How often do you play multiplayer games?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

krusty40

Re: How often do you play multiplayer games?

Post by krusty40 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:54 am

Its a shame that the traditional multiplayer fun has been gradually replaced with online gaming. Seems as people get busier and have less time for games, they want the time they do play games to be quick and instant with no multiplayer connections :(

However there are still great titles that offer endless fun with two people and they dont necessarily mean you have to only have half the screen-games like Virtua Tennis and Hogs of War (great laugh) give players the full screen.

And not to mention the recently released Sega collections- playing Streets of Rage again with a mate can still be great fun-lets keep the tradition alive. :D
Some advertising campaigns are very long indeed...

Commander Jameson

Post by Commander Jameson » Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:17 am

Opa-Opa wrote:Never really..
I can't stand sharing a screen or playing a cut down version of a game..
DooM/Ridge Racer/C+C etc on 2 playstations with link leads is a fantastic night of fun but theres no way I'm spoiling my gaming by having half/quarter of a screen...

Things like Fifa or a good 1 on 1 fighter I enjoy though..
I used to think that too, Goldeneye on a 24" 4:3 telly is a headache.

But it occurred to me only recently, that on my telly, on Mariokart Wii Multiplayer, each player gets the equivalent of their own 21" 16:9 screen (42" telly) - not too shabby!

MC1

Post by MC1 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:24 am

I used to enjoy the multi-player expeience as a kid.

But nowadays, if it wasnt for online gaming, I would hardly ever play multi/co-op games at all.

I just dont have the time to organise friends round all the time for such shenanigans.

station

Post by station » Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:45 am

I play Battlefield 2 nearly every day.
Online gaming should work, but it doesn't, thanks to pre-teen American boys. There should be three different sets of online gaming rules set by LAW:

under 16,
16 - 25,
25 and over.

Sick of playing with smart arse keyboard warrior pricks.

MC1

Post by MC1 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:51 am

station wrote:I play Battlefield 2 nearly every day.
Online gaming should work, but it doesn't, thanks to pre-teen American boys. There should be three different sets of online gaming rules set by LAW:

under 16,
16 - 25,
25 and over.

Sick of playing with smart arse keyboard warrior pricks.
I only play with people on my friends list if possible.

Last time I didnt was on Pro Evo 6 just a couple of weeks ago. I had never tried it online so had a quick 5 minute match with a stranger. He picked Brazil instantly, and as I didnt even know what buttons did what, I thought I would pick some $hite team for the crack (I knew I'd get hammered anyway).

But to my credit after leaking 3 quick goals, I got the hang of it and frustrated this chappie for the rest of the game. I actually did ok and didnt just quit the game (I never do that). I then get a message from this mong saying 'TOO EASY'. At that point, I was wishing cleft palettes on his grandkids. Thats assuming he is even old enough to juice up in the first place. He may even be a jaffa so couldnt in due course have grandkids. Never mind.

Rinoa

Post by Rinoa » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:16 am

I've had some really fantastic online gaming sessions (Little Big Planet & Unreal Tournament 2003 being my faves), but it doesn't beat a multiplayer with people you know over at a mate's house. It's a huge laugh and I really miss not doing it anymore. Mates, beer, pizza and pretty much most multiplayer games is the perfect recipee for a night in :D

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:23 am

It's definitely more fun playing certain games with a mate in the same room than people online.

For a while when I was younger, me and a mate used to go to each other's houses every week and watch WWF and WCW (now WWE) on Sky, then sit playing the games for ages trying to recreate the best matches. Great fun. :)

Nowadays whenever I try to play Smackdown or Legends Of Wrestlemania online, I end up playing against some loudmouthed kid who's created a character with beefed up stats and keeps spamming the same moves over and over again....just not fun at all :(
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:38 pm

Not as often as I used to. Remember playing multiplayer quite a bit in the 16 bit days. Me, my brother and I would all play on the Amiga(taking it in turns as we didn't have a parallel port adapter for the 4 player games), but we used to love Gauntlet II, Lotus Esprit I and II, Chaos Engine, SWIV, Z-Out, and Lemmings(which you needed to mice for, which was something you would not have thought of before).

We did like the serial link games as well requiring two Amigas and a serial cable. Lotus II was good on it, but Populous II and Knights of the Sky were great on it. We loved Populous II on it, that was a favourite and I used to play with two other old schoolfriends on it!

Nowadays the only time I do multiplayer is with C & C:Generals which I used to do internet games with a few friends and in skirmish modes. RTS games are the only multiplayer I seemed to do for a while, loved Starcraft, but I loved the single player mode in it as well.

Do remember do a few LAN parrties playing Doom I and II, and Duke Nukem.

krusty40

Post by krusty40 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:43 pm

It does seem the launch of the online gaming started to wipe out multiplayer games. People wanted to play with strangers (where they had the safety of the screen to hide behind as they shouted obscenities ha), they no longer wanted competitive multiplayer rounds with their mates.

But a games night is still well worth it for anyone wanting to keep the tradition alive- few drinks, some snacks and a stack of titles like hogs of war, quake 2, tennis games, bishi bashi special etc. Its all you need!

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:32 pm

Plus playing on one machine with two or more controllers isn't as popular as it once was.

.. R m 8 8

Post by .. R m 8 8 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:39 pm

I play with my friends 60% of the time, mostly because we try to be competitive Brawl players >_<

krusty40

Post by krusty40 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:35 pm

Katzkatz wrote:Plus playing on one machine with two or more controllers isn't as popular as it once was.
Yeah its a shame. Bring back the 90s and competitive micro machines matches with friends, i say.

Type2XS

Post by Type2XS » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:28 am

I play mainly online but then only with people I know. It's often too damn annoying with all the flaming, noise and plain idiocy on Xbox Live or PSN, even on the PC.
Left 4 Dead for example is just plain awesome in versus-mode. The problem is: The community is so damn shitty. You have to be very lucky to join a server, with no jerks on it. The constant flaming and kick-voting just isn't fun. So every Sunday, eight mates come together to get some nice Matches on.
Playing with friends is just better for your hear :D

Kinda miss the Street Fighter matches with a mate in the same room though :(

David

Post by David » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:33 am

Never. And not for about 10 years I guess.

The last game I remember playing in multiplayer was the awesome WCWvsNWO Revenge.

man, what a game that was.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:42 am

Very rarely; I'm more of a solo gamer which is why the 360/PS3 and their large focus on online gaming is very off-putting, especially when the games in question are shallow in single player. I've tried playing Brawl online with the Wii but the frequent lag, freezing and people disconnecting themselves when they're losing kills the experience.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.