Best Looking Console

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

AmigaJay

Best Looking Console

Post by AmigaJay » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:16 pm

Not sure if this has been put forward before in any detail, but I was going through some pictures of older consoles and thought wow, these old machines look great compared to the naff looking machines of the Xbox/PS3 and possibly the wii.
I have to say the combo format of the Megadrive and Mega-CD1 is indeed very nice, its the futuristic look of the Japanese Sega Mark 3 (basically an earlier revision of the Master System)that caught my eye, check this baby out, this is a stunning piece of hardware and gets my vote!

C=Style

Re: Best Looking Console

Post by C=Style » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:20 pm

Out of all the consoles I;'ve owned I'd say the Dreamcast was probably my favourite, it was small, had a really cool design, nice curves ;) lol. I'd say the PS3 is actually a superb looking machine too! I didn't used to like it but now I think it looks very classy with the piano black finish. The Japanese Megadrive was an awesome looking machine too.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:23 pm

Can't say there are too many consoles that have impressed me with their looks - that Sega machine above looks ghastly!

The Speccy 48k (rubber key variety) however is a thing of beauty.....
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:33 pm

thaught the CD32 was a cool looking machine,shame it wasnt powerful underneath

Space_turnip

Post by Space_turnip » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:36 pm

Who's with me?

Ahem.
I second the Dreamcast. Wonderful looking box of...er...dreams.

BennyTheGreek

Post by BennyTheGreek » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:38 pm

I love the styling of the gamecube - especially my res evil 4 version......

krusty40

Post by krusty40 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:38 pm

The original playstation. Grey box that changed the world. People gasped in its presence. You dont get that with other consoles.
Some advertising campaigns are very long indeed...

slightly delayed

Post by slightly delayed » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:41 pm

C=Style wrote:I'd say the PS3 is actually a superb looking machine too! I didn't used to like it but now I think it looks very classy with the piano black finish.
hmm the ps3 looks like a brevil , i may be going out on a limb here but the gamecube is a pretty sexy beast, a lot prettier than the ps2 or xbox,

famicom69

Post by famicom69 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:43 pm

Famicom.

I love the look of the original. Red/gold pads that slotted neatly on the side of the console itself. Beautiful.

necronom

Post by necronom » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:46 pm

PS3, followed by the PS2. The PS1 looked a bit crap, but still better than a lot of the others at the time.

I've never thought consoles looked particularly good. Stick a keyboard on them and they look much better :)
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

AmigaJay

Post by AmigaJay » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:00 pm

In reply to others;
Jap Megadrive 1 - was very nice, alot better than the euro and us versions (as the norm!)
Dreamcast - yeah nice and small, good design
Speccy 48K - well it was small and compact, it may have looked ok, but the rubber done nothing for me!
CD32 - as much as i loved mine, it was poorly designed, trying to be a hybrid looker of a megadrive and god knows what else! i liked the look of the rumoured picture before it came out better!
MD2 combo - yeah doesnt look too bad, though the MD1 combo is still better!
Gamecube - it was an extra off Terrahawks for gawds sake! the only half decent one was the panasonic (gold or silver i think it was that played dvds)
Original PS1 - people gasped at its power not the look of the machine! it was grey, flat and ahem pretty uninspiring tbh!
PS3 - George and foreman nuff said!
Original Famicom - A lot N's stuff it looked very tomy plastic stylee to me!

I do like the Panasonic 3DO model which is nice, also the white pc engine and cd-rom add on combo is very 'cute' oh and the white saturn looks alot better than the dull black model we got in the west.

WildWillyWilson

Post by WildWillyWilson » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:11 pm

My Japanese Megadrive- the best looking console there was/is, I had a UK version as a kid and it looked crap compared to this. The large 16-Bit sign & dark red and blue colouring just looks the business:

Though I do like my PS3 as well tbh.

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:07 pm

If you can vote for machine with addons, then I'd say the Colecovision with an ADAM :-)

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:11 pm

WildWillyWilson wrote:My Japanese Megadrive- the best looking console there was/is, I had a UK version as a kid and it looked crap compared to this. The large 16-Bit sign & dark red and blue colouring just looks the business:
Oooh yes! I remember when that 16-bit sign was something to be proud of. It was a total beast of a machine, fond memories of playing Super Monaco GP on import and being blown away. MD had real attitude, It made the SNES look like a girls machine let's be honest. :P

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:13 pm

I'm with Space Turnip!

Although I'd also put forward:
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.