Donkey Kong
Centipede & Quantum (havent got a track ball yet but play these at my mates place on his one)
Raiden II
Strikers 1945 II
Bombjack
Burgertime (if playing 2 player with the wife)
When I finally get around to getting a 4-way Arcade Stick for MAME I'll be putting bulk hours into Pacman & Galaga
From Game&Watch to PS2 and Arcade in between, its been so much fun every single step of the way.

VideoGame Addict since 1989