The Worse Game In The World EVER.....Round 1 Heat H

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Round 1, Heat H

Poll ended at Wed May 24, 2006 7:19 am

Complete Onside Soccer (PS1)
7
24%
Fifa Football (Various)
9
31%
Barneys Hide And Seek (?)
5
17%
The Master (Spectrum)
1
3%
Breakthrough (Amstrad)
3
10%
Superbowl (Spectrum)
2
7%
Overlander (Amiga)
0
No votes
Dinky Digger (Spectrum)
1
3%
Holy Magic Century (N64)
1
3%
Subwar Vigalinte (C64)
0
No votes
 
Total votes: 29

HalcyonDaze
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:40 pm

Post by HalcyonDaze » Mon May 22, 2006 3:15 pm

Fifa because overall there have been more bad:

Fifa 64
01 on PS2
96/97 on PS1
etc. etc.

oh hang on they're all censored.

including the New World Cup game on the 360.
Correct,

Garbage, the lot of em !!

preownedgames.co.uk
Posts: 432
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:15 am

Re:

Post by preownedgames.co.uk » Mon May 22, 2006 5:01 pm

The Universal wrote:Sensi is and always was for the Amiga boys, and is only a classic because it is old

*laughs
Preowned Games - Buy games that other people are bored with.

User avatar
Get_in_Gear
Posts: 155
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:36 am
Location: England, Oop North

Post by Get_in_Gear » Mon May 22, 2006 5:46 pm

I've only ever played Superbowl and one of the FIFAs from that list.
I can't even remember how crap they were, so I don't think I'm really qualified to vote on this one...
R Tape loading error, 0:1

[+[_]::]

psj3809
Posts: 19009
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:28 am

Post by psj3809 » Tue May 23, 2006 3:28 am

Superbowl for me. I love american footy and when this was advertised i saved up my pocket money and pre ordered it. The game was delayed for months and finally when i get it the games bugged as anything. Total waste of money, must have cost them a lot with that license as well

User avatar
roberthazelby
Posts: 677
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:39 pm
Location: Bristol, United Kingdom
Contact:

Post by roberthazelby » Tue May 23, 2006 3:49 am

*laughs* Fantastic! You put Postern's "Dinky Digger" in there. I can continue to show my distaste for the stinky pile of poo.

You've made my day!

Submerge
Posts: 174
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 6:25 am
Location: London
Contact:

Post by Submerge » Tue May 23, 2006 4:12 am

Im in the FIFA camp purely cos it got me through three years of mindnumbing business studies boredom at uni, never got into pro evo, and dont have a 'new' console to start now.

From what i hear the new Sensi isnt up to much, I do wonder if people are passing judgement too early though, it has an awful lot to live up to. The very fact that in the clips I saw there were the 'London Reds' turns me off the game, nowt worse than games that cant get the official names license.
'Let his name be praised' - Lo Ray, Body Blows.

User avatar
Lindopski
Posts: 404
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:46 am

Post by Lindopski » Tue May 23, 2006 4:15 am

I am not a football fan so the outlook was bleak for the sports games at the start but after some deliberation , I admit that I dont like fifs , or iSS pro evo for that matter. However I did used to love Senisible Soccer on the amiga and International Superstar Soccer on the Snes.
Maybe I just like the retro graphics more, fifa though never caught my eye much even then , remember that horrendous effort that came out on the PC trying to look good but played terrible , which one was that fifa 97 or something maybe - crap
Retro when it wasnt cool

User avatar
pottyboy
Posts: 1767
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:03 pm
Contact:

Re:

Post by pottyboy » Tue May 23, 2006 9:33 am

Maybe I just like the retro graphics more, fifa though never caught my eye much even then , remember that horrendous effort that came out on the PC trying to look good but played terrible , which one was that fifa 97 or something maybe - crap
Could well have been FIFA 97 'cause that was crap on PS1. Thankfully, FIFA RTWC 98 was a HUGE improvement and played a fun game of footy. Me and my brother spent hours playing that one, thinking of silly names for our players and the like!
Image

"And I've got a little TIP for you. Get the POINT?" - Guybrush Threepwood

User avatar
merman
Posts: 6527
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:14 pm
Location: Skegness, UK
Contact:

Re:

Post by merman » Tue May 23, 2006 10:45 am

Submerge wrote:Im in the FIFA camp purely cos it got me through three years of mindnumbing business studies boredom at uni, never got into pro evo, and dont have a 'new' console to start now.

From what i hear the new Sensi isnt up to much, I do wonder if people are passing judgement too early though, it has an awful lot to live up to. The very fact that in the clips I saw there were the 'London Reds' turns me off the game, nowt worse than games that cant get the official names license.
THE. NAMES. OF. THE. PLAYERS. AND. TEAMS. DO. NOT. MATTER.

It's how the bl**dy game plays, not what they are called. Plus it's not meant to be an accurate simulation of real football, it's supposed to be fun.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

The Universal
Posts: 330
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:25 pm
Location: Cornwall

Re:

Post by The Universal » Tue May 23, 2006 11:11 am

merman wrote:
Submerge wrote:Im in the FIFA camp purely cos it got me through three years of mindnumbing business studies boredom at uni, never got into pro evo, and dont have a 'new' console to start now.

From what i hear the new Sensi isnt up to much, I do wonder if people are passing judgement too early though, it has an awful lot to live up to. The very fact that in the clips I saw there were the 'London Reds' turns me off the game, nowt worse than games that cant get the official names license.
THE. NAMES. OF. THE. PLAYERS. AND. TEAMS. DO. NOT. MATTER.

It's how the bl**dy game plays, not what they are called. Plus it's not meant to be an accurate simulation of real football, it's supposed to be fun.
Cant agree with that, I dont know why but the names do matter especially when playing with friends, adds something to it when real rivalries spill into the game. We had a world cup warm up party in 98, lasted all day and night, about thirty people came, the background to the party was everyone that was there played in the tournament, but you had to play as the team you supported, a very happy memory, and one reason i will always remember it was my friend Nick a Southmpton fan since he could walk, making a huge fuss because he didnt want to play them in the game. Point is even none gamers could relate to Fifa because it had reallife roots and simple game mechanics, if it was sensi only a few hardcore gamers would have played and fewer would have enjoyed it.

Conversely if the names didnt matter im sure the pro evo boys wouldnt have put the name edit system into recent releases ;)
Just where is Mickey T?

psj3809
Posts: 19009
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:28 am

Post by psj3809 » Tue May 23, 2006 11:16 am

Cant really agree, to me most people who will buy a FIFA World Cup game or Sensi Soccer type game want real life club names and player names as theyre on the whole big football fans. Football Manager would have been pretty bad if all the team names were made up and so were the players.

Yes its how the game plays at the end of the day, Match Day II featured pretend team names but just like fans of arcade games want perfect arcade conversions when they buy a compilation its the same for football fans wanting proper team names/players if they buy a footy game.

Championship Manager style games wouldnt be as popular if all the names were made up and you cant manage your favourite team or buy your favourite players etc

User avatar
Antiriad2097
Posts: 26962
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:48 pm
Location: http://s11.zetaboards.com/RetroLeague/
Contact:

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue May 23, 2006 11:31 am

I'm at a distinct advantage then, as I can't tell the real names from the made up ones.

I still don't think any of the FIFAs, Sensis etc should be in here, as none of them are as bad as real football :twisted:
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

User avatar
Robbo
Posts: 511
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:06 pm
Location: Thetford, Norfolk, UK.

Post by Robbo » Tue May 23, 2006 11:31 am

I too would rather play using proper names as opposed to players like Dave Beckingham because team names and player names are important to me. SWOS '96/97 was where football games peaked. I don't dislike the other games but SWOS was so in-depth and varied that I can't see it being surpassed anytime soon...

Sorry Merman, but then we are all entitled to our own opinions. :wink:

User avatar
The Last Ginja
Posts: 2005
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:29 pm
Location: Currently Adventuring in Norwich

Re:

Post by The Last Ginja » Tue May 23, 2006 11:37 am

psj3809 wrote:Cant really agree, to me most people who will buy a FIFA World Cup game or Sensi Soccer type game want real life club names and player names as theyre on the whole big football fans. Football Manager would have been pretty bad if all the team names were made up and so were the players.

Yes its how the game plays at the end of the day, Match Day II featured pretend team names but just like fans of arcade games want perfect arcade conversions when they buy a compilation its the same for football fans wanting proper team names/players if they buy a footy game.Championship Manager style games wouldnt be as popular if all the names were made up and you cant manage your favourite team or buy your favourite players etc
Not true, I'm a huge football fan(well I support Charlton so that is debateable/discuss) but I prefer Pro Evo, even though the aforementioned team are known as South East London Reds. The game just "feels" like football, with deft touches, through balls that split the defence, and so on.

Unlike Fifa where you can run the goalie out with the ball, carve your way through the opposing team and score a Gerrard like screamer.

User avatar
revgiblet
Posts: 2247
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:46 am
Location: Canowindra, NSW

Re:

Post by revgiblet » Tue May 23, 2006 11:39 am

Robbo wrote:I too would rather play using proper names as opposed to players like Dave Beckingham because team names and player names are important to me. SWOS '96/97 was where football games peaked. I don't dislike the other games but SWOS was so in-depth and varied that I can't see it being surpassed anytime soon...

Sorry Merman, but then we are all entitled to our own opinions. :wink:
Well, 'David Beckingham' is surely better than just calling him a random name like "Fred Norris" as they did in International Superstar Soccer Pro on the PS1. Mind you, that was still my football game of choice on the PS1

I have bought FIFA a couple of times so that I can play as my beloved QPR, but I've never kept it for long. I still prefer Pro Evo.
Last edited by revgiblet on Tue May 23, 2006 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests