Recommend me a Retro RPG!!!

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Commander Jameson

Recommend me a Retro RPG!!!

Post by Commander Jameson » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:36 pm

OK, so I recently got my GP2X, and now it's groaning with stuff...and I don't know what to play first!

One genre I've always dismissed entirely is RPG's - never owned any for years until getting Zelda for the Wii, but soon got bored of that, SO - I've decided to give another one a try, but going more retro.

My question to you all is - which one?

I'm thinking 8 and 16 bit era, format /platform could be anything really, NES, SNES, SMS, Megadrive, GBA, Amiga, Spectrum....you get the idea.

SO if I'm only ever gonna play 1 RPG EVER - which should it be?

PLEASE nothing after 16 bit era, no PSX/N64 etc. as I want to do it handheld stylee.

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:45 pm

Secret of Mana- Snes
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

famicom69

Post by famicom69 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:47 pm

Chrono Trigger - SNES
Zelda: Links Awakening - Gameboy (Arguably one of the best games on the original Gameboy)
Final Fantasy IV Advance - GBA

Other recommendations include Mother3, Zelda: Link to the Past and Golden Sun. All are perfect for hand held gaming on the go.

Rinoa

Post by Rinoa » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:47 pm

Final Fantasy VI - SNES

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:50 pm

The Snes is positively drowning in quality RPG's. Some well known and well documented titles to try are Shadowrun, Zelda a Link to the Past, The Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger, Mario RPG, Earthbound - Mother 2 and the Final Fantasy games.

You can also try Sweet Home (not Mother :wink: ) on the NES which is basically the great, great ,grandad of Resident Evil.

Not too sure on the Megadrive front.

You can try some of the action oriented RPG's from the 16 bit comps like Dungeon Master, Captive, and other games of that ilk.

Then you've got early..ish PC RPG's like Baldurs Gate and Planescape Torment.

My favourite Snes RPG is Shadowrun, purely for the Bladerunner meets the Matrix storyline and ambience. You wake up in a morgue with a bomb in your head, no idea who you are or how you got there. You experience everything from Cyberspace and corporate hacking, Big guns and technology, through to Shamanic magic and fighting zombies and vampires. Fantastic game (with fairly ropey graphics). While J-RPG's are abundant and very similar (but largely excellent) on the Snes there is nothing else like Shadowrun on the system.
Last edited by FatTrucker on Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

tekaotaku

Post by tekaotaku » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:51 pm

Phantasy Star series - paticualy parts 3 and 4 (Ive only completed 3 and 4, find the older ones hard to play and didnt get on with the PS-Online series....)
Image - "still barking at the silver moon!"

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:09 pm

i loved suikoden on psone

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:14 pm

Commander Jameson wrote:PLEASE nothing after 16 bit era, no PSX/N64 etc. as I want to do it handheld stylee.
Fred83 wrote:i loved suikoden on psone
:roll: :D
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:43 pm

didnt see that :oops:

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:29 pm

Definitely Chrono Trigger, if it's only one RPG.

witchfinder

Post by witchfinder » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:39 pm

Eye of the Beholder!
The 100k Challenge - 40 Arcade Classics. 2 MAME Cabs. 1 Average Gamer.
Mastertronic Chronicles - Mastertronic C64 Game Collecting and Reviews
My Youtube Channel (featuring Mastertronic, Funspot, REPLAY and more!)

Rabiteman

Post by Rabiteman » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:41 pm

Chrono Trigger's the one to go for if you're after a traditional JRPG, although Final Fantasy VI is a superb alternative.

For an action RPG though Secret of Mana's top of the pile, but Zelda Link to the Past or Link's Awakening wouldn't disappoint either.

Shining Force 2 on the Megadrive if you want to try a strategy RPG.

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:11 pm

Suikoden I and II are good, but if you want to go really retro I'd eccomend Ultims IV, V,VI and VII.
Why not visit my ramblings at Garry's Gaming Blog

Romulous

Post by Romulous » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:25 pm

I would have to agree with Legend of Zelda on the SNES and moreso Secret of Mana on the SNES both games were absolutely fantastic and really kept you going back for one more try to further the adventure.

Zelda on the Gameboy was one of the first i played - especially after getting home after nightshift, in bed with a few cold cans of beer - HEY my day was your night 'hic'.
Failure isn't about falling down, failure is staying down.

Romulous

killbot

Post by killbot » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:36 pm

FatTrucker wrote:You can also try Mother on the NES which is basically the great, great ,grandad of Resident Evil.
Sweet Home, surely?
Not too sure on the Megadrive front.
Soleil, Landstalker, Phantasy Star IV, Shining Force 1&2, Shining In The Darkness, Story Of Thor... there aren't as many great RPGs as on the SNES, but there's still some really good stuff.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360