JRPG thread

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Rinoa

Post by Rinoa » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:29 pm

Fightersmegamix wrote:I've not played the second star ocean yet, it was expensive on Ps1 so I'm waiting for the PSP version then I'll hook it up to my retro tv. I'm assuming it's the same game with extra cutscenes like valkyrie profile and final fantasy tactics?
Looks like it is a nice upgrade to the original with a few extras:
The new PSP port of the classic capably manages to recreate that excellence with a worthwhile 16:9 rendition of the original that seems to play and look much better on the PSP than it did on the original system. A few choice upgrades further iron out the original's wrinkles. The upgrades include some new, stylish anime cut-scenes for the game's main story sequences, a truckload of voice acting work, some additional private action story sequences, and some new graphical flavor including redrawn character avatars.
:D

Valkyrie Profile - that's another series I haven't got round to playing yet despite owning the games!

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:37 pm

Don't particularly like jrpgs due to random fights, it always seem a chore to me, especially if the transition times are long! Pokemon were the only such games I liked. I did like Chrono Trigger too though. Other rpgs I like are Ys, star wars kotor, elder scrolls series and Jade Empire.

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:31 am

The upgrades include some new, stylish anime cut-scenes for the game's main story sequences, a truckload of voice acting work, some additional private action story sequences, and some new graphical flavor including redrawn character avatars.
Sounds good but hopefully the 'voice work' won't be the usual american rubbish.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:26 am

Final Fantasy VIII is my favourite game of all time. By system it would probably be...

PS1 - FFVIII
PS2 - too close to call...Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria/Odin Sphere and my current game-on-the-go Persona 3 FES are probably the best I have played.
Gamecube - Tales of Symphonia without a doubt. By contrast, the Wii sequel doesn't look nearly as good.
GBA - The port of FFVI. Playing this anywhere is amazing.
Megadrive - err...dunno? I did play quite a bit of PSIV though and I have to say it was brilliant.

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:02 am

Megamixer wrote:Tales of Symphonia without a doubt. By contrast, the Wii sequel doesn't look nearly as good.
Does anyone know when this is coming out? Play say 6th Feb - never trust their dates :) It looks ok, the loss of the world map is not a problem but the dodgy wiimote controls probably will be. Wafting around a wiimote for battles for more than 30 hours sounds like another winner for the wii, hopefully classic controls are included.

Couldn't get into persona 3 but i'm going to give 4 a chance.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:07 am

Panzer Dragoon Saga looks like it'll beat Breath of Fire 2 to my "Best JRPG". I'm playing it at the minute and really like the way the battle system has been implemented. Its a nice mix of action/strategy that is surprisingly fast paced and simple to get the hang of at the same time. The graphics are nice, and the story is quite interesting so far (though to be fair, all the Panzer Dragoon series confuses the hell out of me story wise!) I never thought that Panzer Dragoon would have translated so well to the RPG genre!
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:09 am

Fightersmegamix wrote:
Megamixer wrote:Tales of Symphonia without a doubt. By contrast, the Wii sequel doesn't look nearly as good.
Does anyone know when this is coming out? Play say 6th Feb - never trust their dates :) It looks ok, the loss of the world map is not a problem but the dodgy wiimote controls probably will be. Wafting around a wiimote for battles for more than 30 hours sounds like another winner for the wii, hopefully classic controls are included.

Couldn't get into persona 3 but i'm going to give 4 a chance.
My main problem with the new ToS is that the cel-shaded graphics that made the original so timeless are no more. You're right not to trust Play though - last time I checked, there was a listing for Pilotwings Wii :? As far as I know, ther hasn't been an EU date set at the moment.

I actually liked P3 so much that I started the main game all over again in FES instead of just playing The Answer. Gotta get it finished in time for 4.

liveinabin

Post by liveinabin » Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:29 pm

Am liking Star Ocean: First Departure on PSP. Good plot for a JRPG (not to deride them, but they're pretty much all the same).

As for best on each format. Well I don't have one for everything but:

SNES: Chrono Trigger
Saturn: Panzer Dragoon Saga
PS1: Xenogears (although it has zero replay value) with Final Fantasy VII a close second which I know is fashionable to hate now but I don't.
Gameboy: Pokemon Yellow

There's a few I liked but never finished such as Skies of Arcadia and FFIX.
No PS2 entry there either. I really liked FFXII, but only for a couple of weeks, it got so damn complicated. I want to spend time adventuring, not equipping stuff.

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:26 am

shadowman wrote:Panzer Dragoon Saga looks like it'll beat Breath of Fire 2 to my "Best JRPG". I'm playing it at the minute and really like the way the battle system has been implemented. Its a nice mix of action/strategy that is surprisingly fast paced and simple to get the hang of at the same time. The graphics are nice, and the story is quite interesting so far (though to be fair, all the Panzer Dragoon series confuses the hell out of me story wise!) I never thought that Panzer Dragoon would have translated so well to the RPG genre!
I loved that game and wish I hadn't sold it at the time (like everyone else :) ), hope you enjoy the ending :wink:

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:28 am

Fightersmegamix wrote:
shadowman wrote:Panzer Dragoon Saga looks like it'll beat Breath of Fire 2 to my "Best JRPG". I'm playing it at the minute and really like the way the battle system has been implemented. Its a nice mix of action/strategy that is surprisingly fast paced and simple to get the hang of at the same time. The graphics are nice, and the story is quite interesting so far (though to be fair, all the Panzer Dragoon series confuses the hell out of me story wise!) I never thought that Panzer Dragoon would have translated so well to the RPG genre!
I loved that game and wish I hadn't sold it at the time (like everyone else :) ), hope you enjoy the ending :wink:
No doubt I'll love it, I spent most of yesterday with the Saturn controller glued to my hand! Out of interest, how long is the game? I've already completed disc 1 and I thought I was taking it slow (exploring all the maps, leveling up a bit etc.)
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:30 am

Not as long as a 4 disk game would lead you to believe, I think it took me about 20 hours.

stvd

Post by stvd » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:20 am

I really enjoyed Jade Cocoon on the PS1. It's the only rpg I'd invested any considerable time into since Chrono Trigger & Zelda on the SNES.

I have a few rpg's on PS1, PS2, GBA, DS, DC & PSP but as I rarely have more than a few hours a week "play time" they're not the best genre to get into.

Some of the games (I can name just now) that I own and know I'll probably never play to the finish..... :(

Dragon Quest - The Journey of the Cursed King
Final Fantasy X-2
Jade Cocoon 2
Kingdom Hearts
Kingdom Hearts 2
Odin Sphere
Star Ocean - Till the End of Time
Valkyrie Profile 2 Silmeria
Breath of Fire IV
Final Fantasy VII
final Fantasy VIII
Parasite Eve II
The Adventures of Alundra
Tales of Phantasia
Silver
Grandia 2
Skies of Arcadia

Coopdevil

Post by Coopdevil » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:37 am

Interesting comment about 20 hours to complete Panzer Dragoon Saga - I'd play more JRPGs if they were about that length but the time required to play them seems to go up in leaps and bounds.

I remember doing about 23-25 hours on FFVII and regarding it as an epic but a couple of years ago I started the Dragon Quest game on PS2 (I forget the number) and gave up on 28 hours when it was obvious that I'd still only scratched the surface.

I loved FFVII and X, IX was OK but everything else I've started I've abandoned. I think I keep looking for the same sense of awe that I felt with FFVII but when modern games like Lost Odyssey seem to be pretty much the same game but with better graphics I lose interest. Perhaps the whole genre was a bit of a one-hit wonder for me, especially as very few of them want to do anything at all about the cliches and "seen these all before" feeling. For a genre based upon the revolutionary freedom and imagination found in tabletop RPGs, the JRPG genre is dreadfully small-c conservative.

Overheat

Post by Overheat » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:15 am

being pretty much the main genre that i play, i'm glad to see this thread rearing its ugly yet strangly attractive head. the main games for me are still the final fantasy series (i know they're meant to be banned from this thread, but i don't really care - banning ff games from jrpg thread is like banning grass from a field!) ff8 is still my personal favourite, i just love the characters and the love story is fantastic and really makes up for the disappointing conclusion to the love tease in ff7. don't get me wrong tho, 7 is absolutely stunning too. just as i thought jrpgs were starting to become old news, out came 7 to save the genre.

just before ff7 though there was what is for me an even better series born; suikoden took me by storm and made me realise just how good ps1 was going to be for jrpgs. the battlesystem is easily the best i've ever encounted and having over100 playable characters! stunning!

so for me the ps1 is the undisputed champion of the genre. other notable games for the system that are all truly amazing:
ff6
ff anthologies
ff9
ff chronicles
chrono cross
suikoden 2
castlevania: sotn
alundra
star ocean
vagrant story

heck, i'll just stop there as the list is in fact incredible, so just google it - lol. also, random battles for me actually make the best rpgs. it's an element that i much prefer to have.
Overheat's Top 10 Auctions *updated weekly (or thereabouts)* | CLICK HERE

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:30 am

Coopdevil wrote:I loved FFVII and X, IX was OK but everything else I've started I've abandoned. I think I keep looking for the same sense of awe that I felt with FFVII but when modern games like Lost Odyssey seem to be pretty much the same game but with better graphics I lose interest
RPG's seem to come in for a lot of unfair criticisms that could just as easily be targeted at any number of genres like FPS's, driving games or platformers. Lost oddessy is nothing like FFVII except they are both turn based rpg's. There are plenty of different rpg's out there, try persona for example.
Overheat wrote:the main games for me are still the final fantasy series (i know they're meant to be banned from this thread, but i don't really care - banning ff games from jrpg thread is like banning grass from a field!)
Well I never wanted to ban final fantasy just thought it would be better to expand things a little :) The only suikoden I've played at length is suikoden V, it was good but felt a bit cheap.

Lots of people loving the PS1, its a good console but the PS2 has a better selection:

Dragon quest, final fantasy, star ocean , shadow hearts, persona, suikoden, shin megami, valkyrie profile, rouge galaxy, dark cloud, xenosaga, odin sphere all in the uk.

Radiata stories, grandia, front mission, tales of legendia, wild arms on import

Nippon ichi stuff, stella deus, suikedon tactics etc as well as a load of lesser known games that are available in english.

The PS1 final fantasy's were a lot better than the PS2 counterparts but the PS2 has a wider selection of stuff.