Loading Wii Channels from an SD card :)

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

ToxieDogg

Loading Wii Channels from an SD card :)

Post by ToxieDogg » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:19 pm

Finally....just went to have a quick look on the Wii Shop Channel, and it said that it required me to perform an system update, which I did.

They've now added SD card support! :D Finally! :D

Basically, you can now run channels and Virtual Console games directly off your SD card without them clogging up your Wii's limited memory space. :)

However, you have to have as many spare blocks free on your Wii as the channel originally took up in order to run it, as it temporarily uses the Wii's memory whilst it's active. Which shouldn't be a problem as you can pretty much just lump every channel/VC game you've got on the SD card and still run them now. Hurrah!

Also, it looks like MAME ROMs have now been added to the VC....hopefully a few obscure classic arcade games may turn up this way.....
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

JetSetWilly

Re: Loading Wii Channels from an SD card :)

Post by JetSetWilly » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:28 pm

About bloody time. I wondered when this might happen. Does that mea we can run homebrew without modding or hacking, then?
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

Romulous

Post by Romulous » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:02 am

I would'nt imagine so, there will be some form of digital signature for the VC games being loaded, tickets verified etc.

Give it a week and there will be a workaround with a softmod to load from SD Card.

My friend actually has a lot of VC games that he has purchased online and was pissed to hear that he could only hold so many on the WII internal memory [he's not too savvy bout these things] since then he has never purchased another.
Failure isn't about falling down, failure is staying down.

Romulous

Slick2097

Post by Slick2097 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:26 am

SDHC support is welcome .. although I hardly use my Wii anyway.

Ste.
--
Born from an egg on a mountain top.
RetroPassion - Why not :) ?

3DS FC: 4914 - 4863 - 2799

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:17 am

I think a lot of people are that way now (hardly using the Wii now that the novelty of Wii Sports has worn off) but Ive been on mine a fair bit more recently thanks to House Of The Dead Overkill, MadWorld, Castlevania Judgment and somebody giving me a copy of de Blob (which is great). My Wii memory's been clogged up for ages thanks to games like Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Eledees takng up over 100 blocks with game saves, and a couple of downloaded games like World Of Goo taking up over 300 blocks apiece, so this is really welcome for me and I'm sure it'll help other people out.

Quite interesting the way it works....as I say, you need to have anough free blocks on your Wii to run whatever game/channel you're trying (which, if you move everything onto the SD card you will do) and it seems to create a temporary 'SD Card' save file on the Wii itself taking up the same amount of blocks as the last game/channel played...then whenever you use a different one it automatically overwrites the temporary SD card save with a new one.

At any rate, it makes all those empty channel slots on the Wii itself pretty much redundant now.

Rinoa

Post by Rinoa » Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:06 pm

At long last! At least now I won't have to keep deleting games/channels to make room for new ones.

BobGeorge

Post by BobGeorge » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:03 pm

It's about time. I've had a play this afternoon. It takes a short while to transfer the game to the internal memory before running (I imagine an SDHC will speed this up), but it's worth it.
Game saves still have to run from internal memory, but that's hardly a problem if you offload all the games onto SD card.

Good update.

BennyTheGreek

Post by BennyTheGreek » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:31 pm

Anyone know if the Wii will take more than a 2gb card as their (useless) support page says it will only accept sd cards up to 2gb

I was going to buy a nice big 8gb card tomorrow but might just wait now...

Will a 2gb card do?? How many mg does the average virtu console game `measure`

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:21 pm

They now say the Wii can handle up to 32GB SD cards. Whether you'll need to use one that big is another matter; the 2GB card I have allows for over 10k blocks...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:36 pm

If you are using the Homebrew channel, you can get progs that let you run from CD's instead of Cards..........
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

sscott

Post by sscott » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:42 pm

Hurrah! About time Though I haven't yet used all my Wii memory yet so not a pressing concern.

TheDude18

Post by TheDude18 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:58 am

Great timing as I've just run out of space. Ok it's no hard drive but it's far better than deleting/re-downloading your VC/wiiware games due to lack of space. I hope they will lift the file size limit as some games would realy benefit. Onslaught for one.

Also we have arcade games on the VC! Finally. Now if only Nintendo sorted out a chat system............

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:50 am

Being able to run VC/Wii Ware games via SD Card is long overdue, I'm really interested to see which arcade games they can get on the VC though what with so many never getting a home port this could be something very special indeed.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:10 am

Well on the arcade games front, the only things they've got at the moment is a couple of things like Namco's Mappy and Tecmo's Starforce, which have already been on retro compilations before...but they're in the cheaper '500' points catagory so far. At that price, there's a few games that I wouldn't mind paying for and downloading even though I've already got them on MAME.

BobGeorge

Post by BobGeorge » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:48 am

ToxieDogg wrote:Well on the arcade games front, the only things they've got at the moment is a couple of things like Namco's Mappy and Tecmo's Starforce, which have already been on retro compilations before...but they're in the cheaper '500' points catagory so far. At that price, there's a few games that I wouldn't mind paying for and downloading even though I've already got them on MAME.
Initial releases aren't great, but Namco is promising Rolling Thunder, Splatterhouse, Xevious and Galaga '88 (although I've already got Galaga 90 on the VC) amongst others, so the future isn't looking too bad at all. Just need some other developers to jump in now.