Post Your Interesting Gaming Facts

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Tepid Snake

Re: Post Your Interesting Gaming Facts

Post by Tepid Snake » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:17 pm

revgiblet wrote:If you snap a PS1 CD in half, the game will no longer play correctly.
Nonsense, just stick it back together with some gaffa tape, it'll be fine :)
Updated 11/05/11 - P.O.W. - Prisoners of War
Image RetroCollect - PAL Rarity Guides, News, Reviews & Community

Space_turnip

Post by Space_turnip » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:00 pm

Interesting fact: Chris Sawyer's games for Micropose sometimes contain my home towns (i say towns as technically the two towns of yate and chipping sodbury are just one big mass of houses).

I told this to my co-workers, adding 'I think he came from Sodbury' I found out this was wrong, but the wikipedia entry for Chipping Sodbury now has him as a famous resident. yay, I created an urban legend of sorts :P

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:22 pm

revgiblet wrote:If you snap a PS1 CD in half, the game will no longer play correctly.
At this stage in a PS1's life. You won't even notice the difference.
Join the Retroleague, dip in and out or compete to be the best, everyone welcome! https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/retroleague/

stvd

Post by stvd » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:02 am

This "interesting" fact has an equally "interesting" back story.
One of my fav arcade games from years gone by is Crush Roller.
Over the last year while running MAME on my PSP I was annoyed that none
of the Crush Roller rom sets worked on my PSP.
Anyway I was watching the movie "Chasing Ghosts" last week and noticed
the arcade machine Making Trax, (IIRC Walter Day is/was the World Record holder).
Having never seen this game I fired up my PSP and lo-and-behold it was there.
Starting it up, it was in fact Crush Roller!!!!!!!!!!!!

So my fact is, the american name for Crush Roller is Making Trax!

ZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :oops:

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:16 am

Tepid Snake wrote:If you put the Mega-CD game Tomcat Alley into a normal CD player, you'll hear a bizarre track with the words 'gay monkeys' repeated over and over again.
Ground Zero Texas did something similar.

You would hear this:-

(phone rings)
Man: Good afternoon, Digital Pictures.
Alien: hrrrrr raaarrrr hrrr sssshaarrr
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

David

Post by David » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:29 am

Rise of The Robots done something similar

You put the disc in a regular CD player and loads of voices started shouting "HAHAHAHA!! LOOOOOOOOSER!!!"

Actually, that was just everyone who found out I had paid £59.99 for it :?

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:36 am

1. Awesome arcade racer Burnout is an anagram of Outrun B - strangely coincidental or named on purpose? The dev team were apparently massive fans of Outrun and the game is in some respects a modern version (remember this was prior to Outrun 2 existing)

2. Shoot a gravestone over and over again enough times in Ghosts and Goblins and a wizard appears and turns you into a frog.

3. The dying sound effects when you kill a bad guy in the original Golden Axe are sampled from Rambo. (the bit where a guy gets his foot spiked by one of Rambo's traps - arghhhh god!!!!)

4. Get to the sixth loop of Salamander and the power ups start shooting at you :)

liveinabin

Post by liveinabin » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:01 pm

The first recorded death whilst playing a videogame was a 19 year old who died of a heart attack whilst playing Berzerk. Bizarrely, the Berzerk based teen mortality didn't end there, as later that year an 18 year old also died of a heart attack whilst playing the same game.

Bad enough to croak whilst in a public arcade, but worse to die playing the only game that actually laughed at you.

krusty40

Post by krusty40 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:21 pm

liveinabin wrote:The first recorded death whilst playing a videogame was a 19 year old who died of a heart attack whilst playing Berzerk. Bizarrely, the Berzerk based teen mortality didn't end there, as later that year an 18 year old also died of a heart attack whilst playing the same game.

Bad enough to croak whilst in a public arcade, but worse to die playing the only game that actually laughed at you.
not the last one sadly. there was that guy who played the addictive online game everquest for 27 hrs in a row he had a seizure and died.
Some advertising campaigns are very long indeed...

The Angry Jock

Post by The Angry Jock » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:31 pm

krusty40 wrote:
liveinabin wrote:The first recorded death whilst playing a videogame was a 19 year old who died of a heart attack whilst playing Berzerk. Bizarrely, the Berzerk based teen mortality didn't end there, as later that year an 18 year old also died of a heart attack whilst playing the same game.

not the last one sadly. there was that guy who played the addictive online game everquest for 27 hrs in a row he had a seizure and died.
Here we go again, yours is a fact but it's not the right fact:

From Wiki ref "Death of a videogamer";
"Berzerk was the first video game known to have been involved in the death of a player. In January 1981, 19-year-old Jeff Dailey died of a heart attack soon after posting a score of 16,660 on Berzerk.[6] In October of the following year, Peter Burkowski made the Berzerk top-ten list twice in fifteen minutes, just a few seconds before also dying of a heart attack at the age of 18"

EDIT: just read that again, not clear if you meant last fact is wrong, or not last person to die...bit vague.
Retropassion reborn
sscott wrote:I fuck1n love the fuck1n Internet and all its fuckin fu(kball opinions. I fuck1n like this fuk(her, I don't fuccckin like this fuckeeer. It's not out yet, that isn't gonna gonna stop me! No sir! and so onnnnnnnnnn........

Smurph

Post by Smurph » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:40 pm

Frank Chickens wrote:The best Phoenix game on the Speccy, Pheenix, was written across the road from me.
Why did Frank Chickens cross the road?

To get to the awesome Speccy game!
Antiriad2097 wrote:There is no in or out, just a constant state of retro gamer.
Nowloading.co.uk My Retrobate Profile

krusty40

Post by krusty40 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:56 pm

The Angry Jock wrote: not the last one sadly. there was that guy who played the addictive online game everquest for 27 hrs in a row he had a seizure and died.
Here we go again, yours is a fact but it's not the right fact:

EDIT: just read that again, not clear if you meant last fact is wrong, or not last person to die...bit vague.[/quote]

read posts a bit clearer. my point was it sadly wasnt the last person to die as there was a case of a guy in america who died from too much online rpg game everquest. he played so long his brain shocked out. tragic when you think of it.

The Angry Jock

Post by The Angry Jock » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:59 pm

Sort out the quotes, not it reallyt doesn't make sense :lol:
Retropassion reborn
sscott wrote:I fuck1n love the fuck1n Internet and all its fuckin fu(kball opinions. I fuck1n like this fuk(her, I don't fuccckin like this fuckeeer. It's not out yet, that isn't gonna gonna stop me! No sir! and so onnnnnnnnnn........

Space_turnip

Post by Space_turnip » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:02 pm

Can we not start this again eh chaps?

The Fortean times has ran several stories of Chinese/Korean gamers playing for excessive amounts of time and dropping dead. Korea especially seems prone to excess when it comes to it's gamers habits.

I managed 30 hours on Civ2 once...don't know what the fuss is about...

krusty40

Post by krusty40 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:05 pm

The Angry Jock wrote:Sort out the quotes, not it reallyt doesn't make sense :lol: