The Emulation Megathread

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

stvd

Re: The Emulation Megathread

Post by stvd » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:14 pm

I'm not sure about the latest version but every version of Stella I've tried before couldn't play Pifall II.
I think z26 should be in there for the Atari 2600 emulator.

StickHead

Post by StickHead » Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:26 am

I think you should add Lameboy(DS) under the GameBoy heading - one of the two best emulators on the system.
The Joy of STicks - YouTube - Blog - Twitter - Facebook
New Developments and old inspirations in Atari ST gaming.

MediaCult

Post by MediaCult » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:29 am

Any info on pad compitability is saluted from me. I found out Project 64 has a problem with a PS2 pad.
MobyGames profile: http://www.mobygames.com/user/sheet/userSheetId,131075/
PSN/Microsoft/Wii U/STEAM nickname: MediaCult (feel free to add me).

bonerlaw

Post by bonerlaw » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:21 am

Anyone any knowledge of a decent emulator for the Acorn Electron??

And of course, I wouldnt ask where I could get any rom images, as that would be very naughty......... :wink:

MikeHaggar

Post by MikeHaggar » Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:40 pm

MediaCult wrote:Any info on pad compitability is saluted from me. I found out Project 64 has a problem with a PS2 pad.
Try using N-Rage's controller plugin:
http://members.chello.at/n-rage/dinput8/downloads.html

craigritchie

Post by craigritchie » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:38 am

Thanks for all the replies, guys. I'll get cracking on updating the OP when my work is done.

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:26 pm

bonerlaw wrote:Anyone any knowledge of a decent emulator for the Acorn Electron??

And of course, I wouldnt ask where I could get any rom images, as that would be very naughty......... :wink:
Acorn Electron Emulator (DOS & Windows - seperate versions)
Elkulator - http://elkulator.acornelectron.co.uk/

StickHead

Post by StickHead » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:33 pm

bonerlaw wrote:Anyone any knowledge of a decent emulator for the Acorn Electron??

Elkulator and ElectrEm seem to be the best.
The Joy of STicks - YouTube - Blog - Twitter - Facebook
New Developments and old inspirations in Atari ST gaming.

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:41 pm

StickHead wrote:

Elkulator and ElectrEm seem to be the best.
Not tried ElectrEm, I'll have to give that one a shot at some point.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:43 pm

where are teh roms?

I am SO kidding :D

retromax

Post by retromax » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:37 pm

I have a pc setup just for emulation, the one pictured is Gens which i've used for ages for the Genesis/Megadrive, i get good results in the full screen mode outputting to the 28" tv I use for the pc, to be honest you can't really tell a difference if the actual console is plugged in to the tv. I use two megadrive controllers too for the Megadrive emulation interfaced to one of four parallel ports i've installed, the other ports have a nes controller, a atari 2600 controller for Stella or sainT (which can be swapped for a cometition pro or quickshot joystick if i'm emulating the c64, Amstrad or Speccy), I also have one of those usb competition pro remakes too (though I tend to plug the original into the adapter). I also have a PS2 Guncon2 gun working on the pc that's great for Duck Hunt on the Nes emulator.

My Son playing Sonic on Gens on the tv.

As you cansee in the picture there's Also a psone pluged in for Time Crisis and Area51 etc, There is a psone emulator on the pc too (ePSXe) that works fine and looks good on the tv too.
Hi I'm Retromax you may remember me from such songs as "Hantarex Two Five Zero" and "Hantarex Two Five Zero" the remix:)

kochane

Post by kochane » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:27 am

retromax wrote: I use two megadrive controllers too for the Megadrive emulation interfaced to one of four parallel ports i've installed, the other ports have a nes controller, a atari 2600 controller for Stella or sainT (which can be swapped for a cometition pro or quickshot joystick if i'm emulating the c64, Amstrad or Speccy), I also have one of those usb competition pro remakes too (though I tend to plug the original into the adapter). I also have a PS2 Guncon2 gun working on the pc that's great for Duck Hunt on the Nes emulator.
How do you connect the old gamepads to your computer? I have tried doing a google search on this but cannot seem to find the right stuff - do you need to be a dab hand at electronics or can any incapable person (such as myself) do this?

retromax

Post by retromax » Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:23 pm

kochane wrote:
retromax wrote: I use two megadrive controllers too for the Megadrive emulation interfaced to one of four parallel ports i've installed, the other ports have a nes controller, a atari 2600 controller for Stella or sainT (which can be swapped for a cometition pro or quickshot joystick if i'm emulating the c64, Amstrad or Speccy), I also have one of those usb competition pro remakes too (though I tend to plug the original into the adapter). I also have a PS2 Guncon2 gun working on the pc that's great for Duck Hunt on the Nes emulator.
How do you connect the old gamepads to your computer? I have tried doing a google search on this but cannot seem to find the right stuff - do you need to be a dab hand at electronics or can any incapable person (such as myself) do this?
It's not that hard, but i've been soldering stuff for ages now, basically you need a 9 pin d-type connector (if you are doing just the one controller) and a 25 pin, a few diodes some wire and a soldering iron. All that can be bought for a few quid from Maplin, then you need the software driver and away you go........... That's the simple version, if you think you have the skill to do this I can point you into the right directions for the full instructions and software.
Hi I'm Retromax you may remember me from such songs as "Hantarex Two Five Zero" and "Hantarex Two Five Zero" the remix:)

kochane

Post by kochane » Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:00 pm

retromax wrote:
kochane wrote:
retromax wrote:
It's not that hard, but i've been soldering stuff for ages now, basically you need a 9 pin d-type connector (if you are doing just the one controller) and a 25 pin, a few diodes some wire and a soldering iron. All that can be bought for a few quid from Maplin, then you need the software driver and away you go........... That's the simple version, if you think you have the skill to do this I can point you into the right directions for the full instructions and software.
Hmm never soldered anything so not too sure about that! I was kind of hoping that there was just a simple adapter I could buy instead.

retromax

Post by retromax » Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:32 pm

Hmm never soldered anything so not too sure about that! I was kind of hoping that there was just a simple adapter I could buy instead.
not too sure then, there was something called the stella adapter for 1 button atari joysticks but i doubt that would work as the megadrive one has more buttons.