Was there ever a Simpsons video game years ago?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Sigma

Post by Sigma » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:00 pm

The Simpsons still has occassional moments of brilliance.

http://www.mediabum.com/videos/Cosmic-Wars.html

Then the rest of the episode went downhill badly just having some story about Homer and Marge boozing. They should have based the entire episode on the intro.

They have some nerve complaining about a series not being quite as good as it was back in the day though.

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:31 pm

I think their were a few Simpsons arcade games. If you go into the Royal Arcade in Deal(Kent) there is an aracde machine still in there. Just avoid the chavs!!!

Sigma

Post by Sigma » Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:32 pm

I vaguely remember an arcade game with Bart scooting along in isometric perspective on a skateboard.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:00 pm

I have an LCD game called Bart's Cupcake Crisis. No idea what I'm supposed to do in it after all these years.

Now then, The Simpsons - let's see Family Guy run for 22 years and still be as consistently funny as the Simpsons still is. You can go to any country in the world and mention the Simpsons, and you'll have something in common with at least someone.

The thing with Family Guy is that it's all based around pop culture references, not the characters. Watch the Simpsons ten years from now and it'll still be hilarious. Watch Family Guy ten years from now, and you probably won't get most of the jokes.

I still love the episodes from the first season, even the Tracy Ullman shorts I still think are hilarious. The Simpsons is amazing, and the only other "adult" cartoon that's ever come close to it is South Park, and now that has developed into the most socially aware/politically relevant TV show around, besides the news.

Summation: Family Guy = censored.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Space_turnip

Post by Space_turnip » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:48 pm

I've played a lot of the Simpsons games from that Wiki link, Bart vs the Space mutants on the speccy was genuinely good, hit and run was good fun and the recent Simpsons game was excellent, although it lacked any replay value.

I bought a load of Mega Drive games off a friend a couple of years ago and one of the games was Virtual Bart. Had never heard of it before but it's surprisingly good fun, and going from Ebay auctions at least, not that common.

acorn4eva

Post by acorn4eva » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:49 pm

SexyWayne wrote:
Mr. Laufeyson wrote:the arcade game was great! unfortunately, there wasn't a home port. you could just play it on mame if you wanted to play it now, though
believe it or not it was ported to the c64, ntsc land only tho:

http://www.lemon64.com/games/details.php?ID=2314
There was also a PC/DOS port, but I think that it might have only been released in North America.

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:51 am

Katzkatz wrote:I think their were a few Simpsons arcade games. If you go into the Royal Arcade in Deal(Kent) there is an aracde machine still in there. Just avoid the chavs!!!
There's only the one Simpsons arcade game, a four player scrolling beat 'em up.
Sigma wrote:I vaguely remember an arcade game with Bart scooting along in isometric perspective on a skateboard.
That's the same game as above, Bart rides around on a skateboard in the game and uses it as his attack weapon.
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:58 am

A guy on YouTube called thereallocomanic has reviewed the arcade game here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NX6-2lpu ... annel_page

And he has also reviewed the C64 port here....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUn20q3jgcU

It's well worth checking out his other videos too, he does a series called '8 Bit Wars' were he looks at Speccy/C64/Amstrad versions of games and decides which is the best one, he's usually pretty fair with his comments.

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:48 am

ToxieDogg wrote:
Katzkatz wrote:I think their were a few Simpsons arcade games. If you go into the Royal Arcade in Deal(Kent) there is an aracde machine still in there. Just avoid the chavs!!!
There's only the one Simpsons arcade game, a four player scrolling beat 'em up.
Sigma wrote:I vaguely remember an arcade game with Bart scooting along in isometric perspective on a skateboard.
That's the same game as above, Bart rides around on a skateboard in the game and uses it as his attack weapon.
You are right that the beat'em up game is the one that I saw in the arcade in Deal, however there is at least another Simpsons arcade game aka Simpsons bowling:-

http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?game_id=9549

WDeranged

Post by WDeranged » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:08 am

Tommy K wrote:Bart Simpson's Escape from Camp Deadly

I remember i had this on Game Boy :oops:
Holy hell that game was pants, I remember sitting in my grandad's greenhouse protecting their wood pile from thieves while playing it on my gameboy (that makes them sound really ancient doesn't it).

The Simpsons arcade game is still my favourite, even if most of the characters and 'plot' had nothing to do with the show :D

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:13 am

WDeranged wrote:
Tommy K wrote:Bart Simpson's Escape from Camp Deadly

I remember i had this on Game Boy :oops:
Holy hell that game was pants, I remember sitting in my grandad's greenhouse protecting their wood pile from thieves while playing it on my gameboy.

The Simpsons arcade game is still my favourite, even if most of the characters and 'plot' had nothing to do with the show :D
Ah Camp Deadly, Even though the game was pretty substandard I still spent quite a bit of time playing it until I finally managed to win it, haven't touched it again since though!

I always enjoyed Barts Nightmare for the Snes. The graphics captured the feel of the show really well and some of the subgames were pretty good as well (Bartzilla, Itchy and Scratchy, Bartman). Never did manage to get anywhere in the Indiana Bart level though, either a giant dummy would nail me or a platform would give way and kill me. Bah.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

STranger81

Post by STranger81 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:33 am

Didnt Virtual Springfield have the option to play video boxing?

The one that featured in one of the old episodes when Bart and Homer used to play it together.
Xbox gamer tag: kingboo81

rainbird rich

Re: Was there ever a Simpsons video game years ago?

Post by rainbird rich » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:43 am

krusty40 wrote:There have been quite a few (mostly dire) Simpsons games made for a variety of consoles in the past decade, but does anybody ever remember an arcade game of The Simpsons, or even the C64 or Mega Drive etc? i know they had a game for the PC in 1997 called Virtual Springfield but i cant remember anything before that.
Loads!

The first was 'Bart vs The Space Mutants' which was actually 'designed' (I use the term fairly loosely) by Matt Groening.

I project managed the Sega Megadrive, Sega Master System and Sega Game Gear conversions for 95% of their development cycle when they were destined to be a Mirrorsoft console release.
Richard H.
http://www.birdsanctuary.co.uk
Memories of Telecomsoft

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:38 pm

Katzkatz wrote:You are right that the beat'em up game is the one that I saw in the arcade in Deal, however there is at least another Simpsons arcade game aka Simpsons bowling:-

http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?game_id=9549
You're also right...I forgot about The Simpsons Bowling, even though I've played it :oops: ....as Homer would put it, 'D'oh!'

Titan

Post by Titan » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:22 am

ShadowMan wrote:
BennyTheGreek wrote:Typical of this disposable low attention span generation to censored off the finest comedy programme ever.

It just shows how fickle people are these days.

The Movie was brilliant and the latest episodes are still brilliant.....
Really? The first couple of episodes of S20 were OK and were funny in places but some are just bloody awful. The latest "Halloween" Special was pathetic and is the first time I gave up watching an episode part way through, the rest of the Season 20 episodes I watched were just as bad - the storylines have gotten so unbelievable and it seems the writers are really scraping the bottom of the barrel. Same goes for the last couple of seasons (18 and 19) - Its just nowhere near as good as it once was (my opinion of course).
Agreed- when I saw they couldn't even do a Halloween episode right anymore, I gave up watching the show. Which is something I thought I'd never do, as I've been a diehard fan of the show for most of my life (I'm 22).
They really need to end the show before the bad episodes outnumber the good ones. Well, if that hasn't happened already :(

And yes, most of the video games are either terrible or mediocre, but the Arcade Game, Hit and Run and "The Simpsons Game" stand out as good ones to me.

SMASH BROS FRIEND CODE: 1075-2488-1508