Opinion of the Wii?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

lexiomiguel

Post by lexiomiguel » Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:02 pm

CyberAly wrote:Sorry I didn't read the whole thread.

I was a massive Nintendo fan up till the Wii. I've got all their consoles. The reason the Wii annoys me is that it's too casual.

Also, the crappiness of the Wii is shown through the fact that the best games (SSBB, SMG, Mario Kart) are all played best with a Gamecube controller.
I also was a fan of Nintendo up until the Wii.Don't get me wrong I still love Nintendo but more so of what it was.My first system was the controversial N64 which is my favorite console,but I had mixed feelings about the Gamecube and simple have not enjoyed much of the Wii,which is the only current generation console I have.(My brother has an XBox 360 at my dad's).I found that when I looked at Nintendo's older systems,that I enjoyed them more than the Gamecube and Wii.I own a SNES but am borrowing a NES.

I actually find that I have more control over the jump attacks in SSBB because the C button is on the Nunchuck and the A and B buttons are on the Wiimote.

sscott

Post by sscott » Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:16 pm

A lot of the games we're waiting for will come out, sell OK or poorly (because our opinions are sadly a minority) and publishers won't bother again.

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:10 pm

gman72 wrote:i happen to think it's one of the worst things to happen to modern video gaming.
So how exactly do you work that out when it is now officially the biggest thing to happen to gaming ever, just recently piping the DS?
Fightersmegamix wrote:The pad is a gimmick that causes just as many problems as it solves. .
It's a new type of controller that's probably here to stay. I wouldn't call it a gimmick, just because it's different from what was there before.
Why not visit my ramblings at Garry's Gaming Blog

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:51 pm

CyberAly wrote:Also, the crappiness of the Wii is shown through the fact that the best games (SSBB, SMG, Mario Kart) are all played best with a Gamecube controller. I mean Twilight Princess was an exception to the rule, but i'm not gonna support the Wii for ONE game.
You lost me there. I didn't know that you could play Super Mario Galaxy with the Gamecube controller. Even if you could, you wouldn't have proper control over the on screen pointer. The Wii controls for SMG work just fine. I competely disagree withb you about Zelda too...it's a great game but it suits the Gamecube controller better, as when played on it's native platform (the Gamecube).

Do you also think that Metroid Prime 1 & 2 have better controls than Metroid Prime 3?

You're entitled to your opinion though ;)
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

lexiomiguel

Post by lexiomiguel » Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:08 am

ToxieDogg wrote: I competely disagree withb you about Zelda too...it's a great game but it suits the Gamecube controller better, as when played on it's native platform (the Gamecube).
Seriously?The Wii controls,at least in my opinion,were a huge upgrade to the gameplay.My main reason for this being that the ability to aim and click with the boomerang,bow and arrow and other weapons using the Wii controls,made the actions seem much more natural.And much easier.Plus you can still Z target.So you don't lose anything but instead gain when the controls are on the Wii.And I would also think that Metroid Prime 3 would work much better on the Wii controls.Once again because of the precision in aiming with the Wiimote.Please explain as I definitely agree with your Mario Galaxy opinion but really don't get why you think that way about Twilight Princess.

Shin_Gouki

Post by Shin_Gouki » Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:05 am

I've had one since November 07, and I've enjoyed Super Mario Galaxy and Resident Evil 4. Guitar Hero, Super Mario Kart, Wii Sports and Wii Play are good for an impromptu gaming session with mates/missus/family etc but when it comes to in depth games I'm left feeling very cold, which is why I'm currently playing Final Fantasy VII on my PS2. I wish I'd have saved more money and bought a PS3 instead.
真・豪鬼

krusty40

wi

Post by krusty40 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:22 am

no i totally agree with you, the wi tries to appeal to all age groups but 95% of the games are for kids or else they are designed so adults can play them but only in short bursts, there are very few adult serious games on the wi. thats the problem with the ds as well the games are all kiddie-i say bring out another brain game which was fun for everyone. cant understand why there hasnt been another brain game released recently-its a sure fire money spinner

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:33 am

GarryG wrote:It's a new type of controller that's probably here to stay. I wouldn't call it a gimmick, just because it's different from what was there before.
Its no different to the bongo's with donkey konga, the microphone with odama or a guitar with guitar hero. Its great fun for a particular game but that doesn't mean it would be the same for all games. The wii mote was perfect for wii sports and it can be used as a bat / sword / gun but there are too many games where it makes things more complex or adds nothing to the gameplay. I've had great fun playing soulcaliber with a fishing rod but I don't want novelty over quality for every game on a console.

The wii mote makes games more complicated than a pad. The actions in wii sports tennis are much more complex than virtua tennis, a button press with your thumb as opposed to movements of your arm, wrist and hand for the same same effect. The reason it seems easier is of course because you already know what movement to make as you have learned it already in real life or have seen it on tv. As soon as you are not performing everyday actions the controls become a knightmare as you waft around arms trying to relate what you are doing to whats happening onscreen.

Wii games are limited to simple real life movents which limits the type of game that will be successful. Once you require a leap of imagination the controls will either be simplified so you are not really in control or will become frustrating.

You can replace pad controls with small movements of the wiimote, shake left and right to hit something (instead of button A) shake up and down to jump (instead of button B) etc but I don't see how that gets you anywhere and you are introducing an element of error if the wiimote doesn't interpret the movements correctly.

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:52 am

Gotta admit it's nice to be able to play a gun game without having to buy a controller to play it with.

I personally have no problem with the Wii remote, it becomes second nature eventually. It's a controlling device, so's a joypad, joystick, trackball, gearstick, etc etc, each one will take time to adapt to if you've never used them before but eventually it'll just feel normal.

And there is the point that Pro Evo has never been better than on the wii, I admit it's not perfect, but it is a damn impressive attempt to show just what is possible if a developer actually spends some sort of time with the controller. Take Resi 5 as an example already, not even actually released yet and already people are complaining that the controls don't feel right, this is on a joypad, the likes of which we've dealt with for quite some time now. If they can't get that perfect, you surely can't expect them all to get the wii controls correct first time round. Can you? :?
Join the Retroleague, dip in and out or compete to be the best, everyone welcome! https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/retroleague/

TMR

Re: wi

Post by TMR » Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:59 am

krusty40 wrote:no i totally agree with you, the wi tries to appeal to all age groups but 95% of the games are for kids or else they are designed so adults can play them but only in short bursts, there are very few adult serious games on the wi. thats the problem with the ds as well the games are all kiddie
Thing is, someone has to take that market; the 360 and PS3 are aimed fairly squarely at over eighteens so there's not really a playground for younger gamers. Maybe it's just a case of us expecting Ninty to cater for us when they're more into being "down with the kids"?

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:09 am

Elgin_McQueen wrote:Gotta admit it's nice to be able to play a gun game without having to buy a controller to play it with.
Yeah its nice but how many lightgun games did you play before wii? I like the boxsets they come in too :)
Elgin_McQueen wrote:Take Resi 5 as an example already, not even actually released yet and already people are complaining that the controls don't feel right, this is on a joypad, the likes of which we've dealt with for quite some time now. If they can't get that perfect, you surely can't expect them all to get the wii controls correct first time round. Can you?
There nothing wrong with resi 5's controls its just that people are too used to playing with a standard control set, if something different comes along they can't adapt because they are too used too playing a certain way and would rather blame the control setup rather than their lack of skill.

It would be nice to be able to use the same argument for the wiimote but its not true, as they stand wiimote controls are not accurate enough that you can't blame the computer for mistakes and even if they were they don't work for many games.

I think that the wiimote idea is good for some games but it is fundementally flawed and limiting for most, developers have no problems getting to grips with it its just the main applications have already been used by nintendo.

Rinoa

Post by Rinoa » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:20 am

Our Wii is the least used console out of all the current gen systems. I use it for Wii Fit and My Fitness Coach (saves enormously on going to the gym) but that's about it.

We have Zelda, Metroid, Dragon Quest, Mario Kart, Wario Land, Paper Mario, Final Fantasy Fables, Okami and a couple of other games but other than those there's very little that appeals to us. We have a few Wii Ware and Virtual Console games too but to be honest I'd rather play the VC games on their original systems.

I like the Wii, just very disappointed at the lack of decent games and all the rubbish that's taken over the market.

Sir Hilary Bray

Post by Sir Hilary Bray » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:21 am

Just how much damage has the Wii done in the long run? sure it may have saved Nintendo, but how many people (like myself) are starting to back away from them?

IMO, Nintendo need to pull out all the stops for the next generation.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:58 am

It's true, that even though I'm not a Wii owner I've always enjoyed Nintendo gaming and enjoyed their arrogant stance of sticking to their guns and focusing on gameplay over graphics. I feel that Nintendo haven't capitalised on their major franchises this generation, if for instance the main focus of Nintendo was to start releasing true sequels to the games their real fans want like Pilotwings, F-Zero, 1080, Wave Race, Donkey Kong etc etc then I would buy one without hesitation. As it stands there are a handful of first party games which are top quality but nothing like the SNES/N64 days IMO.

I also heard that Dead Space is coming to the Wii also, how is that gonna work as the gfx and sound was really what gave that game the atmosphere in the first place.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:25 pm

Weekend_Warrior wrote:I'm still happy with my PS2. *Shrug*
Me too. Part of the reason I like the Wii is because it's similar to the PS2 capability wise. I know that sounds crazy but I all the online stuff for the 360/PS3 puts me off (just not interested). I know the Wii does online but thankfully, there aren't really any games that are too restrictive in single player mode.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.