How often do you play multiplayer games?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

krusty40

How often do you play multiplayer games?

Post by krusty40 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:24 pm

There are some fantastic multiplayer games out there but how many of you get a few mates together and hook up some extra controllers for an all out fragfest or party game-fest or whatever youre into?

I dont mean online games, im talking about playing against people in the same room. Maybe you have a games night every few weeks?

I always try to get a few of the lads together every once in a while, get some snacks and get stuck into 4 player virtua tennis or crash bash. Endless fun :D
Some advertising campaigns are very long indeed...

woody.cool

Re: How often do you play multiplayer games?

Post by woody.cool » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:25 pm

I have games nights every now and again with mates.
I did this when I got SF4 for the 360.
We had SF4, 360, Pizza & beer.

Rinoa

Post by Rinoa » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:32 pm

Despite me and the fella both being massively into games we don't play that many two player games together. And we don't really know many people round here so never have anyone over to play either :(

When I was living back with my parents though, I used to have gaming nights with my mates practically on a daily basis. And if we couldn't meet up, we'd hook up on LAN.

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:35 pm

I forgot to mention, when I lived up in Blackpool, a mate of mine had a computer shop.
In the evenings, we'd have LAN parties in the shop.

BobGeorge

Post by BobGeorge » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:13 pm

Not very often now :( Occasional game of Bust a Move with the missus, or a bit of Wii bowling with the kids.
My 8 year old is getting pretty good at games, so we link up on the DS and play a few Wii games together sometimes.
It's not the same though as having Match Day 2 tournaments and leagues on the speccy, 4 player Bomberman on the SNES, or marathon 'winner stops on' Street Fighter 2 and Samurai Showdown sessions.

Now a days it takes 4 months just to organise a night out to see all my old mates again. :roll:

I keep mentioning a retro gaming weekend though...

[edit] Almost forgot. Ran a business with some friends after I left school. We didn't do very well though. Not once we'd learned how to put a PC network together and started playing LAN games. LOL. We didn't do any work!

krusty40

Post by krusty40 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:24 pm

ya it can be a great laugh to have a few mates around and play the night away...can get very competitive as well.
Some advertising campaigns are very long indeed...

Urbanator

Post by Urbanator » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:44 pm

Unfortunately not a lot anymore. When i was about 18 i used to tke my ps1 round my mates flat and we'd play tekken 2+ 3 until the early hours. There was 3 of us that knew most moves so it was quite competitive and a great laugh. Worms was another game we used play a lot.

killbot

Post by killbot » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:49 pm

I recently played through TimeSplitters 2 in co-op with my housemate, and we have the odd game of FIFA. I've been playing quite a lot of Mario Kart with the missus as well (Double Dash!!, DS and Wii).

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

Budly Moore

Post by Budly Moore » Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:23 pm

Pro Evo, Gears 2, and any others everytime I go over my mates house, but I have to take my 360 over which is heavy as f**k, with a bag of beer on the other shoulder and trip past a park, a pub and up a dark alley, I dont get over as much as I'd like.
My missus dont play, only Wii and I sold that, my kids too young.

thl

Post by thl » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:05 pm

Use to do it several years ago (normally with my brothers) and I still had fond memories of five-player Dyna Blaster for the Amiga. It progressed when I played Super Bomberman 2 for the SNES thanks to the multiplayer tap. It got better when GoldenEye 007 arrived for the N64 and I been hooked to the multiplayer deathmatch ever since.

Last year I played bit of Virtua Striker 2 and Virtua Tennis 2 on the Dreamcast with my younger brother. Nowadays with the arrival of next-gen consoles, I have to settle with two-player Exhibition mode on Pro Evolution Soccer 2009 and Versus Battle on Street Fighter IV.

BennyTheGreek

Post by BennyTheGreek » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:45 pm

The great old days of playing in the same room as someone else...from doom on 2 ps1s, Sensi soccer, Match day on the speccy with some truly bizarre keyboard layouts so you didnt touch each others hands :oops: , Tekken, more sensi soccer, adventure games on the speccy where one of you would be scribbling the map and the other typing, right up to tonight playing sf4 with my son and kicking his superior gaming skills into touch by smashing his young head in with, what can only be described as, a cacophony of censored slaps

Oh I just loved it when he complained that he was using a wired 360 controller and not his regular wireless one....

Great fun.

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:14 pm

Never really played them much.....i'm so lonely :wink:
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:31 am

My friends rarly come round anymore so I dont have the chance to

Things will change when I have bloted togeter my arcade cab

Commander Jameson

Post by Commander Jameson » Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:14 am

Every week, wednesday night, since 1996. At least 3-4 of us regular, ever since Wipeout really.

Highlights include -

4 player Wipeout 2097 on 2 tellys
Glodeneye
Micro Machines v3
MarioKart 64
Doom
Super Puzzle Fighter turbo
Everybody's Golf.
Various LAN nights - Unreal Tourny and Counterstrike mainly.
Currently giving Wii MarioKart some hammer, co-op Resident Evil on the Wii, and PGR3 on the 360 online.

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:11 am

Never really..
I can't stand sharing a screen or playing a cut down version of a game..
DooM/Ridge Racer/C+C etc on 2 playstations with link leads is a fantastic night of fun but theres no way I'm spoiling my gaming by having half/quarter of a screen...

Things like Fifa or a good 1 on 1 fighter I enjoy though..