Resident Evil 4-death of a series?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

PubZombie

Post by PubZombie » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:08 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Resident Evil 4 was an incredible gaming experience that gave the series a much needed boot up the backside. Resident Evil 5 is a high def variation on this, so it should be incredible.

Sadly this isn't exactly the case (although it's still a very, very good game) and the reason for this (in my humble opinion) is Dead Space. Yes it rips off virtually every other survival horror game going, but it does it with such skill and EA's typically impeccable presentation that you can't help but be impressed by the final result.

It also features a wonderful control system that makes Resi 5's controls seem very out of date in comparison. I've played Resident Evil 5's demo to death and have been fortunate enough to see it at work and it's very, very good game that fans of the series are going to absolutely love. It's just not quite the leap over 4 that it could have been.
I agree with you regards Dead Space, it is worth owning as a piece of games production history in its own right, but i still feel Res4 was not what it could have been, or should have been. I want my zombies :twisted:
The Truth is but a Construct; empowering creator and subjugating consumer... "War is the continuation of 'politik' with the admixture of other means."

binatone; spectrum 48k; vic20; C64; Amiga; Sega MS; N64; GP2X, OpenPandora, IPad 3.

chrisgoodhead

Post by chrisgoodhead » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:06 pm

RE4 on PS2 is the one I'm playing through right now. It's the first game in years that I am making the time to play through. Now that I've got two small children, I've only been playing games in short bursts and mainly arcade stuff like Pacman where I can get a quick fix. But RE4 has sucked me in. I'm over 20 hours in and I know I'm playing it through to the end. I haven't completed a game for 2 years (it was Castlevania : Aria of Sorrow on GBA) so it's testament to RE4 that it's got me hooked.

Scary. Linear (so there's no getting lost and giving up or forgetting where you were supposed to be going). Absorbing, Scary. And in my opinion it's much better than the other two RE games I've played. The original (backtracking hell) and Code Veronica (better, but I lost interest because it didn't feel like it was going anywhere).

After this, I think I'm going to try one of those Grand Theft Auto games I've heard people going on about.