Resident Evil 4-death of a series?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:04 pm

clarance wrote:All I want to do in my Resi games is live out my Romero fantasies, and kill things: Get 'item a', go back to 'room a ', link 'item a' with 'item b' found in 'room a' and play it on 'object a' is not my idea of fun, did not challenge me cerebrally in any way, and does not induce an atmosphere of suspense.

Resi 4 however smacks all the buttons for me.
Think you should look more at Zombie shooter based game there mate, (origonal type) RE isn't really your best bet, it's survival-horror not FPS ;)

Maybe the RE Outbreak or even the Survivor stuff would be more along the lines you are looking for.
Why not visit my ramblings at Garry's Gaming Blog

clarance

Post by clarance » Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:07 pm

GarryG wrote:
clarance wrote:All I want to do in my Resi games is live out my Romero fantasies, and kill things: Get 'item a', go back to 'room a ', link 'item a' with 'item b' found in 'room a' and play it on 'object a' is not my idea of fun, did not challenge me cerebrally in any way, and does not induce an atmosphere of suspense.

Resi 4 however smacks all the buttons for me.
Think you should look more at Zombie shooter based game there mate, RE isn't really youre best bet ;)

Maybe the RE Outbreak or even the Survivor stuff would be more along the lines you are looking for.
No, cos I love the storyline and the atmosphere that's only engendered in the resi series.
Death may be your Santa Claus.

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:17 pm

clarance wrote:
GarryG wrote:Maybe the RE Outbreak or even the Survivor stuff would be more along the lines you are looking for.
No, cos I love the storyline and the atmosphere that's only engendered in the resi series.
Fair enough!
I can see whare RE4 would be the best for you then. RE5 looks to be shaping up well for you to, for me... not so much :( ;)
Why not visit my ramblings at Garry's Gaming Blog

Shin_Gouki

Post by Shin_Gouki » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:40 pm

Only recently finished the Wii version and thought it was great, one of the better games on the system.
真・豪鬼

kiwimike

Re: Resident Evil 4-death of a series?

Post by kiwimike » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:22 am

krusty40 wrote:Resident Evil 4 was nothing but a combat-heavy action adventure game with none of the atmosphere of the previous games and none of the puzzles. agree or disagree?
Sort of agree, although I love the game. It's different, with it's own atmosphere, but IMO it had to be. It had to evolve as the gameplay of the others was getting very stale. It was in danger of becoming like Tomb Raider...if it hadn't already.
I love the RE games, but the same formula game after game was wearing thin. Now, thanks to RE4 the franchise can move forward IMO, whereas the SIlent Hill games are getting worse as time goes on.

So certainly a different gameplay, and some don't like it- for me I love it and think it's a welcome addition :)

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:16 am

kiwimike wrote:Now, thanks to RE4 the franchise can move forward IMO, whereas the SIlent Hill games are getting worse as time goes on.
Silent hill is going backwards because the original development team don't make it and because it has no budget rather than inherent problems with the formula, it would be better if they removed combat altogether to distinguish it from the others (tomb raider should do the same).

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:57 am

Disagree - Its fantastic
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:15 am

Fightersmegamix wrote:
kiwimike wrote:Now, thanks to RE4 the franchise can move forward IMO, whereas the SIlent Hill games are getting worse as time goes on.
Silent hill is going backwards because the original development team don't make it and because it has no budget rather than inherent problems with the formula, it would be better if they removed combat altogether to distinguish it from the others (tomb raider should do the same).
Totally agree. It was the sound/music from the first two Silent hills, with the exploration of an abandoned town/horror parallell universe that made it so special with the atmosphere, in Tomb Raider it was the exploring vast areas. Both moved away from the original concepts.

TyronW

Post by TyronW » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:55 am

I do miss the puzzles, and believe they need to put them back into the game. But they wont, simple as. RE4 was essential the death of the OLD Resident Evil, but not the death of the series. Even though I'd love a new Resident Evil in the old style, Code Veronica X felt a bit stale in a few segments, and so the only way forward is the current Resident Evil.

If anything I want zombies back, I dont care if they're fast zombies - but I want a new Resident Evil style with zombies. That would be fantastic.

Or a remake of Resident Evil 2, in the style of RE4. But then again none of these have any chance of happening.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:01 am

TyronW wrote:I do miss the puzzles, and believe they need to put them back into the game. But they wont, simple as. RE4 was essential the death of the OLD Resident Evil, but not the death of the series. Even though I'd love a new Resident Evil in the old style, Code Veronica X felt a bit stale in a few segments, and so the only way forward is the current Resident Evil.

If anything I want zombies back, I dont care if they're fast zombies - but I want a new Resident Evil style with zombies. That would be fantastic.

Or a remake of Resident Evil 2, in the style of RE4. But then again none of these have any chance of happening.
The RE2 REmake does have a chance of happening. Capcom has commented in the past that they may remake the game further down the line. I live in hope that this happens, what with it being my favourite Resident Evil game and all!
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

TyronW

Post by TyronW » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:03 am

ShadowMan wrote:
TyronW wrote:I do miss the puzzles, and believe they need to put them back into the game. But they wont, simple as. RE4 was essential the death of the OLD Resident Evil, but not the death of the series. Even though I'd love a new Resident Evil in the old style, Code Veronica X felt a bit stale in a few segments, and so the only way forward is the current Resident Evil.

The RE2 REmake does have a chance of happening. Capcom has commented in the past that they may remake the game further down the line. I live in hope that this happens, what with it being my favourite Resident Evil game and all!
:shock: :shock: :shock:

Wow....that would be AMAZING. I've always hoped they would port RE2 to the DS, and then have multiplayer on both scenarios. But a remake would be awesome with online co-op.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:58 am

RE2 is most people's fave. It's a crying shame it wasn't given a REmake like the Cube original upgrade, it'd be a welcome addition.

WildWillyWilson

Post by WildWillyWilson » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:11 am

I thought RE4 was brilliant and had a great eerie atmopshere.

I downloaded the RE5 PS3 demo last nite and Im not very impressed to be honest, the control system spoilt it for me and felt a bit jerky and not very fluid.
Not that scary either to be honest.

bonerlaw

Post by bonerlaw » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:56 am

WildWillyWilson wrote:I thought RE4 was brilliant and had a great eerie atmopshere.

I downloaded the RE5 PS3 demo last nite and Im not very impressed to be honest, the control system spoilt it for me and felt a bit jerky and not very fluid.
Not that scary either to be honest.
Noooooo! Dont say that! I havent played it yet, but it has to be awesome, it just has to.......... :?

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:10 am

Resident Evil 4 was an incredible gaming experience that gave the series a much needed boot up the backside. Resident Evil 5 is a high def variation on this, so it should be incredible.

Sadly this isn't exactly the case (although it's still a very, very good game) and the reason for this (in my humble opinion) is Dead Space. Yes it rips off virtually every other survival horror game going, but it does it with such skill and EA's typically impeccable presentation that you can't help but be impressed by the final result.

It also features a wonderful control system that makes Resi 5's controls seem very out of date in comparison. I've played Resident Evil 5's demo to death and have been fortunate enough to see it at work and it's very, very good game that fans of the series are going to absolutely love. It's just not quite the leap over 4 that it could have been.