Most atmospheric game?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Opa-Opa

Re: Most atmospheric game?

Post by Opa-Opa » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:28 am

krusty40 wrote:Silent Hill did not have terrible graphics when released it was more "gritty" which added to the atmosphere.
can you imagine playing silent hill with crisp clean view of the streets and enemies ahead, with no grit or blood stained exteriors. it would be nothing but a typical adventure game with no outstanding features. who the hell wants to play that?
They were awfull graphics that konami tried to hide using a rubbish fog feature...
Nothing to do with the picture they were trying to get across such as blood stained exteriors and everything to do with how poor they were from the moment it was released.

Devious

Post by Devious » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:52 am

Just look at the buildings and their furnishings, the vehicles, the objects, etc. They looked very realistic for the PlayStation in Silent Hill. I believe you are thinking about pre-rendered non-interactive backgrounds such as those in RE. The objects in those games that are handled by the character stand out from the background because they are just laying on top of the static pre-rendered 3D background. If ever there is something that is a part of the 3D background that the character interacts with it requires an FMV animation, for example if I look at a high-res desk and attempt to open a desk drawer there is a split to a short animated movie (FMV) that shows the 3D drawer opening. In a real-time 3D background those things don't switch to other animation modes and back and so forth. So there is a continuity of realism that is never broken up. The sense of realism fails when all the character's surroundings are in high-res static 3D but the character is cartoony. Everytime I play RE3, which came out a year later than Silent Hill, at the beginning of the game I am reminded of this as I see realistic looking flames and wreckage in the backgrounds and I'm like wow this game looks cool, only to be disappointed at the sight of Jill popping up and looking all cartoony. :(

Link

MediaCult

Post by MediaCult » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:35 am

Opa-Opa wrote:
krusty40 wrote:Silent Hill did not have terrible graphics when released it was more "gritty" which added to the atmosphere.
can you imagine playing silent hill with crisp clean view of the streets and enemies ahead, with no grit or blood stained exteriors. it would be nothing but a typical adventure game with no outstanding features. who the hell wants to play that?
They were awfull graphics that konami tried to hide using a rubbish fog feature...
Nothing to do with the picture they were trying to get across such as blood stained exteriors and everything to do with how poor they were from the moment it was released.
Is this a known fact, or are you just airing your personal opinion?

It seems like you're just trying to provoke reaction by attacking a game you know is popular among gamers. Silent Hill's graphics, even though you like them or not, aren't disturbing the overall impact of the game if you're sitting down and playing it. It's not like the graphics are terrible:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yajKCNO6 ... re=related

Compared to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArlQ91tX ... re=related

Either way, graphics are one thing, atmosphere is another, and the game reeks of atmosphere if anything.
MobyGames profile: http://www.mobygames.com/user/sheet/userSheetId,131075/
PSN/Microsoft/Wii U/STEAM nickname: MediaCult (feel free to add me).

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:54 am

MediaCult wrote:
It seems like you're just trying to provoke reaction by attacking a game you know is popular among gamers. Silent Hill's graphics, even though you like them or not, aren't disturbing the overall impact of the game if you're sitting down and playing it. It's not like the graphics are terrible:

POSTER HAS AN OPINION SHOCK!!
Seems like your trying to prevoke a reaction by attacking a poster because their opinion differs from yours...
The graphics DID disturb the overall impact of the game for me, they are awfull and the fog is just an excuse to hide them, add this to the point I made earlier about the very poor controlls and you have what I and many others belive is an over rated pile of tosh...

MediaCult

Post by MediaCult » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:48 am

Opa-Opa wrote:
MediaCult wrote:

POSTER HAS AN OPINION SHOCK!!
Seems like your trying to prevoke a reaction by attacking a poster because their opinion differs from yours...
The graphics DID disturb the overall impact of the game for me, they are awfull and the fog is just an excuse to hide them, add this to the point I made earlier about the very poor controlls and you have what I and many others belive is an over rated pile of tosh...
An opinion isn't anything magnificent in itself if it doesn't relate to context (and especially if it's very biased to either-tosh-or-cream): I think you're way too harsh on Silent Hill, and the conclusion must be that you dislike most PS1 survival games in general, as this game isn't worse in this aspect than a lot of other PS1 games that also get praised. You can have your opinion of course, but even from seeing your points about the controls and graphics not being amazing (though PS1 is PS1 and I don't expect PS2 graphics for it), I am of course provoked since I really like the game and feel it's wrong dismissing such a unique experience based on things that could have been better, but IMO aren't unplayably bad by far.
MobyGames profile: http://www.mobygames.com/user/sheet/userSheetId,131075/
PSN/Microsoft/Wii U/STEAM nickname: MediaCult (feel free to add me).

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:21 am

Call Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth has a fanstastic (not to mention sinister) atmosphere. The second you get off the bus when you arrive in the town you can tell there is something not right. The fact you don't get a gun for part of the game keeps the atmosphere tense you are literally outnumbered and outgunned so all you can do is run and hide.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:26 am

Morning opa! :lol:

Anywho.......All the mags at the time,plus web poll`s today place this game in the top 20 Greatest psone game`s...Ever.Constantly being asked for a remake,now it`s getting one.Ladies and gentleman of the jury?there lie`s the evidence.History shall be the judge.

As for Dark corners?Tell me about it! amazing game,sadly few mags.saw the genius,there were some great review scores and some very unfair low scores.(*i was thinking of loaning this to weekend gamer for their show,but,just got a feeling it`s not opa`s kinda thing :lol: ).Great insanity bits as well,real Dark,forboding atmosphere,lovely!.

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:31 am

MediaCult wrote: I think you're way too harsh on Silent Hill, and the conclusion must be that you dislike most PS1 survival games in general, as this game isn't worse in this aspect than a lot of other PS1 games that also get praised. .
Another conclusion born out of assuption that just happens to be completey wrong..
I have a very nice collection of Playstation 1 survival games including Resident evil, Parasite Eve, Clock tower, Dino Crisis and many more..
I also have Silent Hill and found it to be graphically distracting with annoying controlls. There are far better survival games than SH...

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:55 am

Clock tower?As in loon with giant scissors chasing after you?Awfull,awfull game.Nearly as bad as Carrier on DC.Dino Crisis?ohh res.evil is poular so is jurassic park....i wonder :lol:

Auctually opa,YOUR wrong here,dino crisis?IS NOT SURVIVAL horror,As creator "shinji Mikami" himself:"Dino crisis is a PANIC horror as opposed to a survival horror.This is true because the majority of your time is spent solving puzzles,so when the time does come to fight off an enemy,it`s the last thing you were expecting"

Also,gonna back up my point of view with a good few fact`s here:

Back to psone silent hill tho.just to"add"to previous mentions of Just how high it`s held in regard,opm:10/10 at time of review,where as:dino cris was an 8,res.evil1+2 both got a 9/10............

Lets add a quote from gamesmasters preview:"the fogging and lack of light-normally something we`d rip a game apart for,just add more to it as you strain to see what`s making those strange noise`s"

Arcade mag.review:full 5 stars,chillingly atmospheric...all in Splendiferous 3D"

Psw:at time of review:"silent,violent and frightening-THE best game to buy this month"

C+VG`s top 100 games,OF ALL TIME(issue 218)silent hill at no.76.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:56 am

Silent hill`s Full 3D,Real time graphic`s engine,whilst lacked the Detailed Backdrops of Resident Evils PRERENDERED graphics,allowed for FAR more flexibility.The engine allowed camera to zoom in on action,employ swooping camera`s and multiple view point`s.ALL techniques common in films.The developers took inspiration from stephen king,David cronenburg,david lynch etc.After res.evil went all hollywood approach,they wanted to take horror back to it`s roots,scare on a more instinctive level.

And,are you seriousily telling me Resident evils controls are ANY better??????? :roll:

:lol: opa?How on earth can you compare Clock tower to Silent hill?-Clock tower is a "point and click" game.As for being superior?...It`s RARE i`ll give ya that.But look at the score`s it gets:

Gamespot:5.8

IGN(with Ex-zzap 64 Jaz Rignal reviewing it):5.5,MEDICORE"Patchy in-game graphics".

Also,customer reviews say about it`s graphic`s being:Muddled,shoddy and with Poor controls.and these from folks who OWN the game.

krusty40

Post by krusty40 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:28 am

Devious wrote:Just look at the buildings and their furnishings, the vehicles, the objects, etc. They looked very realistic for the PlayStation in Silent Hill. I believe you are thinking about pre-rendered non-interactive backgrounds such as those in RE. The objects in those games that are handled by the character stand out from the background because they are just laying on top of the static pre-rendered 3D background. If ever there is something that is a part of the 3D background that the character interacts with it requires an FMV animation, for example if I look at a high-res desk and attempt to open a desk drawer there is a split to a short animated movie (FMV) that shows the 3D drawer opening. In a real-time 3D background those things don't switch to other animation modes and back and so forth. So there is a continuity of realism that is never broken up. The sense of realism fails when all the character's surroundings are in high-res static 3D but the character is cartoony. Everytime I play RE3, which came out a year later than Silent Hill, at the beginning of the game I am reminded of this as I see realistic looking flames and wreckage in the backgrounds and I'm like wow this game looks cool, only to be disappointed at the sight of Jill popping up and looking all cartoony. :(

Link
whilst i dont agree with your comments about RE3 being too "cartoony" at all, i agree with your description of silent hill 1 in terns of graphics and design. people are saying the fog was to cover the limitations. by that argument i would never play any games because i would be constantly criticising the look of a game and why its not perfect instead of actually sitting down and enjoying the game for what it is. and Resident Evil games also had a drawback in that every time the character shifted from one pre-rendered background to the next there was a slight pause in the character animation which im sure many people noticed but it didnt detract from the enjoyment or the experience because the other factors like gameplay and plot were so absorbing. similarly with silent hill the interactive 3d background was innovative and essential to the story. the town is rough, gritty and industrial looking because thats what the story says! and it all adds to the atmosphere. the audio effects like the air sirens, children crying, faraway church bells etc all ADDED to the sense of isolation and unreality of the silent hill experience, certainly i would not have enjoyed the game had it been in spanking pre rendered graphics and devoid of any character or atmosphere. and i dont understand how people can say that the graphics were rubbish at the time thats simply not true. silent hill was released in the same year as tomb raider 4, medal of honour, metal gear solid-all games which silent hill matched or even bettered in terms of visuals.
Some advertising campaigns are very long indeed...

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:06 am

I died WAY too many times on res.evil when you had to out-run a pursuing boulder etc,because of rubbish controls :x

Devious

Post by Devious » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:20 am

I didn't say RE3 was too cartoony. I said the characters and the specific things they handled in the game were cartoony especially when compared with the realistic looking pre-rendered 3D backgrounds. It greatly detracted from a sense of realism. I noticed the lulls, too. Every time the character looked in a direction that caused the scene to change there was a noticeable lull while the pre-rendered backgrounds were read from the disc. In Silent Hill that was never necessary because it used real-time 3D graphics. It wasn't innovative. Many previous games used real-time graphics but in the few cases where the graphics looked good then you had sparse detail. This is why in most games that look good with real-time graphics they use building interiors with untextured wall surfaces, etc. and static light sources. This is due to the measly 4MB of texture memory and very limited processing power in the PSX. Silent Hill on the other hand, limited visibility depth, in order to maximize the use of the meager RAM to deliver unprecedented levels of detail and realism in the textures it used. Interiors of houses in Silent Hill look especially nice and detailed, they're very atmospheric and the lighting is amazing. I was just looking at the gameplay footage in MediaCult's post and the spectacular lighting effects of the torch in the darkened rooms. Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare released for the PC in 2001 doesn't even do lighting as well. Maybe Silent Hill influenced it. The female character uses a flashlight/torch the same way as Harry did in SH1. I just got through playing that game for awhile before I moved on to Overclocked, btw.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:38 pm

AITD:New nightmare?Very dissapointing game,Had DC version.looked splendid,just did`nt grab me at all.

krusty40

Post by krusty40 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:56 pm

Devious wrote:I didn't say RE3 was too cartoony. I said the characters and the specific things they handled in the game were cartoony especially when compared with the realistic looking pre-rendered 3D backgrounds. It greatly detracted from a sense of realism.
to be fair, the characters were escaping form a city over-run by flaming zombies and a 9foot beast with a rocket launcher for an arm-realism pretty much goes out the window! i respect your opinion its just personally i didnt find it detracted from any enjoyment of the game.it actually helped in a few cases as some of the background environments in silent hill took a bit longer to interact with. brilliant games though, both of them :D
Some advertising campaigns are very long indeed...