Most atmospheric game?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

thevulture

Re: Most atmospheric game?

Post by thevulture » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:53 pm

Nemesis?looked like Mr Hankies Dad :lol:

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:24 am

On subject of opa-opa saying fogging was limations of hardware(psone/silent hill) wonder IF he`s played an N64 game for a while,try the starwars rogue squadron games,turok,automobili-in multiplayer,etc.Hmmmn,Lot of fogging on,gasp! Superior hardware,same with High octane+Magic carpet on A pentium pc.I think you`ll find opa,it was a popular technique,used in 3D engines across the board at the time.

krusty40

Post by krusty40 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:27 am

thevulture wrote:On subject of opa-opa saying fogging was limations of hardware(psone/silent hill) wonder IF he`s played an N64 game for a while,try the starwars rogue squadron games,turok,automobili-in multiplayer,etc.Hmmmn,Lot of fogging on,gasp! Superior hardware,same with High octane+Magic carpet on A pentium pc.I think you`ll find opa,it was a popular technique,used in 3D engines across the board at the time.
plus the fog in the silent hill series was actually part of the story and it just so happened that it fitted in nicely with the limitations of the 32 bit playstation at the time (1999). the game would look terrible had there been no fog-buildings and streets would just pop up from nowhere and ruin the atmosphere. but because the fog is there and you cant see 10 feet in front of you it adds to atmosphere.
Some advertising campaigns are very long indeed...

dwitefry

Post by dwitefry » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:44 am

I actually really like fog and distance fog. I know some if not all of it was brought about by hardware limitations but it works really well. Things coming out the fog and no being able to seee where you are is creepy. They should say 'balls to new super duper hardware' and put it in a few more games. I'm all for it.

MeX

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:46 am

Well with Silent hill 2,they made it much more realistic(the fog)it was kept as Fans said it worked SO well in the 1st game.

bonerlaw

Post by bonerlaw » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:25 am

To games I played through recently.....

Bioshock and Fallout 3. Both really created believable worlds for me to explore!

sakuragen

Post by sakuragen » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:00 pm

The original Grandia. I know atmospheric maybe ain't the right word - but it created such a believeable, liveable world ith great characters. One of the very few games I didnt want to end. (Plus it had the very best ending of any game ever - so many games skimp on a good ending - this one went on and on and was a right proper reward for taking the time to play the game).

Devious

Post by Devious » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:09 pm

krusty40 wrote:
Devious wrote:I didn't say RE3 was too cartoony. I said the characters and the specific things they handled in the game were cartoony especially when compared with the realistic looking pre-rendered 3D backgrounds. It greatly detracted from a sense of realism.
to be fair, the characters were escaping form a city over-run by flaming zombies and a 9foot beast with a rocket launcher for an arm-realism pretty much goes out the window!
Taken from that perspective, just the fact that you're playing them on your TV is enough for a reality check.
krusty40 wrote:i respect your opinion its just personally i didnt find it detracted from any enjoyment of the game.
That wasn't my opinion. I rarely give opinions. I stated it as a fact. It does detract from the realism of the game. Whether the graphics bother you or not doesn't mean that at some degree those highly contrasting qualities of graphics don't disrupt the sense of realism in the game. That shouldn't be hard to fathom, I'm sure the creators understood this but since they were in hot competition they probably decided that the pre-rendered graphics were more important than maintaining a sense of realism throughout the game. I agree with them on that. That's why Silent Hill is a classic and RE3 is not. That's also not my opinion.

krusty40

Post by krusty40 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:12 pm

well i loved RE3 and would definitely rate it my fave game ever. i love it for different reasons than you obviously. i loved the plot, the fresh and tight puzzles, the graphics (still silky 9 years later!) and the best addition ever the Nemesis.
Silent Hill i loved because the story matched the look of the game so perfectly and the audio alone deserved an award for its highly unsettling use. :shock:

Devious

Post by Devious » Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:09 pm

Au contraire confrère. I like it for all the reasons you mentioned too, excepting that one small aforementioned graphical caveat. :wink:

I got the OST for Silent Hill offn the net. There's a link somewhere's around this forum for it and more under a 'ringtones from video game music thread.' :wink: :wink:

krusty40

Post by krusty40 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:23 pm

Devious wrote:Au contraire confrère. I like it for all the reasons you mentioned too, excepting that one small aforementioned graphical caveat. :wink:

I got the OST for Silent Hill offn the net. There's a link somewhere's around this forum for it and more under a 'ringtones from video game music thread.' :wink: :wink:
graphical caveat???? :? :?

Seadog74

Post by Seadog74 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:49 am

Storm, a budget game from Mastertronic. Quite atmospheric for 1986/7.

aaa

Post by aaa » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:07 pm

I've played several of the RE games (Cube remake, Zero, and RE4), and nothing about them made me give enough of a censored about them to overlook their many shortcomings and bother completing any of them even once.
I got the bad ending in Silent Hill about a week ago, and immediately started again and got the Good+ ending because I found the bad ending deeply unsatisfying. I think this is because SIlent Hill is an intricately crafted work of art designed to affect the player on several levels emotionally, whereas a Resident Evil game is just a string of arbitrarily placed obstacles and jump scares reinforced by the cheap artificial devices of cumbersome controls and a really shitty save system.
Repeated play ensures success.

krusty40

Post by krusty40 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:15 pm

aaa wrote:I've played several of the RE games (Cube remake, Zero, and RE4), and nothing about them made me give enough of a censored about them to overlook their many shortcomings and bother completing any of them even once.
I got the bad ending in Silent Hill about a week ago, and immediately started again and got the Good+ ending because I found the bad ending deeply unsatisfying. I think this is because SIlent Hill is an intricately crafted work of art designed to affect the player on several levels emotionally, whereas a Resident Evil game is just a string of arbitrarily placed obstacles and jump scares reinforced by the cheap artificial devices of cumbersome controls and a really shitty save system.
well one out of two aint bad! silent hill does get under your skin and in all the wrong ways. i was always dreading when the town shifted to the Otherworld as you knew things were about to get a thousand times worse ha!

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:28 am

I really loved the way Konami did the "other world" Silent Hill in the early games (especially the first one). Back on my first playthrough when I was getting used to the game I realised the fog horn signalled the "changing of worlds". From then on I was always very nervous when I heard that sound.
Also love the way the "other world" is defined - its dilapidated, bloody and predominantly built with metal gratings for floor/wall panels and just all round screwed up. Just creates a sense of tension when exploring it.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*