Opinion of the Wii?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

lexiomiguel

Opinion of the Wii?

Post by lexiomiguel » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:16 pm

I'll be honest.I really don't like the Wii.Sure Twilight Princess was awesome,Mario Galaxy was mildly fresh and amusing and FPSs work great with the controls,but the console and the company as a whole seem to have lost that universally appealing and conventional feel.What I mean is that the games that are coming out are obviously geared toward tweens and younger.I wasn't exactly rushing to the store to pickup Wii Music or Carnival Games.I just feel that the games of Nintendo's yesteryear had a universal appeal that overcame age.The second thing is that while the idea of the motion sensitive controls sounded awesome,in the beginning,it doesn't seem to have been implemented as well as it could have been.Twilight Princess used the controls perfectly.The ability to move Link and aim the bow with pinpoint precision was wonderful.Same thing for swinging his sword.It used the new controls in a conventional way.Instead it seems Nintendo thinks it can spew out kiddie game after kiddie game using these fun and goofy control schemes.I go into the local drug store and see these games being sold for 10 to 15 dollars apiece.What do you guys think?Am I alone on this?

TMR

Re: Opinion of the Wii?

Post by TMR » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:47 pm

lexiomiguel wrote:I wasn't exactly rushing to the store to pickup Wii Music or Carnival Games.I just feel that the games of Nintendo's yesteryear had a universal appeal that overcame age.
When my other half said we'd get a Wii for the kids at Christmas i wasn't sure... but if i'm totally honest, i've enjoyed playing Wii Sports (i spent two days playing tennis quite a bit and developed a "sporting injury" in the process), had the browser set up, made a little Mii that looked a bit like me... the only thing i didn't do was play when anyone was watching. =-)
lexiomiguel wrote:The second thing is that while the idea of the motion sensitive controls sounded awesome,in the beginning,it doesn't seem to have been implemented as well as it could have been.Twilight Princess used the controls perfectly.
It's right for some things and hideously wrong for others, i get the feeling that Ninty's policy is to insist that developers use the controls rather than letting them choose the option that would best suit the game (i'm told that's what happened with the DS at any rate). i love Geometry Wars: Galaxies on the Wii but trying to play with the wiimote and nunchuck... well, it's workable for a couple of galaxies but y'get lightly toasted after that without a classic controller. could be getting cynical, but perhaps Nintendo don't see themselves in the same way as Microsoft or Sony any more... they've pretty much leant more towards the good, clean and wholesome fun sales whilst everyone else went for the more edgy teen market for a while now so perhaps they're just taking it to extremes?

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:42 am

I haven't got a problem with the Wii. Great little console.
I have got a problem with all the third party developers and publishers who try to cash in on it's success with people outside the core gaming market and flood the shelves with shovelware though. :evil:
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:40 am

ToxieDogg wrote:I haven't got a problem with the Wii. Great little console.
I have got a problem with all the third party developers and publishers who try to cash in on it's success with people outside the core gaming market and flood the shelves with shovelware though. :evil:
Agreed.

I love Wii Sports, Guitar Hero WT, Mario Kart, Mario & Sonic at the Olympics, Trauma Center, Super Smash Bros, Link's Crossbow Training; Brain Training and Wii Fit are fun (possibly useful) distractions.....but I've played a lot of crap too.

However.....I've bowed to Games TM's reviews and I'm buying a PS3 now for my darker needs.

sleeper77

Post by sleeper77 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:40 am

I haven't bought the Wii yet. Not that I hate it, I think its a good console but there are very few games I would want to buy for it.
The amount of shovelware coming out is certainly changing my view as to how developers view the Wii. Whatever potential it could have is not being shown. If third rate party/casual aimed games are what sell well, then the quality titles are only going to be very few out of so many releases.

However, I might be wrong in saying this but I do think some developers would have and did have plans in making some great Wii games but are too scared to do this. The reason is because if we take a look at Manhunt 2 for example, even though it was a bad game anyway, it did not get released on its original launch date. When it did, it was edited to exclude anything controversial, even though there are hacked versions which claim to be the full uncensored game. So if these developers or publsihers have ideas to make a great Wii game but if its too violent and enforces a great interactive use of the motion sensors to carry out killing moves, then they would much rather avoid. They would fear that it would be banned, not launched on release day and having to edit out certain bits all to avoid bad publicity from the anti-gaming press and campaigners and any potential financial losses resulting from this. Saying this, Mad World will be coming out in the not too distant future so we shall see how it fares on all sides.

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:54 am

I used to use the Wii quite a lot, but since getting my 360 it hasn't had a look-in.

There are three main reasons for me - the first that the 360 has an excellent catalogue while the Wii has been absolutely miserly when it comes to decent releases in more recent times.

Secondly, I feel that with many games now, unorthodox control methods are simply tacked on just because the Wii makes it possible. A lot of the time this just doesn't work.

Finally, the online capabilities of XBLA and my PC far exceed those of the Wii. The friend code system is archaic rubbish and the questionable stability of the online features in some games means I simply can't be bothered going online with most of them.

If anything, I'll most likely pick up Mad World, HOTD: Overkill and PES '09, but past that nothing interests me at all.

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:07 am

I got to play on my uncle's one over Xmas and Mario Kart and Excite Truck are great on it. The online multiplayer are good on it!! Metroid Prime is good as well, and I brought him House of the Dead for Xmas. Those sort of games suit the Wii well. I think Let's Go Jungle would be good on it. The only other game which would suit the controller well would be a sort of Uridium style game where you could use the controller to flip the ship to turn the ship around.

Gnome

Post by Gnome » Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:57 am

Pretty happy with my Wii, even though I'm more of a PC gamer. Have played Wii Sports to death, still use Wii Fit as a daily (well sort of daily) light exercise opportunity, and have enjoyed more than a few great -though not fantastic- games. Also like the fact that two player light gun games are so heavily supported and easy to set up.

On the retro side of things, I've already abandoned the Virtual Console as it's ridiculously expensive, but I'm really into those lovely GameCube games I missed. Eternal Darkness, Donkey Konga, Star Wars, Ikaruga etc are so nice t ohave around.

What's more, the Broken Sword I - Director's Cut is coming to the Wii and this should be gaming heaven.
Usually blogging over at Gnome's Lair, steadily into Retro Treasures and some cabaret.

Team Alfie

Post by Team Alfie » Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:08 am

I love the Wii. Whenever I see someone on TV holding an Xbox 360 pad, I kinda don't want to look like that. They look like lazy ASBO tosspots. When I see someone on TV with a Wii Remote, sure, they can sometimes look silly as well, but I really believe Nintendo has taken game controllers in the right direction and hope we never see anything like the 360 or Dualshock pads ever again for future consoles. Trying the Resi 5 demo after having played Resi 4 on Wii rams home the simple brilliance of the Remote. We've seen the new game's controls getting a real pasting across the internet.

When it comes to the games, it's just about the same as it was with N64 and Gamecube: great games from Nintendo but not enough third party support - and that seems to be changing this year. Multiformat games will always be a problem because of the graphics, but it also allows for visual creativity like with No More Heroes and MadWorld. Super Mario Galaxy still looks better than anything on 360 and PS3 to my eyes.

Virtual Console is also magnificent, it's just a shame that emulators have spoiled it all for us over the years.

Trixta

Post by Trixta » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:25 am

If im honest, I've only bought the wii for the Nintendo games, theres not alot of great 3rd party games on it imo. Tho res4/no more heros are worth buying a wii for and im looking forward to the new house of the dead + mad world games.

sscott

Post by sscott » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:38 am

Apart from buying the SNK classics collection last week I've bought nothing for it in about 9 months. I wonder what us Wii owners have to look forward to (apart from Mad World, Overkill) this year?

thl

Post by thl » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:54 am

Don't know if i would intend to get the Nintendo Wii as I'm very happy with the Xbox360 and PS3.

When I first played it during the launch release, I was very amazed with the direction that Nintendo had took. Had a go on Wii Sports so often that I got sucked in with the immersity of the techonlogy. However, it does seem to fell short with decent releases. The online catalogue is still good, but looks light-weighted compared to XBLA and PSN. Don't know if CoD: WaW felt suited for the Wii despite being a first-person shooter that uses completely different control method.

moominpapa

Post by moominpapa » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:56 am

My main problem with the wii and the DS are their success. I worry that it's success and the success of casual games will mean less and less traditional games such as racing, fps and rpg games will be made as they are seen to make less money than the wii games. I love my 360 and gamertag and I'd hate to see this all go due to the success of games like Animal Crossing and Mario and Sonic go to the Olympics.

It's not all bad though, last year Mario Kart was the best selling game and at least in my opinion this it's a good game.

PubZombie

Post by PubZombie » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:03 am

the wii is pretty much a gimmick i think. I play it, I like the lightgun games i have resident evil umbrella and house of the dead 2 and 3 and i will get overkill because i have enough game points to get it free. Apart from that all my wii time is spent playing emulators and retro games on virtual console. I am going to rent twilight princess to soft hack it for the homebrew channel. apart from that i have no interest in playing commercial games on it and find the controller stupid and annoying, and looking at the amount of consoles being traded in so do many others, and casual gamers are getting money back in the credit crisis. its underpowered in terms of contemporary games and is massively overrated. good for retro gaming though so i will keep it - I have the full set of gamecube res evils to play
The Truth is but a Construct; empowering creator and subjugating consumer... "War is the continuation of 'politik' with the admixture of other means."

binatone; spectrum 48k; vic20; C64; Amiga; Sega MS; N64; GP2X, OpenPandora, IPad 3.

Gnome

Post by Gnome » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:03 am

sscott wrote:Apart from buying the SNK classics collection last week I've bought nothing for it in about 9 months. I wonder what us Wii owners have to look forward to (apart from Mad World, Overkill) this year?
I would suggest:

Broken Sword - Director's Cut

Sam and Max Season 2

The GameCube re-releases (provided they are cheap)

And that Indy game.

Hmm, not much really... Guess you have a rather valid point there. More so if you are not keen on adventures. Oh, well.
Usually blogging over at Gnome's Lair, steadily into Retro Treasures and some cabaret.