Most annoying game character ever?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

de-void

Post by de-void » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:15 pm

Off the top of my head - the owl in the Wii Nights game (I had to sit through the beginning cutscenes a million times without being able to skip through them - a major design flaw :( ruining my hopes and expectations for the sequel I had built in my head for a decade immediately).

I am a member of a Retro Gaming Monthly Club where we choose 4 games to play that month. If you're interested, PM me. Mostly SNES based, branching out into PSX and MD/Genesis.

Chinnico

Post by Chinnico » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:15 pm

Rolling Ronny.

A skating clown damn similar to awful Ronald McDonald: deepest hate.
For both of them.

storm_maker

Post by storm_maker » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:09 pm

Bubsy by a country mile.

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:02 am

Issun from Okami.

Okami is a superb game but, my GOD what an annoying sidekick, trying to ruin things with it's overly helpful 'hints' (which just pretty much state the obvious) :x

Prince Tricky in Starfox Adventures got on my nerves quite a bit too, having to constantly drag him around everywhere and feed him, and he didn't really add to the game that much.Also Slippy Toad from the Starfox team. Who can ever forget the sheer horror of hearing him talk for the first time in Lylat Wars/Starfox 64? :lol:

Ultra-cheap boss characters like Kintaro in Mortal Kombat 2 deserve a mention as well.
ImageImage

RetroPassion - still live and kicking!
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:36 am

ToxieDogg wrote:
Prince Tricky in Starfox Adventures got on my nerves quite a bit too, having to constantly drag him around everywhere and feed him, and he didn't really add to the game that much.Also Slippy Toad from the Starfox team. Who can ever forget the sheer horror of hearing him talk for the first time in Lylat Wars/Starfox 64? :lol:
I knew I was forgetting someone, and Tricky was that someone. He almost ruined that game for me with his constant whining (IIIIIIIII'MMMMMMMM HHHHHHUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNGGGGGRRRRRRRRYYYYYYY FFFFOOOOOOXXXXXX). For the record, repeatly bashing him with your weapon does absolutely nothing, but feels so damn good :twisted:
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

AlleyKat

Post by AlleyKat » Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:57 am

Any of the sub Sonic the Hedgehog mascots with "attitude"- Bubsy, Zool, etc, etc.

The worst offenders though are Marcus Fenix and his, ahem, "friend" from Gears of War with their try-too-hard macho cussing and posturing.
Not only annoying, but deeply embarrassing.

What was the name of that dog mascot who was introduced into an episode of the Simpsons as a parody of focus group cool?

Poochy! All of the abominations above are this, basically:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=0Kk-aizUx ... re=related
speed/missile/double/laser/option/?

famicom69

Post by famicom69 » Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:27 am

Anything that opens its mouth in Skate 2.

nesmaster

Post by nesmaster » Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:07 am

The main character in Mass Effect is a right plonker :lol:
Xbox Live Gamer Tag:
SuperWarioMan

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:22 am

Pacman
Eat and eat and never put on weght

ET from that ET game on the 2600
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
rocky1980 wrote:Link from the Cdi games.... :shock:
Pacific wrote: Mortal Kombat - that stupid little man who used to pop onto the screen and say 'Whooopsy!'
He popped up a few months ago on a WWE PPV
Dragon's Lair[/b] (on the NES), Dirk was perhaps the most useless of any character in any game ever made
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/28184.html
He says it all

AlleyKat

Post by AlleyKat » Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:35 am

Oh, and Raiden's girlfriend in Metal Gear Solid 2 was one of the things that ruined that game. Being nagged by a needy virtual girlfriend via interminable codec messages might be one of the single worst things ever done in the name of videogaming.

:lol:
speed/missile/double/laser/option/?

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:40 am

Your dog in Hovver Bovver - helpful and annoying in equal measures

Threepwood with his weedy American accent

Talking Sonic
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:45 am

ToxieDogg wrote:Issun from Okami.

Okami is a superb game but, my GOD what an annoying sidekick, trying to ruin things with it's overly helpful 'hints' (which just pretty much state the obvious)

Prince Tricky in Starfox Adventures got on my nerves quite a bit too, having to constantly drag him around everywhere and feed him, and he didn't really add to the game that much.Also Slippy Toad from the Starfox team. Who can ever forget the sheer horror of hearing him talk for the first time in Lylat Wars/Starfox 64?
Well I'd disagree with all of that. Issun was a great character and one of the main reasons okami was a better game than the recent zelda's. Tricky and slippy toad are just a bit whiney, not really that anoying. I ended up liking Tricky in the end.

Most annoying characters for me are shadow the hedgehog, the tomb raider supporting cast, every character from an extreme sports game, tidus in FFX, hopalong woman in the second half of silent hill 4, funky kong and space marines with crew cuts (any).

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:17 am

- Zeus from World Heroes 2: Jet (what a cheap S.O.B)
- Dragon from World Heroes (stop shouting 'wooooo-hooooo!' FFS)
- Ken Amada from Persona 3
- Magaki from KOFXI (Come and fight instead of standing over there and using projctiles)
- Mizuchi from NeoGeo Battle Coliseum (same reason as above)
- Mr Resetti from Animal Crossing
- Yoshi (don't know why but his voice in the newer Mario games is really annoying)

Of the above, Magaki and Mizuchi are probably forgiveable because they are 'traditional SNK bosses' but the rest are really annoying. There's probably a load more but these are just a handful from recent memory.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:41 am

Megamixer wrote: - Magaki from KOFXI (Come and fight instead of standing over there and using projctiles)
- Mizuchi from NeoGeo Battle Coliseum (same reason as above)
I would add
All bossies from Neo Geo battle thingy

Rinoa

Post by Rinoa » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:16 am

AlleyKat wrote:Oh, and Raiden's girlfriend in Metal Gear Solid 2 was one of the things that ruined that game. Being nagged by a needy virtual girlfriend via interminable codec messages might be one of the single worst things ever done in the name of videogaming.

:lol:
I'd have to second that. Rose was a pain in the arse.