I miss Turrican

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

What's better??

Poll ended at Sat Dec 24, 2005 5:33 am

Turrican
56%
Super Mario
38%
Megaman
No votes
Shadow of the Beast
6%

Total votes: 16

mel the bell

Post by mel the bell » Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:07 pm

MARIO all the way

hey how do i vote in the poll? theres no clicky things???
On 2003-12-08 20:15, cyborg wrote:
You're all corporate bitches if you buy a console - face it. Unless it's a Phantom - in that case you're just stupid - because even if it did exist it'd be crap

Astro

Post by Astro » Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:30 pm

Universal soldier totally ripped that off

Darran@Retro Gamer

Re:

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:31 pm

Astro wrote:Universal soldier totally ripped that off
Well to be fair, it was suppossed to come out as a Turrican game, but the publisher in quiestion picked the Universal Soldier licence up and obviously thought it was easier to use an existing game.

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:14 pm

I have a copy of the universal soldier game for the Mega Drive in the cardboard box. it has ok graphics but it has the annoying "pixel-perfect jump that causes death" syndrome and the levels were a bit samey. Where as Turrican got the jumps just right, gorgeous graphics, and the music.......god, that music was damn good! It ranks with Speedball II as a game that if you didnt play it, you havent played anything.
But also managing to own Shadow of The Beast as well on the Spectrum , Amiga and more recently, the Master System, the best version has to be the spectrum version (if there has to be a best version!). As not only does it have a tad of playability, but it has nice graphics (abiet, monochrome blue, red or yellow). The only advantage, as mentioned before, is that the amiga version has the better graphics and music....shame it plays like a speak-your-weight machine: no playability at all like the master system version. for a 8-bit machine, it manages nice graphics (just about), nice music.......and bugger all gameplay! It looks like your watching a tech demo

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:23 pm

Turrican is a great game. There are several remakes avaiable for the PC. There is T4 Funeral, T2002, and Hurrican. I think T4 Funeral is the best one though!

Shadow of the Beast was always put onto Amigas in Dixons or Currys to show off the machines graphics. It has great scrolling and graphics but very little else. I think it was used a lot in the independent computer stores as a demo mainly. Don't remember anyway playing it! From what I heard it was rubbish to play!

emkay

Post by emkay » Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:17 am

AmazingJas wrote:Check this:

If you dig around on their main site, you'll find two very interesting things. Firstly, there's an old tech demo you can play, which is still quite good. Secondly, they have a movie showing the latest build which is absolutely jaw-dropping!
http://www.poke53280.de/news/index.php
The pokes version is good. But I miss something. It's the playability of the AMIGA version and the "drive" of Chris Hülsbeck's Music. And I miss some "special detail" (some glamour :) ) in the textures. And the "Turrican" suit doesn't look "heavy"...

emkay

Post by emkay » Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:22 am

Katzkatz wrote:Turrican is a great game. There are several remakes avaiable for the PC. There is T4 Funeral, T2002, and Hurrican. I think T4 Funeral is the best one though!

Yes, T4 funeral was way more like the original.

Shadow of the Beast was always put onto Amigas in Dixons or Currys to show off the machines graphics. It has great scrolling and graphics but very little else. I think it was used a lot in the independent computer stores as a demo mainly. Don't remember anyway playing it! From what I heard it was rubbish to play!
The game also turns into a GURU on 1MB AGNUS machines with Kick 1.3.

pocketmego

Post by pocketmego » Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:27 am

CraigGrannell wrote:I understand that at the time, and that even accounts for some of the bizarre reviews. However, aside from technical achievement, I can't see how anyone would really like that game now. I still listen to the music of all three games occasionally, but the game itself is something I don't think I'll ever return to. It's just so un-fun.

I couldn't agree more. I played it for the first time recently, not really having been exposed to it back in the day and I thought I was missing something. Everyone just raves so much about it, but it really isn't very much fun.

As for Turrican, I adore it on my C64 and faithfully and regularly play all 3. Both Super Turricans on the SNES are awesome, as is Mega Turrican which I think is the best Turrican game of all.

But, Turrican 1 on the Megadrive sucks MUCH ass.

-Ray